What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Stop. Please don’t turn this into a discussion about how our bike felt in the hands of other forum members. It’ll get ugly fast lol

Geeze why don't you just call me out right now Dan? It's local to me, I see it occasionally.

Edited by TimTheAzn

On 12/8/2019 at 5:26 PM, Pauly said:

Installed Givi handguard extensions for the GS. The only other mod has been a handlebar riser, which was absolutely necessary for my short arms. Taking it to NJ tomorrow for work and coming home sometime Wednesday. I will bring my electric liner for the ride home. Forecast is calling for snow and high of 30 for Wednesday. 

Fancy Beemer, don't fail me now. 

I use the Barkbuster cold weather covers with heated grips for the winter. They slip right over your hand guards.

https://barkbusters.net/products/bbz/3487-bbz-001/

Snow Strom.JPG

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Tonik said:

Interesting, it feels the same about you.

It had nothing to do with the Voyager, minus luggage space...which I contemplated a rack like you bought for the Wing. Then, I contemplated a Wing before remembering you had to buy a rear rack to make up for the lack of stowage...which put me right back to square one. Thanks for nothing. The GS was more of a "work truck" upgrade. I wanted something capable of hauling 75 lbs worth of tools, clothes and my hammock, stove and camping whatnots. I see quite a few service trips ending as camping trips next season. 

The Whale is a permanent fixture and will be for some time. It rolled 80k miles this season. Clearly, I enjoy riding it. I just may not throw 10k a season on it and that probably isn't a bad thing. 

6 hours ago, Danimal said:

Stop. Please don’t turn this into a discussion about how our bike felt in the hands of other forum members. It’ll get ugly fast lol

Jim knows the Whale loves me more. 

48 minutes ago, B-Mac said:

I use the Barkbuster cold weather covers with heated grips for the winter. They slip right over your hand guards.

https://barkbusters.net/products/bbz/3487-bbz-001/

Snow Strom.JPG

I am not putting HippoHands on my snob hauler, but your Strom does look Boss as fuck. 

15 hours ago, Danimal said:

14 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Geeze why don't you just call me out right now Dan? It's local to me, I see it occasionally.

@Pokey sold me a POS. Worst bike I've ever owned. I hate it and never ride it. Should piss on it and set it on fire. What an a-hole. :lol: 

On 12/8/2019 at 5:26 PM, Pauly said:

Installed Givi handguard extensions for the GS. The only other mod has been a handlebar riser, which was absolutely necessary for my short arms. Taking it to NJ tomorrow for work and coming home sometime Wednesday. I will bring my electric liner for the ride home. Forecast is calling for snow and high of 30 for Wednesday. 

Fancy Beemer, don't fail me now. 

Just seeing your posts.  You may want to check out WISH.com for some generic (cheap) GS accessories.   For example....

https://www.wish.com/search/bmw gs/product/5ce22b3dd2dfc24ef71580be?&source=search&position=1

https://www.wish.com/search/bmw gs/product/594e074f53ebe23f79b79b42?&source=search&position=27

https://www.wish.com/search/bmw gs/product/5b40edf9a67b314e34e5cd9d?&source=search&position=7

• Beer 1

Rode about 300 miles today. I took 62 & 310 to Pickerington to visit my siblings. Temps were decent for December 23. I wore my textile suit with the quilted liner installed, my cool weather A-stars Stormrider gloves and Web boots with jeans and long sleeves underneath. No electric clothing and ran the grip heat on the low setting... was pretty comfortable most of the day. I think a heated vest would be more than sufficient to be quite comfortable. 

The roads were clean, except for one patch in the shade just as you turn right on 62 where it meets 83, in Millersburg. I hit that patch straight up and on the gas... like a big fucking dumbass. I have no idea how I did not high side. The backend shot left, then right, then left, then right... I really thought I was going to be thrown. Once I finished fishtailing across Lake 62, and hit dry pavement, the bike immediately stopped convulsing and just shot forward like a bullet. It was as composed as a preacher's wife in church... like nothing even happened. Meanwhile, I sucked my shorts up my asshole like they were a line of coke. That had me on high alert for a few miles. 

I almost hit a golf cart that decided to "jay walk" right in front of me. Luckily, I was only doing about 35 mph, because he caught me off guard. Nevertheless, I reacted with an immediate lever smash and the front end didn't even chirp. Not a dive, shimmy, slam... nothing. The bike just stopped. I had no idea the ABS took over until I saw the feedback on the BMW app that recorded my ride. Funny thing? Not a peep about my short stint on the ice was shown. Weird. 

Anyway... it was a nice trip to become better acquainted with the bike. With the exception of walking it backward down my brother's drive, I never noticed the weight of this bike. Even then it wasn't bad. I was just favoring my right leg, as it took a good smack from the engine guard during my little Icecapade. 100 mph feels like 50 on the Hyper. The highway is not a problem for this thing. It could use a little more windscreen, but I felt zero buffeting all day. It was just louder than I prefer. I was even able to ride through town at 35-45 with my visor up and I was comfortable. Cruise is good. The TFT dash is incredibly intuitive. My biggest hurdle will be learning the buttons for riding in the dark. Lots of buttons... 

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

I rode it home from IP to Sunbury this afternoon.  Soon it will be my wife's bike.  They had a 2019 Demo S40 with 145 miles on it for just a little bit more than the used Shadows available at the moment.  My perception is off because I'm used to a FZ07 and the GSXS but it wasn't bad.  It will do highway speeds as long as you are a little bit patient.  It was a tad bit cramped for my fat ass but it will be perfect for the wife if she takes to it.   If not I might just use it as a commuter bike during the summer.   We'll see.

In a few hours Christmas will either be epic or completely fucked.  Stay tuned.

48 minutes ago, Wojo72 said:

I rode it home from IP to Sunbury this afternoon.  Soon it will be my wife's bike.  They had a 2019 Demo S40 with 145 miles on it for just a little bit more than the used Shadows available at the moment.  My perception is off because I'm used to a FZ07 and the GSXS but it wasn't bad.  It will do highway speeds as long as you are a little bit patient.  It was a tad bit cramped for my fat ass but it will be perfect for the wife if she takes to it.   If not I might just use it as a commuter bike during the summer.   We'll see.

In a few hours Christmas will either be epic or completely fucked.  Stay tuned.

Did you get them down from 5399?

Yea.  $3999 plus tax and title and 5 IP t-shirts. I tried to get them to throw in some store credit but they wouldn't budge.  The sales dude claimed that he was losing money at that price.   I did a search on CycleTrader.  Nobody within driving distance was close on price.  There was one in MI that was a couple of hundred cheaper.  By the time I rented a trailer and paid for gas it wasn't worth it.  It wasn't the deal of the century but it gets her on the road with a warranty and I was able to pay cash.

Edited by Wojo72
  • Upvote 2

On 12/23/2019 at 10:55 PM, Pauly said:

Rode about 300 miles today. I took 62 & 310 to Pickerington to visit my siblings. Temps were decent for December 23. I wore my textile suit with the quilted liner installed, my cool weather A-stars Stormrider gloves and Web boots with jeans and long sleeves underneath. No electric clothing and ran the grip heat on the low setting... was pretty comfortable most of the day. I think a heated vest would be more than sufficient to be quite comfortable. 

The roads were clean, except for one patch in the shade just as you turn right on 62 where it meets 83, in Millersburg. I hit that patch straight up and on the gas... like a big fucking dumbass. I have no idea how I did not high side. The backend shot left, then right, then left, then right... I really thought I was going to be thrown. Once I finished fishtailing across Lake 62, and hit dry pavement, the bike immediately stopped convulsing and just shot forward like a bullet. It was as composed as a preacher's wife in church... like nothing even happened. Meanwhile, I sucked my shorts up my asshole like they were a line of coke. That had me on high alert for a few miles. 

I almost hit a golf cart that decided to "jay walk" right in front of me. Luckily, I was only doing about 35 mph, because he caught me off guard. Nevertheless, I reacted with an immediate lever smash and the front end didn't even chirp. Not a dive, shimmy, slam... nothing. The bike just stopped. I had no idea the ABS took over until I saw the feedback on the BMW app that recorded my ride. Funny thing? Not a peep about my short stint on the ice was shown. Weird. 

Anyway... it was a nice trip to become better acquainted with the bike. With the exception of walking it backward down my brother's drive, I never noticed the weight of this bike. Even then it wasn't bad. I was just favoring my right leg, as it took a good smack from the engine guard during my little Icecapade. 100 mph feels like 50 on the Hyper. The highway is not a problem for this thing. It could use a little more windscreen, but I felt zero buffeting all day. It was just louder than I prefer. I was even able to ride through town at 35-45 with my visor up and I was comfortable. Cruise is good. The TFT dash is incredibly intuitive. My biggest hurdle will be learning the buttons for riding in the dark. Lots of buttons... 

There's a BMW app??

Edit:  Only for bikes with TFT display!  Dammit!

Edited by Qman
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

No motorcycling today but the ground was frozen perfect this morning on my ATV track. I put in a few laps and was comfortable launching all but 1 of the doubles. It gave me a small Powersports I’ve been craving as of late. I also rode the bicycle for an hour. It was pretty good day for February. 

Sex Machine Racing clutch and springs put in the grom. No more clutch slipping hopefully means better drive out of corners. Next up is probably the Kitaco clutch cover case so I can ditch the damn oil spinner, I never realized how heavy that thing is - probably a good 5-7lbs of rotating mass that's eating away at rev speed.