What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Al Z. Heimer said:

Box-o-parts showed up last week. Got some garage time in and installed the bracket for the top case. Way bigger than I wanted but the price was right. 

image.jpeg

Does that double as a marine cooler?

4 hours ago, Al Z. Heimer said:

Box-o-parts showed up last week. Got some garage time in and installed the bracket for the top case. Way bigger than I wanted but the price was right. 

image.jpeg

Love the bike and color.  I have an affinity for silver.  Think that generation is the best looking.

Did the early model Snorkel upgrade, other users' photos did not express IRL how much smaller the updated snorkel was. Tried to start- No juice, shorted solenoed just a spark., Tugged on the starter switch tail while holding the clutch with my hip and pressing the starter button   Growl! Tore the switch apart and sprayed it with wd40 looked fine and seems to start now. Anyone have experience with Domino made in Italy switches? @Isaac's Papa ?

That sad feeling when you always thought the kill switch WAS red then you see the faded comparison with the fresh plastic inside. #KillSwitchIsNotForBoogerWiping

sn.jpg

ign.jpg

Edited by motocat12

52 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

Got the bike outside, rode it around the block and washed it. Fork springs are on backorder so I have to wait 2 weeks. Still need to service the driveshaft and grease swingarm pivot.

20170220_132914.thumb.jpg.885a80b1de5b78ef8005ecdc448d0c30.jpg

Needs fork springs already???  Or u just changing the rate?

6 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Valve and belt service has begun. 

I have to do this to my Sportclassic this year before I put it back on the road.  Ick.  On the plus side that new Multistrada I picked up now has 400 miles on it and I finally figured out how to make all the bluetooth farkles talk to each other.  This will be the first time in 25 some odd years of riding that I will have music in my helmet, well that and the bitching Betty from the GPS yelling at me when I miss a turn.  :lol: Gonna be a fun year of riding from the looks of it. :)

5 hours ago, JustinNck1 said:

Yeah I had BMW telelever, and I had a fork seal fail.

They're not seals in the traditional sense.  Theres just a little oil in there for slide lubrication. Most people ignore the small telelever seeps...wont hurt a thing.

5 hours ago, Qman said:

They're not seals in the traditional sense.  Theres just a little oil in there for slide lubrication. Most people ignore the small telelever seeps...wont hurt a thing.

They are just a simple fork seal like any other fork. So when they fail, they should be replaced. Mine failed at about New River Gorge on rt 60. By the time I got home, the front of the bike had an oil residue all over it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JustinNck1 said:

They are just a simple fork seal like any other fork. So when they fail, they should be replaced. Mine failed at about New River Gorge on rt 60. By the time I got home, the front of the bike had an oil residue all over it.

If they failed enough to get that much oil out, something must have impacted/damaged them.  They dont see much pressure, unlike "any other fork" seal.  On the other hand, there isnt supposed to be much oil in there in the first place!

6 minutes ago, Qman said:

If they failed enough to get that much oil out, something must have impacted/damaged them.  They dont see much pressure, unlike "any other fork" seal.  On the other hand, there isnt supposed to be much oil in there in the first place!

I did not impact or do anything to damage them. I didn't ride my K-bike nearly as hard as I do the FJR. Half a liter of oil per fork. It failed enough to have a small hole that sprayed like a mist when working the forks. You can defend all you want, but I am telling you a real world experience. The telelever system, like other forks, can have failures over time. Also depending on the year of the bike, they used multiple manufacturers, which use different fork seals. Must not be a perfect system if they changed them.

20 minutes ago, Killer_kaw said:

After 3 straight days of February riding :D I gave it a well needed bath and some chain lube. 

Mine has to wait till next week for its bath. All washes were closes by the time I got back to Columbus sunday.