What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

1 hour ago, durk said:

The Concours is not going that far for me. If you start rolling the throttle back much at all she sucks fuel. I think I’m averaging around 33-35mpg. The CBR has a smaller tank but actually gets better gas mileage. I would say the Concours can go farther but I’d be reluctant to push it. I’m guessing around 150 miles at normal twisties pace and I’m going to be wanting fuel. 

I can get mid-forties on the highway if I am not outrunning my shadow. I wish 6th was taller. I only ever use it on the freeway. Having an 8 gallon fuel tank is a factory installed cheat code. 

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to change the coolant and replace the hoses on the FJR, tomorrow. On the only ride that I have taken this year I kept smelling antifreeze when I stopped. I hope that I ordered all the hoses that I need. Not looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, Howabusa said:

I am going to change the coolant and replace the hoses on the FJR, tomorrow. On the only ride that I have taken this year I kept smelling antifreeze when I stopped. I hope that I ordered all the hoses that I need. Not looking forward to it.

Check the radiator cap, too. It could have a worn seal or weak pressure spring causing the coolant smell. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, durk said:

The Concours is not going that far for me. If you start rolling the throttle back much at all she sucks fuel. I think I’m averaging around 33-35mpg. The CBR has a smaller tank but actually gets better gas mileage. I would say the Concours can go farther but I’d be reluctant to push it. I’m guessing around 150 miles at normal twisties pace and I’m going to be wanting fuel. 

A switch to a slip on exhaust and an ECU reflash will gain you 4 to 5mpg.  It will also awaken the motor in the lower rpms. 

I average low 40s during commuting and riding on the superslab.  I refuel around 200 miles, but wouldn't feel uncomfortable going to 225 to 230  miles.

Playing in the twisties will obviously drop the mileage.

• Upvote 1

Changed the oil, flushed the clutch fluid, washed it, installed a ram mount, cleaned, and lubed the chain after yesterday’s shenanigans

EKh42QW.jpg

8k26zWg.jpg

btrmCiK.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 5/14/2021 at 10:35 PM, Howabusa said:

Got the FJR torn apart, drained the antifreeze, found the leak, replacing all the hoses.A269FA5B-CDC4-4652-B86A-E82A045531CB.thumb.jpeg.935df8c1fdca0a24ef2ae115fa2d3ccd.jpeg

Hey Kent... You probably know this but in case not... take some Scotchbrite or very fine sand paper and clean the oxidation from the metal bits the hoses clamp to. It's also a good idea to install fresh clamps. 

Glad your Yammie will live to see another 100k miles.  

• Upvote 1

On 5/7/2021 at 10:19 AM, MSerfozo said:

Ordered a fancy new sprocket from Europe for the Galespeed wheel on my Bandit.  It'll take them 3 weeks to make it and shipping is estimated at 35 days so maybe I'll get it by 4th of July?image.png.cbcc87e60585c63b651b20d0bc82f8ff.png

With that wait time I woulda ordered 2 lol.

3 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

With that wait time I woulda ordered 2 lol.

Looks like Supersprox is ahead of schedule.  Assembly was finished and the overseas shipping odyssey began on Mon.  It's in Germany as of today.

And don't think I didn't think about ordering 2, but for that price, I want to see how well I like it.

Monday I decided to order a set of Roadsmart 3s to have an extra set tires around since both bikes have the same size tires. Then I discovered this on the front tire of the Concours. 
uwcKA10.jpg

So the bike looks like this now. 
4H393kP.jpg

Guess I’ll have to order another set to have extras. I’m shocked how easily I was able to spoon off that rear tire. I’m guessing 80 degree weather makes tire removal easier than the 50-60 degree weather I often try to do it in. 

• Beer 2

10 hours ago, durk said:

Monday I decided to order a set of Roadsmart 3s to have an extra set tires around since both bikes have the same size tires. Then I discovered this on the front tire of the Concours. 
uwcKA10.jpg
4H393kP.jpg

Looks like you the old style TPMS. No need to replace those when they die. You can dissect them and replace the battery. With a little bit of patience.

On 5/13/2021 at 1:03 PM, durk said:

She's a thirsty girl when your wringing her neck all day. On the open road at highway paces ill get 200-220 outof a tank. But I didn't buy a bike for fuel mileage I bought it for smiles per gallon.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Looks like you the old style TPMS. No need to replace those when they die. You can dissect them and replace the battery. With a little bit of patience.

I’ve read you can do this. To be honest the front 1 is dead, and in cold weather the rear flashes. I’m half tempted to pull the rear. I hate when the dash starts flashing. I’ve never needed the dash to tell me the pressure on the CBR. I’ve have a tool to check that 🤷‍♂️  

T

55 minutes ago, durk said:

I’ve read you can do this. To be honest the front 1 is dead, and in cold weather the rear flashes. I’m half tempted to pull the rear. I hate when the dash starts flashing. I’ve never needed the dash to tell me the pressure on the CBR. I’ve have a tool to check that 🤷‍♂️  

TPMS is a peace of mind feature for me. If I hauled my kids around I would want it. A light warning me I am about to lose all of my stability before it happens is superior to a tire gauge in my tool kit. 

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

She's a thirsty girl when your wringing her neck all day. On the open road at highway paces ill get 200-220 outof a tank. But I didn't buy a bike for fuel mileage I bought it for smiles per gallon.

I am spoiled with the BMWs range, but the Wing was good enough that I just accepted the fuel range for what it was. Plus, mandatory rest breaks every 200 miles isn't a bad thing...even for us immortals. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pauly said:

@durk, are the Roadsmarts A-spec sidewalls? You might want a stiffer carcass on the big bike versus the CBR. It will handle better and they will last longer. @2talltim can correct me if I am wrong. 

Both Tim and Connie14 mentioned they got good mileage out of Roadsmarts. I will soon find out if that holds true for me as well. I can say that removing the BT023 that was on the rear I found the sidewall to be no more stiff than the Dunlops. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, durk said:

The battery replacement on the old TPMS isn't too bad.  I'm on my 2nd battery on each wheel.   I like the peace of mind of having TPMS.  It has alerted me that my tire had picked up nails in on 2 separate occasions over the years.

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Pauly said:

@durk, are the Roadsmarts A-spec sidewalls? You might want a stiffer carcass on the big bike versus the CBR. It will handle better and they will last longer. @2talltim can correct me if I am wrong. 

All the RS3s are more or less A spec or GT spec. They don't make one that's not. The RS3 are the heaviest carcassed tire I've ever found. Proably why they wear so good. But they also take a little longer to warm up in the cold.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

The RS3 are the heaviest carcassed tire I've ever found.

Which is why they are the biggest friggin pain in the butt to spoon on and off. 

The day I mounted them it was like 85 degrees here. I tossed the tires on my asphalt drive for an hour before mounting them. It really helped to make them more pliable. Still had to work to mount them. I didn’t need a second set of hands like I often have in the past. 

• Upvote 1