What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost bought a BMW C650 scooter.  I didn't but noticed the slick, enclosed chain drive setup.

"Final drive is by chain that runs in an oil bath. Adjustment, if needed, is done by changing guides for different thicknesses. Countershaft sprocket is located on the swingarm pivot axis for improved longevity."

final_drive.jpg

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

I almost bought a BMW C650 scooter.  I didn't but noticed the slick, enclosed chain drive setup.

"Final drive is by chain that runs in an oil bath. Adjustment, if needed, is done by changing guides for different thicknesses. Countershaft sprocket is located on the swingarm pivot axis for improved longevity."

final_drive.jpg

Nice....I figure if your cam chain can last hundreds of thousands of miles (and spins a LOT faster)...why can't a final drive chain do the same?

Also, there are many benefits of the co-axial drive placement.  Less wear is just one.

Edited by Qman

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

Stock chain on my TL had 42k miles when I took it off and it was still good I just wanted a purdier one. Always took care of it cleaning and lubing. I've heard other people say that stock chains last less than 10K so maybe that's a testament of what maintenance can do

42K wow. I guess I suck at maintaining chains. I usually get 15k, 20k if I'm lucky. 

Just finished making the routes for this weekend's Gap trip. For those who have used Garmin Basecamp, you know how bad it sucks. I created my routes with Tyre and it works flawless. It is like an advanced version of ITN Converter.

3 hours ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

The TL Was known for eating chains too. 42k is probably a record.

Might be..lol

I bought the bike with 17k on it. And I cleaned it with kerosene everytime the bike got washed and lubed with PJ1 clear maybe every 2 weeks or before every long ride.

2 hours ago, JustinNck1 said:

Just finished making the routes for this weekend's Gap trip. For those who have used Garmin Basecamp, you know how bad it sucks. I created my routes with Tyre and it works flawless. It is like an advanced version of ITN Converter.

Amen brother....Mapsource was infinitely easier.   I have yet to successfully setup 1 route using basecamp!

JB Welded a washer to the sheared-off fairing bracket on the track bike.

Put re-painted and repaired fairings back on track bike.

Searched everywhere for a lost Dzus pin to no avail, decided 5/6 is good enough for now.

Swapped out old trailer tires for new trailer tires, including a spare.

Put both bikes on tender. 

Edited by what

Figured out the problem. One of the fittings in the sandwich plate was hitting a fin on the crank case and preventing it from sealing. Ground the offending part of the fitting (the hex) off, and now there's no room to get the female fitting on. So now I can try and find a street 90 and hope it clears, or find a 90° 1/4 to -AN6 fitting and hope that clears. 

Also going to email the manufacturer and alert them of this ridiculous design flaw.

1 hour ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Per Ducati? Beats me. They keep changing their damn service schedule to suit market demands. 

Personally, I replace them about every 15k miles. Pushed a set to 24k before I lost my nerve and replaced them. 

Mine have just over 3k on them but I'm pretty sure that they're the originals one in the 996 so that is now approaching 18+ years.  

25 minutes ago, Danimal said:

I hate it when that happens:crazy:

Yeah, I shopped around for an anodized black 1/4 to AN6 90° and they're all a month away in China. I have a street elbow on my old cooler I can try tomorrow, at least that will let me see if the rest of my fittings and hose connections leak.

Flushed the clutch and brake fluid on the V-Rod - a nasty maintenance deferral courtesy of the previous owner. What came out of the rear brake looked a lot like chocolate milk with more milk than chocolate. Downside was that I realized the brake pads are ready for replacement too. I also disassembled the instrument cluster and polished off the faded, weathered coating on the glass and now it looks like new!

Flushed out the anti-freeze and put in water wetter. Also replaced the leaky thermostat seal which seems to have fixed my coolant leak. *fingers crossed* 

Tonight i'll change the oil, modify the front fender to allow a tire warmer and safety wire everything back up. 

• Upvote 1