What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

10 minutes ago, jacobhawkins said:

Good buddy finished the valve job on Isabella and ran her in the dyno.  She's real strong.  Especially for a bike that's 21 years old, 65k ish miles, and been run the crap out of for much of it.  @Pauly , I love this motorcycle.

received_1415393058849269.jpeg

Does this mean I might see you on the street again?

• Upvote 1

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Stock underslung rear caliper? That Duc was ahead of it's time.

Those are not brakes, it is a really fancy brake light switch. Duc's only have front brakes.

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, MSerfozo said:

Because my 1980's technology Bandit has it too?

Google is saying a possible minor weight loss. But most speak of easier tire changes which makes sense for a track bike.

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

Why is this mod worth doing? Serious question..I don't know.

roll wheel off, caliper stays in place. roll wheel on, caliper stays in place. it's also important on modern bikes because of wheel speed sensors being in the line of fire and very fragile if a person isn't careful putting the wheel back on.

• Beer 1

18 minutes ago, what said:

roll wheel off, caliper stays in place. roll wheel on, caliper stays in place. it's also important on modern bikes because of wheel speed sensors being in the line of fire and very fragile if a person isn't careful putting the wheel back on.

Looking at you, @Blitz

My carrier is not captured and falls when the axle is pulled and I can't remove the wheel without pulling the caliper - that would be a nice feature.  But I think another advantage is that the caliper floats with the suspension motion instead of being blocked by the top of the swingarm.

On 6/1/2020 at 10:32 AM, Tpoppa said:

The fraulien is getting new shoes then all ready to tear up some Appalachian curves.

IMG_20200601_102959.jpg

Dunlop Road Smart 3 tires are garbage.  Just posted this review on Revzilla

I installed a set of these on my BMW R1200R before a 5 day trip to Deal's Gap.  I've gone through many sets of ST tires (Conti RA, Angel GT, PR 2 3 4, Metz Z6 Z8, etc), I decided to give the RS3 a try.  I ran them at the manufacturers recommended  PSI, just like every other tire.

The Bad: 
First thing I noticed is that it doesn't take much lean angel to reach the edge of the rear tire.  When you do it slips...thankfully I have traction control.  The other ST tires I've used are capable of more lean angel.

Dry traction for the rear tire is not acceptable for spirited riding.  On corner exits with some lean angel, it's REALLY EASY to spin up the RS3.  First time it happened the rear slid way out before TC engaged.  After that I began to test the grip...On smoother road surfaces I could make make it spin in almost every 2nd or 3rd gear corner.  I went back to check some corners to make sure there was no gravel or sand...there wasn't...just black marks from the tire spinning.  I've never seen a tire that would lose grip so easily :(

I kept lowering the PSI trying to find more grip.  It helped a little but not enough.

The Good:  
Wet traction is pretty good
Would be a decent tire for commuting.
It seems to be wearing OK
The front tire was fine, it didn't slip like the rear tire. 

Verdict:
I've already spoken to a Dunlop tire tech.
After 2,500 miles (1 trip) these are going in the garbage before they wreck me.

On 6/25/2020 at 7:32 AM, 2talltim said:

I've taken my rear wheel off and back on in a cycle gear parking lot in about 3 min twice before. Shaft drive and splines and center stand FTW! 

20180810_114711.jpg.f5c95d144c70e9ed92597cf977daad6b.thumb.jpg.468fff890408f0f39c51078203a09ac6.jpg

Oh that was a day right there. It was so hot in Oklahoma.

1 hour ago, Tpoppa said:

I installed a set of these on my BMW R1200R before a 5 day trip to Deal's Gap.  I've gone through many sets of ST tires (Conti RA, Angel GT, PR 2 3 4, Metz Z6 Z8, etc), I decided to give the RS3 a try.  I ran them at the manufacturers recommended  PSI, just like every other tire.

The Bad: 
First thing I noticed is that it doesn't take much lean angel to reach the edge of the rear tire.  When you do it slips...thankfully I have traction control.  The other ST tires I've used are capable of more lean angel.

Dry traction for the rear tire is not acceptable for spirited riding.  On corner exits with some lean angel, it's REALLY EASY to spin up the RS3.  First time it happened the rear slid way out before TC engaged.  After that I began to test the grip...On smoother road surfaces I could make make it spin in almost every 2nd or 3rd gear corner.  I went back to check some corners to make sure there was no gravel or sand...there wasn't...just black marks from the tire spinning.  I've never seen a tire that would lose grip so easily :(

I kept lowering the PSI trying to find more grip.  It helped a little but not enough.

The Good:  

Verdict:

I think Dunlop may have changed something in their process. I’ve mentioned my issues with the RS2s. When they arrived they seemed to have a sheen to them that I don’t recall seeing on any of my previous tires. After my spill turning out of the drive I ordered a set of RS3s. They seemed to have the same kind of sheen when they arrived. I have run multiple RS3s prior to this set and they have always stuck pretty well. You have me concerned now. 

3 minutes ago, durk said:

I think Dunlop may have changed something in their process. I’ve mentioned my issues with the RS2s. When they arrived they seemed to have a sheen to them that I don’t recall seeing on any of my previous tires. After my spill turning out of the drive I ordered a set of RS3s. They seemed to have the same kind of sheen when they arrived. I have run multiple RS3s prior to this set and they have always stuck pretty well. You have me concerned now. 

If the road surface was rough they stuck ok-ish.  If the surface was smooth I was sliding a lot.  I've never had this with other tires.  My TC light was on a lot.

3 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

The Bad: 

The Good:  

Verdict:

Ive ran a couple sets of these and haven't had any of these issues. just had a new front put on at wheelers last weekend and railed it everywhere.I do know they are a very heavy carcass tire and it takes extra time to get any heat into them. But at the same time they last monger due to this too. Me and @JustinNck1 ran them for our trip out west and I ran a set for a gap trip the month before. maybe the heavier bike helps them perform better not sure. 

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1