What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

New Yuasa battery arrived for Strom while we were out riding the Wing. Filled the cells, let it sit, charged it.  Will install tomorrow.  👍  The old one was the original battery, so it’s 8 years old.  I know, it should have been replaced sooner, but that’s another story. 

Now I need to see if my car mechanic wants the old battery to recycle the core.  

• Upvote 1

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

New Yuasa battery arrived for Strom while we were out riding the Wing. Filled the cells, let it sit, charged it.  Will install tomorrow.  👍  The old one was the original battery, so it’s 8 years old.  I know, it should have been replaced sooner, but that’s another story. 

I was left stranded near 800/22 with a 5 year old Yuasa. I turned off the bike to get a better look at a construction road closure that I had not anticipated. Saw an opening and knew I could safely get through without doing harm to the site. Hopped back onto the bike, turned the key, gauges swept, thumbed the starter and heard a pop..and everything went silent. EVERYTHING. A perfectly fine battery that never gave me one indication it was about to fail just screwed me. The Voyager's battery did the same thing last year, but I have no idea how old it was. To be safe, 5 years is the farthest I will push another one. I replaced the Ducati's battery when I bought the bike and keep the old one on a trickle charger in the garage for my bailout battery. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Wahoo said:

interstatebatteries here pay like $5

• Upvote 1

I normally carry motorcycle jumper cables but have only ever used them to jump someone else’s bike.  I won’t wait so long next time.  Luckily mine took a dump in my garage, not on the road. 👍

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

I normally carry motorcycle jumper cables but have only ever used them to jump someone else’s bike.  I won’t wait so long next time.  Luckily mine took a dump in my garage, not on the road. 👍

Last time my battery took a shit I could jump it and get it running but as soon as I removed the jumper it died. Some newer bikes can't run on stator alone

8 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Last time my battery took a shit I could jump it and get it running but as soon as I removed the jumper it died. Some newer bikes can't run on stator alone

Maybe you need to keep it reving higher? they deff can run on stator alone or wouldn't run a full tank on one go.

It's a weird Kawasaki fuel injection thing. True of most of thier bikes. Both of mine were the same and have seen many reports of the same.

Battery goes bad and the ECU just won't work. Somehow the ECU use a signal voltage from the battery directly. Not really sure wtf is up.

9 hours ago, Pauly said:

The Voyager's battery did the same thing last year, but I have no idea how old it was

2ish years old when that happened to you.

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 1

On 6/12/2020 at 10:02 AM, Tpoppa said:

165 hp & 163 ft lbs.  This has been added to my garage bucket list.

I need to own one of these when used ones can be had under 10k.

I've thought those were sick since they came out with the new one. 

12 hours ago, durk said:

Clutch lever came in today. So, I  took the bike out to get a better idea on these Roadsmart 2s. They definitely need to be heated up before put to use. I tried to pull the front wheel after squaring up of course out of the drive. Nothing but tire spin. It wasn’t mold release that caused it. I made a run the other day with the broken lever that should have cleaned that up.  After a bit I started to push them in some curves near home and they felt okay. I doubt I will ever buy them again however. They are super hard and just not very grippy. Spooning on the rear was the biggest pain in the butt. I feel like the sidewalls on the things are so hard you could run them flat and not even notice. I know it’s not the most expensive tire but I’ve run Coni-motions and would take those over these things any day. Tomorrow I plan to head a little south and really test them out then make the decision whether to spoon on the Roadsmart 3s I already bought after these put me on my can. 

With the way you ride, in my personal opinion I'd say fuck tire life - go with something stickier. Its "cheap" insurance.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

How do you determine quality these days? image.png.512d9ad34ed315ccfc26214ad8f16691.png

It's subjective. I'm sure plenty of people ride fine on "X" tire but not everyone rides the same. That's why there are so many bike and tire choices out there.

Different tires are designed for different things. Don't try to fit a square peg into a round hole just because the square peg was cheaper.

1 minute ago, Tpoppa said:

RS2's seem to get decent reviews.  Even for light track duty.

I seem to recall reading that they could feel a bit mushy or vague, but should be just fine for street duty :dunno:

They did update them though and may be keeping the old reviews. I had the old. There is a claim the old were US made and the new are Thai.

49 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

You said Conti Motions weren't(I agree) by buying them, then knowing, then not rebuying

"YMMV". 

For the record, I bought them a few times. The tires were decent, when they were decent. Quality control was my issue. 

1 hour ago, motocat12 said:

They did update them though and may be keeping the old reviews. I had the old. There is a claim the old were US made and the new are Thai.

I have never been a fan of Dunlops.

Based on some really good reviews, I decided to give them another chance and just mounted a set of RS3's.  After 500 miles, they are just meh.  They are a little less confidence inspiring than the roached Metz Z8s they replaced :(

Thanks for thinking of me boys. I feel special right now. I hiked my skirt up today, though. I put in 300 miles on 164, 9, 646, 213, and 170. Once I got off the damp roads from a rain that came through before my arrival the tires were decent. For now I plan to keep them on the bike. If I start to feel uncomfortable I have a new set of tires sitting in the basement.

5 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

With the way you ride, in my personal opinion I'd say fuck tire life - go with something stickier. Its "cheap" insurance.

I get what you’re saying but I’d be changing tires 3-6 times a season if I do this. I’ve had multiple sport touring tires that have done just fine for me. I think I may need to just make sure these tires are good and warm before I start leaning. 

• Upvote 1