What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

Messed up putting on a new tank guard pad. It had 3 big interlocking Vs and the thin margins between them cause an overlap from the curve of the tank

No other choice but to trade it in and start again. 

2 minutes ago, Pauly said:

No other choice but to trade it in and start again. 

I just cut the overlaps off for now but it has an outlined pattern with uneaven margins now. The tank is not flat enough for it's large pattern. I was curious how the adhesive holds up in the heat anyway. The original had a dozen pieces with edges coming up so still an improvement. I'm sick of the fishbone shaped one that do fit curves well. 

s-l1600.jpg

I replaced tires yesterday. Threw on some Roadsmart 2s. Went to leave the drive for shakedown run and rear end slid out from under me. Broke clutch lever and foot peg, and busted up my left side fairings.  So far not liking Roadsmart 2. 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, durk said:

I replaced tires yesterday. Threw on some Roadsmart 2s. Went to leave the drive for shakedown run and rear end slid out from under me. Broke clutch lever and foot peg, and busted up my left side fairings.  So far not liking Roadsmart 2. 

mold release

16 minutes ago, durk said:

4 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

mold release

Yes, unfortunately.  Roadsmart 3s (just mounted a set, never tried 2s) use something different so new tires don't need as many scrub in miles.

46 minutes ago, durk said:

Ironic that you said that. Took mine out for a shake down and everything felt fine. Came back started to clean up and couldn't find my 10mm snap on allen socket.  At that moment I realized I'd fucked up. I took the socket off the ratchet and spun the bolt on the rear caliper by hand. Then got distracted, phone call i think. And didn't go back to tighten it. Socket still in the bolt. Once I realized this I checked the bolt only in half way at this point and socket is gone. Got my other socket and tightened it, thank God it didn't back all the way out on my shake down ride. Rear brakes would have failed and probably locked up and broke stuff. Once that was squared away I walked the driveway in hopes to find my $30 socket. And there it was by the mail box.

That whole thing could have been worse if I hadn't left the socket in the bolt and it not been missing when I cleaned up. Then on my gap trip next weekend the bolt backed out and put me in the hospital.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Yes, unfortunately.  Roadsmart 3s (just mounted a set, never tried 2s) use something different so new tires don't need as many scrub in miles.

I typically have run Roadsmart 3s.  I don’t feel I was aggressive leaving drive, but obviously I ended up on my can. My stupidity. Sometimes we have to pay for our education. 

19 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

I have no shame turning them on a stand with light sandpaper or scotch brite. I had the g1 RSII on my old bike's rear.

1 hour ago, motocat12 said:

I have no shame turning them on a stand with light sandpaper or scotch brite. I had the g1 RSII on my old bike's rear.

May become standard procedure for me from here on out. Never had this problem before. Again sometimes we have to pay for education

Damage I caused dropping it. 

rB13gZB.jpg

tJ7SDMl.jpg

Initial repair without go fast stickers. 

IPVW1dn.jpg

heB3shg.jpg

Completed with sticker cover ups. 

MiEDTFU.jpg

Just waiting on new clutch lever and pegs I ordered. It’s rideable as it sits. I had some pegs sitting around and the clutch lever is one of the cool kid shorty types now.  Going to see if I can take it out for that shake down run into town to get fuel. 

• Sad 1

Ordered a new battery for the Strom.  Went to grab a photo tag for the VStrom board and heard “clicking” of a weak battery.  It fired, and I went for the tag with my jumper cables in the top case, and just didn’t turn off the ignition.  It was 8 years old so it’s well beyond it’s normal lifespan.

I try to buy locally, but Amazon had same Yuasa high output battery for 25% less.  🤷🏻‍♂️  Oh well....

Edited by Wahoo

Clutch lever came in today. So, I  took the bike out to get a better idea on these Roadsmart 2s. They definitely need to be heated up before put to use. I tried to pull the front wheel after squaring up of course out of the drive. Nothing but tire spin. It wasn’t mold release that caused it. I made a run the other day with the broken lever that should have cleaned that up.  After a bit I started to push them in some curves near home and they felt okay. I doubt I will ever buy them again however. They are super hard and just not very grippy. Spooning on the rear was the biggest pain in the butt. I feel like the sidewalls on the things are so hard you could run them flat and not even notice. I know it’s not the most expensive tire but I’ve run Coni-motions and would take those over these things any day. Tomorrow I plan to head a little south and really test them out then make the decision whether to spoon on the Roadsmart 3s I already bought after these put me on my can. 

Hate to turn this into an oil thread,  but scuffing tires either on the road or with sandpaper is an urban myth. Even in Nascar they are not scuffing when you see the walk the car. They are scrubbing off track debris.

New tires still have mold release. It takes several heat cycles to get rid of it. You are better off grabbing the slab for 20 miles, stop for lunch them slab back home. That is two hear cycles and a good start.

27 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Hate to turn this into an oil thread,  but scuffing tires either on the road or with sandpaper is an urban myth. Even in Nascar they are not scuffing when you see the walk the car. They are scrubbing off track debris.

New tires still have mold release. It takes several heat cycles to get rid of it. You are better off grabbing the slab for 20 miles, stop for lunch them slab back home. That is two hear cycles and a good start.

won't scuffing remove the mold release?

https://www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk/riding-advice-and-guides/how-to-run-in-new-motorbike-tyres/#:~:text=Additionally%2C some chemicals are used,a slightly slippery%2C glossy surface.

The best way to get rid of the gloss on new tyres is to heat them up and to do that, they really need to be ridden.

But before you get out on the road on your bike your tyres should, as Bridgestone calls it, be buffed, with a dry cloth.

After you’ve buffed (rubbed with a dry cloth) it’s time to get out on the road and scrub them in.