What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took the Connie out for a spirited with my daughter Tory. Put down 300 miles. Checked the rear tire at Calcutta gas station and realized we were using all the tire available there from edge to edge. I also discovered I’m developing the cupping issue @2talltim has posted photos of multiple times. Jury is still out on the Saddlemen seat I installed. It’s a definite improvement for the passenger but I’m not sure I like it for me and if it will make mamma happy. Time will tell. 
0UHrsOY.jpg

It took Tor some time to get used to not having to hold on and just lean back. Next move is to try a couple long days in the saddle to see if we can ride all the way to the Tail and back. 
qzNvmN0.jpg
V0lJKsg.jpg
Saddlemen seat for sure makes more room for me and the passenger. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, durk said:

Took the Connie out for a spirited with my daughter Tory. Put down 300 miles. Checked the rear tire at Calcutta gas station and realized we were using all the tire available there from edge to edge. I also discovered I’m developing the cupping issue @2talltim has posted photos of multiple times. Jury is still out on the Saddlemen seat I installed. It’s a definite improvement for the passenger but I’m not sure I like it for me and if it will make mamma happy. Time will tell. 
0UHrsOY.jpg

It took Tor some time to get used to not having to hold on and just lean back. Next move is to try a couple long days in the saddle to see if we can ride all the way to the Tail and back. 
qzNvmN0.jpg
V0lJKsg.jpg

I had the cupping issue with Michelins, but I haven't had that issue to the same degree with the Dunlop RS3s. 

For the record, the front tire can't cup if it's not on the ground. :lol:

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, durk said:

0UHrsOY.jpg

qzNvmN0.jpg
V0lJKsg.jpg

14 hours ago, Connie14 said:

I had the cupping issue with Michelins, but I haven't had that issue to the same degree with the Dunlop RS3s. 

For the record, the front tire can't cup if it's not on the ground. :lol:

Yup same here, never really found a cause of it just played around with different tires and found one that didn't do it as bad. PilotRoads and Angel GT tires were the worst. I also found the RoadSmart3 and BridgeStones are the best. The RoadSmarts being my go to tires for price and durability.  Only time I found it a issue was when I tried to stretch one front to two rears. If you change them together you will also be fine most of the time. 

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, durk said:

@2talltim and @Connie14 since you both chimed in, what windshield and seat are you both running on the Connie? What are your must have farkles as well?

For seats the two i would recommend are Russell Day Long and Terry's Custom Seat. I have the Terry's and @Connie14 has the RDL. 

For wind screens there is (was) only one I would recommend. The only problem isn they don't make them anymore. The Cee Bailey touring screen is tits. But Cee Bailey stopped making them a few years ago yo focus on aircraft plastics. Somtimes the pop up used on FB or Forums, just found @TheBrown57 one last year. Other then that I can't comment on screens. Just know the Vstream one can melt your dash if the sun hits it just right, but people love the function of them though.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Yup same here, never really found a cause of it just played around with different tires and found one that didn't do it as bad. PilotRoads and Angel GT tires were the worst. I also found the RoadSmart3 and BridgeStones are the best. The RoadSmarts being my go to tires for price and durability.  Only time I found it a issue was when I tried to stretch one front to two rears. If you change them together you will also be fine most of the time. 

Just checked, the rear is a Bridgestone. But I think some of my problem is I didn’t have my rebound cranked up enough. I just tightened it down some more. I’m just running the tires it came with so I’m not too upset. It has a Roadsmart 2 on the front and a Bridgestone BT023. 

43 minutes ago, durk said:

Just checked, the rear is a Bridgestone. But I think some of my problem is I didn’t have my rebound cranked up enough. I just tightened it down some more. I’m just running the tires it came with so I’m not too upset. It has a Roadsmart 2 on the front and a Bridgestone BT023. 

That 023 is probably the toughest tire ive ever ran on my bike. BUT. They don't grip well in the cold and or wet. Always loved the T30 EVO but the bike chews them un quick. Can't comment on the the RS2, only ever ran the RS3

My bike is set up stiff like a true sport bike. Preload is almost maxed out and think im 2 clicks out on my rebound. Im a heavy guy that likes the bike to feel tight and predicable but it does make for a rougher ride. 

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

I was tagged lol I am loving the Cee Bailey windshield but you really need to be mindful about windgusts and speed causing stress on the brackets. Mine broke but I managed to fix it with the help of a friend. @durk

I have the Corbin seat with the rear backrest as well an its a bit on the stiff side. I'm wanting to get a new seat and will probably go custom like Tim did. I need to get to Ohio for him to install my Roadsmarts I had shipped to his house for me too lol

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

That 023 is probably the toughest tire ive ever ran on my bike. BUT. They don't grip well in the cold and or wet. Always loved the T30 EVO but the bike chews them un quick. Can't comment on the the RS2, only ever ran the RS3

My bike is set up stiff like a true sport bike. Preload is almost maxed out and think im 2 clicks out on my rebound. Im a heavy guy that likes the bike to feel tight and predicable but it does make for a rougher ride. 

The 023 seemed okay yesterday and it wasn’t warm. I ran it pretty much edge to edge. I don’t quite like that. I’ll probably go with RS3s they seem to have more cornering clearance. I’ve run them forever on the CBR. I like them and I know what I’m getting. I basically just setup the bike exactly as you described prior to even reading your post. The front was already set to your specs but I was too soft on the rear. Thanks for the info. I had been looking at the V stream and decided to give it a shot sense you mentioned folks like it. Hopefully I don’t come out to a melted dash. 

1 hour ago, durk said:

The 023 seemed okay yesterday and it wasn’t warm. I ran it pretty much edge to edge. I don’t quite like that. I’ll probably go with RS3s they seem to have more cornering clearance. I’ve run them forever on the CBR. I like them and I know what I’m getting. I basically just setup the bike exactly as you described prior to even reading your post. The front was already set to your specs but I was too soft on the rear. Thanks for the info. I had been looking at the V stream and decided to give it a shot sense you mentioned folks like it. Hopefully I don’t come out to a melted dash. 

Like @2talltimstated, I'm running the RDL.  I'm using the Cal Sci Tall windshield. https://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Concoursprod.html

I'm not sure what size rear tire you have, but switching to a 55 series rear tire (from the 50 series stock tire) will give you a little more cornering clearance.  The 55 series tire also make initial turn into a curve a little more responsive. 

My other suggested farkles: motorcycle specific GPS, Ram-ball mounts for phone,  throttle lock(or after market cruise control like Tim), after market trunk, and I like to use a tank bag when I'm touring. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Connie14 said:

Like @2talltimstated, I'm running the RDL.  I'm using the Cal Sci Tall windshield. https://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Concoursprod.html

I'm not sure what size rear tire you have, but switching to a 55 series rear tire (from the 50 series stock tire) will give you a little more cornering clearance.  The 55 series tire also make initial turn into a curve a little more responsive. 

My other suggested farkles: motorcycle specific GPS, Ram-ball mounts for phone,  throttle lock(or after market cruise control like Tim), after market trunk, and I like to use a tank bag when I'm touring. 

Bike actually came with a throttle lock. It’s nice for the slab. I purchased a trunk I really like. I’ve been eyeballing a ram-ball mount. Thanks for the info. 

2 hours ago, durk said:

1 hour ago, Connie14 said:

Like Mike said switch to the 190/55 rear and you wont be edge to edge anymore untill well past scraping hard parts.

With the vstream if you know your going to park in the direct sun light just throw a towel over it. Where the screen curves act like a magnify glass and direct a hot spot on the dash(so Ive been told)

It took a couple weeks to complete everything but this is the latest updates on my bike.  I added some bar end mirrors and crash bars to the handlebars and than I got rid of the RH side case and put a clean cover on so you can watch the clutch go around.  No dry clutch rattle but at least you can still see it.  :)

IMG_20210425_154023795_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210425_154034893_HDR.jpg

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, 2talltim said:

With the vstream if you know your going to park in the direct sun light just throw a towel over it. Where the screen curves act like a magnify glass and direct a hot spot on the dash(so Ive been told)

I am on 6 or 7 motorcycle forums and from hanging out too many years I have read that the windscreen hot sun magnifying glass thing seems to be a common occurrence on multiple bikes.  I have a burn mark on the dash on my VFR.... gotta remember to bring a carry cloth to throw over on ride stops.... 

3 hours ago, mello dude said:

I am on 6 or 7 motorcycle forums and from hanging out too many years I have read that the windscreen hot sun magnifying glass thing seems to be a common occurrence on multiple bikes.  I have a burn mark on the dash on my VFR.... gotta remember to bring a carry cloth to throw over on ride stops.... 

Who even tucks under most windscreens? I plastidipped my last touring screen.

12 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Was a couple days ago but finally got the old girl out. 228 mile ride after work and still perfect in every way.

20210427_175049.jpg

Screenshot_20210427-215413_REVER.jpg

20210427_212921.jpg

I’m liking your setup (windscreen, seat, touring pegs).