What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

54 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

Thanks for the offer, but I’m not going off road on this whale.  I’m too old to be picking this thing up. 

Thats exactly why I got a DRZ. The Vstrom is fine on the highway and good on gravel, but its a handful when it gets a little tough. 

The DRZ I can easily pick up and makes tough roads easy. Gravel is fun. It will do highway but that is no fun on a dual sport.

Really I should have both and ADV and a dual sport but funds and garage space is lacking. 

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, CBBaron said:

Thats exactly why I got a DRZ. The Vstrom is fine on the highway and good on gravel, but its a handful when it gets a little tough. 

The DRZ I can easily pick up and makes tough roads easy. Gravel is fun. It will do highway but that is no fun on a dual sport.

Really I should have both and ADV and a dual sport but funds and garage space is lacking. 

That's kinda why I like the Versys 300x.  It strikes a good balance.  It's fine on the highway and good enough on gravel and dirt, and under 390lbs.

I'll buy one as soon as Kawasaki puts the Ninja 400 motor in it, which is hopefully next year.

Edited by Tpoppa

11 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

That's kinda why I like the Versys 300x.  It strikes a good balance.  It's fine on the highway and good enough on gravel and dirt, and under 390lbs.

I'll buy one as soon as Kawasaki puts the Ninja 400 motor in it, which is hopefully next year.

11 hours ago, CBBaron said:

A good friend of mine has a KTM excf500.  It is very capable off road.  He has bags that he can strap onto it for multiday trips.  It's just a matter of getting the correct tires for street use.   He runs DOT knobbies, which limits the stability at high speeds (above 60mph or so). 

I went from a DRZ 400 to a KTM excf350.  It's street legal, but it is very light and nimble.  The 50/50 ties that came on out were fine for dual sport riding or roads, but I am running DOT knobbies for riding in mud & hill climbs.

When your done with the DRZ, you may want to check out the KTMs.  There are a lot of good bikes out there.

Yeah I swore off Dunlops, I will say it's a biased sample based on the crappy stock tires. I put on a new set of Bridgestone T31s and scrubbed them in on a 270 mile rip with @Skinny guy. So far so good, I was running the S22s. 

20200726_180015.jpg

20200726_180024.jpg

Edited by Muckles

I replaced the speedometer sensor on my 2007 919 today. The bike runs much better with ECU speed sensor input. I noticed my Micron single exhaust rear tip section got discolored in the 400 miles I drove with the failed sensor. 

30 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Same.

Dunlop tires are the equivalent of Fram filters.  They are widely available and extremely mediocre.

I have cupping on my new to me VFR 1200F front Dunlop. There are flat spots following the center grooves for about an inch centered on the tread. Seeing that was a first for me. New Pirelli Angel GT tires are on the way.

7 minutes ago, DSharek said:

I have cupping on my new to me VFR 1200F front Dunlop. There are flat spots following the center grooves for about an inch centered on the tread. Seeing that was a first for me. New Pirelli Angel GT tires are on the way.

I used to have a VFR1200.  I still have a Ventura Rack bracket for mounting a tail pack.  Want it?

Parts for my forks came to the house today, so I removed the them. I’ll drop everything off to a local shop Monday. Hopefully they can get them done quickly. 

JKgO6kU.jpg

• Beer 1

So my quad gets abused weekly if not daily. My seat wore a hole through the aluminum subframe. I decided to give the simple solutions aluminum welding rods a shot. The stuff seems to work great. You can see in the pictures I even grinded on the stuff. It was tough stuff. It may have even grinded harder than normal aluminum.

hole

uxA5rlQ.jpg

Patch for the hole

vsmQNCK.jpg

Welding equipment 

sVPR3FA.jpg

TdJJMHT.jpg

Welded and ground 

OTwn0aP.jpg

jh7AL0U.jpg

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, durk said:

So my quad gets abused weekly if not daily. My seat wore a hole through the aluminum subframe. I decided to give the simple solutions aluminum welding rods a shot. The stuff seems to work great. You can see in the pictures I even grinded on the stuff. It was tough stuff. It may have even grinded harder than normal aluminum.

hole

You did better than I ever did with mine. By the book I think that's brazing not welding. I have some fluzed AC rods too that will burn through aluminum but not much luck sticking stuff together.

1 hour ago, motocat12 said:

You did better than I ever did with mine. By the book I think that's brazing not welding. I have some fluzed AC rods too that will burn through aluminum but not much luck sticking stuff together.

I just followed the directions and it worked as advertised. 🤷‍♂️