What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tore down my front brake calipers to clean them up. Other than  thousands and thousands of miles of Road crud the seals and pots all look good so I just clean them up and reassembled. Put them back on the bike and this is how it went.

Spent 45 min bleeding them.

Went for a ride

Garbage

Bleed them again

Went for a ride

Garbage 

Bleed them again 

Went for a ride

Better but still soft

Bleed again

Went for a longer ride

Much much better still a tad soft.

Crack a couple beers, bleed again.Put a zip tie on the lever to sit over night will test ride again tommorow.

Oh yea, I washed it too.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Qman said:

I assume you eliminated the link brake system altogether?

Yeah  - eliminated long ago, I'm running Super Hawk lowers, so the RC51 calipers are a direct bolt on. Brakes are normal now.... 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

U prolly changed every spec of nut and bolt on the viffer after all these years. :) 

and I couldn't mount the dayum rear tire on the striple. The dayum design of slipping in the rear rotor along with the tire into position and me only having two weakly stick hands not helping this :mad:

Yeah, I think your are right on the change everthing, the bikes been apart a good 4 or 5 times. I gotta quit screwing with it and get to - just ride it!

12 hours ago, Casper said:

Triumph's design for that sucks. I have a hard time getting my rear wheel on every time. 

The wheel with the lug nuts are one of the best features for the VFR.. I can pop the wheel off in 5 minutes tops, and if a beer was on the line, prolly get it back on in 4 minutes.. (Bosch impact driver assisted) HIt it with the torque wrench as the last step.. -- EZ peazy... Beat's pulling an axle and screwing with the chain... 

Dunno how the Triumph's would be.... 

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

Tore down my front brake calipers to clean them up. Other than  thousands and thousands of miles of Road crud the seals and pots all look good so I just clean them up and reassembled. Put them back on the bike and this is how it went.

Spent 45 min bleeding them.

Went for a ride

Garbage

Bleed them again

Went for a ride

Garbage 

Bleed them again 

Went for a ride

Better but still soft

Bleed again

Went for a longer ride

Much much better still a tad soft.

Crack a couple beers, bleed again.Put a zip tie on the lever to sit over night will test ride again tommorow.

Oh yea, I washed it too.

Dunno if you use speedbleeders but it makes the work waaaay easier. 

1 minute ago, mello dude said:

The wheel with the lug nuts are one of the best features for the VFR.. I can pop the wheel off in 5 minutes tops, and if a beer was on the line, prolly get it back on in 4 minutes.. (Bosch impact driver assisted) HIt it with the torque wrench as the last step.. -- EZ peazy... Beat's pulling an axle and screwing with the chain... 

this is exactly what i miss most about single sided swing arms, not just the classy beauty. But also the ease of work on it 

5 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

this is exactly what i miss most about single sided swing arms, not just the classy beauty. But also the ease of work on it 

I can take my rear wheel off on the side of the road with tools in my side bag and the center stand in 5 min. Shaft drives are equally as easy.

10 minutes ago, mello dude said:

Dunno if you use speedbleeders but it makes the work waaaay easier. 

Probably would but only do this once every couple of years. This time i drained the calipers dry so it took a little longer. 

4 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

I can take my rear wheel off on the side of the road with tools in my side bag and the center stand in 5 min. Shaft drives are equally as easy.

yea totally the fjr wheels can be changed easier than the striple. Still not as easy as the vfr. like few lug nuts thats it. You prolly could do it in 30 sec to 1 min if you take only 5 for connie. 

49 minutes ago, mello dude said:

Yeah, I think your are right on the change everthing, the bikes been apart a good 4 or 5 times. I gotta quit screwing with it and get to - just ride it!

Same with the BMW.  Dont even need to move the exhaust.:D

8 minutes ago, Xsr900Rider said:

Did more research on aftermarket exhaust. Leaning towards Black Widow out of the U.K. Full system for just over $400 shipped. 

I am very happy with my Pipewerx system. Also from the UK. Got in less than a week though.

11 minutes ago, Xsr900Rider said:

Did more research on aftermarket exhaust. Leaning towards Black Widow out of the U.K. Full system for just over $400 shipped. 

I put black widow full system on my white zrx. Not bad at all. If you go that direction buy directly from black widow. Cheaper that way. When added to cart with U.S. shipping destination the price drops. Shipping is pretty quick. 

Edited by Killer_kaw

26 minutes ago, Killer_kaw said:

I put black widow full system on my white zrx. Not bad at all. If you go that direction buy directly from black widow. Cheaper that way. When added to cart with U.S. shipping destination the price drops. Shipping is pretty quick. 

Thanks for the input always good to hear someone else has it and likes it. I'll be sure to go to them directly if that is the route I go. I just want some better sound than that stock pipe and a I think the black widow will give it a nice look. 

12 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

First time that me and the mrs. officially 2up on a bike. There was the one time when she was prgo 18 years ago i ran her a half mile uo the road total squid like. But tonight was the official first time. Did 215 miles to the Valley View Bike Night. It was a great feeling because just a year or more ago we were too heavy to do this, now  there is 190 lbs gone between us it was possible. Think she fell asleep on the way home..lol

FB_IMG_1500516923402.jpg.362e7b9d945b2791f79590c29fb25380.jpg

She just confirmed it, she did fall asleep..lol

• Upvote 3