What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

Yesterday I got a Givi Monokey plate and case used for my FJR from an older guy up in Delaware. One of his friends stopped by on a BMW while I was there and the one I was buying from said his friend has something like 1.1-1.2 million miles on bikes in his lifetime. I hope I'm that cool when I'm their age, lol. The one I bought from just traded in a 2010 FJR to Iron Pony about a month ago for a new Versys 1000. He out about 100k on the FJR. For all I know, one or both of them may be members on here. Anyway here's my FJR with the case. Not the best cosmetically, but it gets the job done and the price was worth it for the mounting plate alone. 

20180729_131133.jpg

20180729_131112.jpg

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks just like my bike...aside from the fact that yours has all the plastic intact and mine is going to be ordered this week. Be cautious with overloading that Givi. If you plan on keeping the FJR for awhile, I'd suggest getting the Givi SR357 rack. It offers a lot more support for the case and looks great as well.

3 hours ago, thompsonian said:

That looks just like my bike...aside from the fact that yours has all the plastic intact and mine is going to be ordered this week. Be cautious with overloading that Givi. If you plan on keeping the FJR for awhile, I'd suggest getting the Givi SR357 rack. It offers a lot more support for the case and looks great as well.

Yeah, I know. I've read the concerns about subframe stress. Some say it's overstated and the rack is made for the purpose, others say to be cautious. I may get the SR357 though, but I'd probably wait til next season at least. Either way, it's only going to be used for helmets when parked, or clothes/snacks/light stuff on trips and anything heavier in the side cases anyway. I'd like to get some kind of helmet lock solution since the FJR stupidly doesn't have any from the factory. 

8Rider6 - for the helmet lock, please talk to this guy on the FZ6 forum. From his handle (TownsendsFJR1300) you can tell he has or had an FJR. He makes & sells small things like the helmet locks and mounts for power outlets.

https://www.600riders.com/forum/member.php?u=6338

2 minutes ago, Shoop said:

8Rider6 - for the helmet lock, please talk to this guy on the FZ6 forum. From his handle (TownsendsFJR1300) you can tell he has or had an FJR. He makes & sells small things like the helmet locks and mounts for power outlets.

https://www.600riders.com/forum/member.php?u=6338

Do you know what kind of designs/mounting locations are offered? I put one of these in my 919's engine cage and it did well for a while, but the latch is worn now and vibrates loose while riding and could be forced open if someone tried.

https://www.amazon.com/Bikers-Choice-Helmet-Lock-74937BSE/dp/B0081HPGBW/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1533058073&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Helmet+lock

I'd like a beefier/more long-term solution and I don't like ones that mount to your master cylinder or bar ends. I may just have to use a simple cable and lock setup if I don't see a solution I like. 

8Rider6,

The pic below shows Scott Townsend's helmet lock bracket installed on an FZ6. That's the forum where I saw this. He also makes these parts for FJR's. I don't know where they are mounted but it would be different because the FJR rear subframe isn't made of round tubes. Anyway, the unit is pretty beefy as you prefer it because it is actually the Yamaha helmet lock that is mounted using Scott's bracket. A nice feature is that you can get the locket re-keyed so you can use your bike's ignition key.

Chris

image.thumb.png.700946b8ad2ec9ffe896982f1a6d4ce9.png

16 hours ago, Howabusa said:

I installed a new air filter and a new front axle. Going riding tomorrow.

New front axle?

OK, easy to do. But why? ( ... as Shoop starts wondering when he'll have to replace his front axle...)

3 hours ago, Shoop said:

New front axle?

OK, easy to do. But why? ( ... as Shoop starts wondering when he'll have to replace his front axle...)

Because last time I changed my front tire I did something stupid and screwed up the internal threads on the axle.

56 minutes ago, Connie14 said:

Rode it to lunch and back in Sault Ste. Marie, MI.

20180811_232306.jpg

Where did you go? That is one boring ass trip. My mom lives up there.  Congratulations on your IB!

Edited by cmh_sprint
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, cmh_sprint said:

Where did you go? That is one boring ass trip. My mom lives up there.  Congratulations on your IB!

We went to Karl's Cuisine.  It was pretty good.  I would go there again.

I went in support of my brother and cousin, so they could qualify for IB.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Connie14 said:

We went to Karl's Cuisine.  It was pretty good.  I would go there again.

I went in support of my brother and cousin, so they could qualify for IB.

I want to do an Iron Butt. I’ve talked about it for years. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, blue72beetle said:

Re-installed a previously eliminated fender.

Oh yeah, and I bought the thing today. @2talltim

IMG_20180811_174009-L.jpg

Nice.

Upgrade that rear plastic rack with that big box on it before it breaks. It looks like its still the OEM rack.

Get on the waiting list for a Terry's seat.

Looks like it already has EBC rotors

Edited by 2talltim