What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

You may want to  check your facts. Air is a horrible conductor of heat. This makes it a good insulator. 

A radiator radiates heat as the name implies. The material the radiator is made from is doing the conducting, along with the  coolant inside it, both of which are more dense than air, which makes them good conductors of heat.

I use an air mattress  when I camp. Even on extremely cold autumn nights I don't have an issue with it freezing me, because air is a good insulator. 

20 minutes ago, Qman said:

You do know that air conducts heat rather well...just ask your radiator.  When air is trapped, and cannot  readily transfer heat via conduction, as in closed cell foam, it becomes a good insulator. An internally open air mattress will circulate air from your body to the ground and back and you'll freeze your ass off!

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave the meanstreak a pretty good shuffle on 565-537-260-wv16 and such today. No more fear of dragging hard parts. Only hit the pegs once. Bigger tires made a huge difference in clearance. Takes a little more effort and turns in a touch slower but I think it actually holds its line better. 

1 hour ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

You may want to  check your facts. Air is a horrible conductor of heat. This makes it a good insulator. 

A radiator radiates heat as the name implies. The material the radiator is made from is doing the conducting, along with the  coolant inside it, both of which are more dense than air, which makes them good conductors of heat.

I use an air mattress  when I camp. Even on extremely cold autumn nights I don't have an issue with it freezing me, because air is a good insulator. 

Whatever.  Im not gonna even try to rehash physics 101 after that ridiculous diatribe. Sleep on whatever or whoever you like.   To the person that asked the original question,...dont get an air mattress.

2 hours ago, Qman said:

I love my telelever!!?

My telelever blew a fork seal at 30k miles and covered the whole front of the bike in fork oil limping it home 100 miles. First on the road failure I ever had on a bike.

1 minute ago, JustinNck1 said:

My telelever blew a fork seal at 30k miles and covered the whole front of the bike in fork oil limping it home 100 miles. First on the road failure I ever had on a bike.

Yeah, yeah....and after all that you still had full damping and spring rate, didn't you?   

30 minutes ago, Qman said:

3 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

Yeah, but a fork rebuild is more affordable than a non-rebuildable shock...

Possibly, but a shock typically lasts longer than a fork, and you have TWO of them to worry about!

Edited by Qman

4 hours ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

Do you have a sleeping bag under you? f so that's why you don't get cold. I f your laying directly on the air mattress it will make you cold on a cold night. I'm speaking from experience here. A good pad will insulate better but a air matteress is more comfortable. I use a air matress but make sure i have a sleeping bag or bedding that insulates my back. 

• Upvote 1

Actually a reason you need a mat under the sleeping bag is because your weight flattens all the air out of the sleeping bag's insulation. even in hammocks they use under quilts in cool weather.

There are foam, air, and foam/air (thermarest) pads. I use cheap foam. I have looked at getting a reflective mylar coated pad

https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Thermal-Reflective-Olive-Sleeping/dp/B00ET42MLS

2 hours ago, motocat12 said:

Actually a reason you need a mat under the sleeping bag is because your weight flattens all the air out of the sleeping bag's insulation. even in hammocks they use under quilts in cool weather.

There are foam, air, and foam/air (thermarest) pads. I use cheap foam. I have looked at getting a reflective mylar coated pad

https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Thermal-Reflective-Olive-Sleeping/dp/B00ET42MLS

Many of the better ($$) pads will claim a "R-value" for insulation rating.  But as you say, if it gets compressed enough, that r value is meaningless.  I usually carry a thin blanket in addition to the sleeping bag for added "r-value", or, I use it as a pillow.

Speaking of pillow, after having some neck issues and being diagnosed with mild stenosis, I bought one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LW4CRSM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It helps a lot and folds away to very tiny.   Only downside is it's kinda noisy whenever you move.

FINALLY got to the oil change interval on my KTM Saturday.  Made a huge fucking mess.   Those silly kraut engineers decided to use the frame's breast bone as an auxiliary oil tank/cooler so the engine case is only responsible for a quart.   From what I gather the common practice for most owners is to burp at least half a quart during the initial process before learning how to do it cleanly.   Oh well, she's up and running clean again 

45 minutes ago, Hellmutt said:

FINALLY got to the oil change interval on my KTM Saturday.  Made a huge fucking mess.   Those silly kraut engineers decided to use the frame's breast bone as an auxiliary oil tank/cooler so the engine case is only responsible for a quart.   From what I gather the common practice for most owners is to burp at least half a quart during the initial process before learning how to do it cleanly.   Oh well, she's up and running clean again 

Must be fairly common design for dirt bikes. My DRZ has the same oil arrangement, most of the oil is in the frame, which needs to be drained first. I havnt made too much of a mess doing oil changes on that bike except for the small amount of oil I usually get on the engine case when I remove the filter cover.

I installed some new Zeta Pivot levers on the bike (need to get pictures). These are shorter and allow adjustment for reach in addition to folding out instead of breaking when I drop to bike.  

7 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Do you have a sleeping bag under you? f so that's why you don't get cold. I f your laying directly on the air mattress it will make you cold on a cold night. I'm speaking from experience here. A good pad will insulate better but a air matteress is more comfortable. I use a air matress but make sure i have a sleeping bag or bedding that insulates my back. 

I'm IN a sleeping bag. .that's how those work right? 

11 hours ago, Qman said:

Whatever.  Im not gonna even try to rehash physics 101 after that ridiculous diatribe. Sleep on whatever or whoever you like.   To the person that asked the original question,...dont get an air mattress.

No please, give me a physics lesson.

What about my statement is ridiculous? That radiators radiate heat? I'm confused. 

41 minutes ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

No please, give me a physics lesson.

What about my statement is ridiculous? That radiators radiate heat? I'm confused. 

Allow me to elaborate.

Air(gases) tend to absorb and radiate heat less than solids. When trapped.

And trapped really means without much room to move around.

So in this case, an air mattress has quite a bit of room for the air to move and transfer heat. Since the ability of the ground to absorb heat is large, the warmed air hits the bottom and loses some heat. Not a large amount but way more than you seem to believe. In fact it's not much less than contact with the ground over time.

Now take the air and put it in 1000s of bubbles like a foam pad, and the air in the pad really really raises the insulative properties of the pad. The transfer of the heat to and from thousands of air bubbles back and forth to the foam material itself and the air slows the heat loss greatly (much much more than pure air).

Even blankets help,but not much, because laying on it removes most of the air and allows most of the transfer to happen as if it was just one layer.

So yes, air is insulative. When trapped in small spaces.

Edited by nebbish
Hit save early
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

I'm IN a sleeping bag. .that's how those work right? 

That's why you don't feel cold on you air bed vs sleeping right against the mattress with just a blanket on top. 

2 hours ago, CBBaron said:

Must be fairly common design for dirt bikes. My DRZ has the same oil arrangement, most of the oil is in the frame, which needs to be drained first. I havnt made too much of a mess doing oil changes on that bike except for the small amount of oil I usually get on the engine case when I remove the filter cover.

This was my maiden voyage with KTM, and my first rodeo with a bike that uses a frame oil bag setup, but it's the burping process that made the mess.  It's totally my fault it happened since I didn't actually measure the oil amounts, so I'd put in 1/10 quart too much into the system.....but I'd assumed it would work it's way out during the burp....and that it did, all over the floor LOL.   I was lucky that the po gave me surgical tubing to make it easier to fill/burp, but my inexperience was the key part of this messy puzzle.   Next time will be much simpler for me, but it's good to know that this isn't just an orange bike design.

32 minutes ago, nebbish said:

Allow me to elaborate.

Air(gases) tend to absorb and radiate heat less than solids. When trapped.

And trapped really means without much room to move around.

So in this case, an air mattress has quite a bit of room for the air to move and transfer heat. Since the ability of the ground to absorb heat is large, the warmed air hits the bottom and loses some heat. Not a large amount but way more than you seem to believe. In fact it's not much less than contact with the ground over time.

Now take the air and put it in 1000s of bubbles like a foam pad, and the air in the pad really really raises the insulative properties of the pad. The transfer of the heat to and from thousands of air bubbles back and forth to the foam material itself and the air slows the heat loss greatly (much much more than pure air).

Even blankets help,but not much, because laying on it removes most of the air and allows most of the transfer to happen as if it was just one layer.

So yes, air is insulative. When trapped in small spaces.

Air in general is a poor conductor of heat. This is in comparison to other substances. I never claimed it was the bust insulator, but it is an insulator. That was all I was saying. I understand that air will sink heat out of your body in an air mattress, never said it wouldn't, but it's still better than being directly on the ground. 

Ok, I'm done on this.  Hoping to finally get around to putting my new springs and gold valves in the bandit forks while I have 2 days off work. 

2 minutes ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

Air in general is a poor conductor of heat. This is in comparison to other substances. I never claimed it was the bust insulator, but it is an insulator. That was all I was saying. I understand that air will sink heat out of your body in an air mattress, never said it wouldn't, but it's still better than being directly on the ground. 

Ok, I'm done on this.  Hoping to finally get around to putting my new springs and gold valves in the bandit forks while I have 2 days off work. 

Good luck on the upgrade.

4 hours ago, Tonik said:

Yammie does the same thing on many of their cruisers. they do it to lower the center of gravity.

I believe KTM did this to allow a smaller crankcase on the old bigbore.   Not sure the later model SMC's share the same design or not, but I'm not a fan - just more leak points in my opinion.....but I only have to change it every other season, so it's not a deal breaker

Rode it for 500 miles in 9hrs. Hit 83-377-555-676-26-260-800-148-9-164. Good day. Next order of business is to put Q3s back on and prep for Mid-O next Monday or Tuesday. Can't wait to try out this track thing. 

• Upvote 1