What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started disconnecting all the wiring for the koso speedo/tach I put on the Honda last year. I wired it all in real quick and ugly and it really needs redone proper with solder and shrink tube. Also need to pull the exhaust and oil cooler in preparation for the new goodies coming in the mail and also replacing the swing arm bushings and putting tapered roller bearings in the steering head.

And eventually putting the new fork springs and gold valves in the bandit.

This is 'what are you doing to your bike eventually', right?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, 2talltim said:

I'll jump in on this tire conversation. I might have enough to get me through the season. 

16938551_10210567298153522_7941267262820374968_n.jpg.807b73befeb25ea9c21211e97072951a.jpg

Tim. Have you run the T30's before/opinion?  I think I'm gonna go for a set of the GT'S and give them a try. 50 dollar rebate and a set is under 200 for the FJR. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Al Z. Heimer said:

Tim. Have you run the T30's before/opinion?  I think I'm gonna go for a set of the GT'S and give them a try. 50 dollar rebate and a set is under 200 for the FJR. 

Sadly ive hated (almost) every Bridgestone tire ive ever used.   The BT 56 that came on the CBR1100xx was the only exception.

16 hours ago, ScubaCinci said:

Same tires I put on my Tenere...which will probably be headed to Illinois tomorrow with its new owner. I put the deposit down on the beemer today.:guitar:

Which Beemer???

On 3/4/2017 at 8:31 AM, Al Z. Heimer said:

Yep ran a couple sets. Honestly performance wise they are my favorites. Mileage is middle of the road. I got 3500 out of a set bit I'm extremely hard on tires. Worth the good price to me.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

Tires put back on, and new plugs. Just need the air cleaner to get here and I am done.  Also taped a note to the ignition to remind me both tires are new in case I forget on the first ride.

I got out for a nice 350 mile day!   About 36F when I left home, so the heated gloves and jacket liner came out.  Sunny and beautiful, with not a lot of crud on most roads.

On 3/3/2017 at 8:22 PM, jacobhawkins said:

Got the bike back from the tuner's and can't wait to play this weekend.  Not really anythingdid today, but just glad to get it back in my garage.  Sunday is looking decent so I'll try to get a few miles in.  Can't adequately say how great it was to work with J.D. Hord on the tune and overheating issue.  Easy going, fast, and reasonable.  126 whp and as long I keep from slicing coolant lines it should last a while!

Nice numbers! I was wondering how it would go for you with my header mod and a slip-on. I'm impressed! I just dropped my bike off Saturday for a tune. Having some cooling issues of my own, and like you hoping I'm not doing an engine swap. I always leave water/water wetter in the bike even over the winter because my garage doesn't freeze. But I loaded it up in my trailer Friday night to take it down early. And of course it got down to 15 that night. Coolant lines were frozen solid. Hoping I didn't cause internal damage. JD is going to let it thaw for a few days and hope for the best. 

Yeah, meant to let folks know about the fine work you @TRMN8TR did on the headers!  The welds look great and no issues with fitment or alignment to the midpipe on the can.  J.D. seemed pleased with the result.  That sucks about the freezing, hope since you didn't try to run it everything will be ok.  Freeze expansion goes into the reservoir, right?

Eh, not really. Freeze expansion starts expanding anything, anywhere. The ice doesn't really flow too well. These bikes don't have freeze plugs in the head, and it will break the head. I'm hoping I'm lucky and it wasn't outside too long to freeze everything solid. There was still water in the top of the radiator. JD told me another horror story of a guy who brought out his bike in the winter. Radiator was split, head was broke, etc. 

Ran into 2 guys today at the rest area on 22 @ Piedmont lake.  Ended up following for a few miles. They were pushing pretty hard for the surface conditions.    I think it was a K1200RS and a ZX14.  Anyone on this list??  I only saw 4 other bikes all day, otherwise I wouldn't bother asking!

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

That is spiffy as hell man.

Unfortunately only the exhaust is spiffy. The rest of the bike is a fucking mess. Stored it in my cousins dirt floor barn over the winter and every bit of bare metal is corroded. Might just pay to have the whole bike detailed.