What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are pretty damn anal ytical. All this talk about cupping made me curious enough to walk out to the garage & take a look.  No cupping.  I attribute that to not braking much for corners much & accelerating through them.  To me, the difference between squaring off a corner & prolonging lean angle on the street is insignificant due to the fact that you only have a 12 foot wide lane to work with. I always try to keep my sight line to a maximum & my travel thru gravel to a minimum, thus late apexes. 

As Tony mentioned we start the corner a little slower as we snap over. That gives us two huge advantages for the rest of the curve. We can see further, we are on the outside and can look further thru the apex.

And most importantly we can now totally control our exit line with our throttle but still be acellerating. In a right hander....on coming car crowding the center line we don't roll on as hard. Gravel on the right, roll on more and drift out.

16 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I would argue that the narrow lane is all the more reason to carve it as square as possible. There are no negatives from doing so. At least none that come to mind. I hit a lot of shit. I like bein vertical when it happens. Lol

Also, who are you calling analytical? You carry an infrared thermometer in your tank bag with a spreadsheet that lists your optimal tire pressure for the given conditions. I've fucking seen it! :lol: 

No need to argue. We are in agreement. Thanks for blowing my cover, man.

• Upvote 2

Since we're talking cornering technique, why not go balls deep?

I get a leg out and half my ass off the seat for most corners.   I establish body position before the corner because I don't want to upset the bike mid corner by moving around.   The only thing I do to actually initiate the turn is counter steer, so my body is pretty much motionless at the instant.  It's the smoothest way I can glide into a corner.   Counter steering is my margin of error.   If it's a blind decreasing radius turn all I need to do is increase the counter steering input while staying on the throttle...again, my body stays pretty much motionless.

It works.

Edited by Tpoppa

I finally started my winter maintenance.  I've been waiting for the weather to be too bad to ride, but that doesn't seem to be happening this year.  

At 124,000 miles, it'll be a mix of standard stuff - rear suspension linkage removal/clean/lube, valve check/adjustment, brake/clutch fluid change, throttle body sync, spark plugs, air filter, steering stem bearing lube/adjustment, corrosion prevention/repair : and known issue fixes - starter replacement (the original is getting weak), rear brake caliper rebuild, final drive seal replacement, radiator pebble removal and fin straightening (believe it or not, my rad fins are mostly plugged with tiny rocks), coolant hose replacement, voltage regulator to battery cable bypass, left aux LED light repair (pretty sure it isn't the wiring), airbox replacement (original has several stripped plastic threads that allow air past the filter - found a low time one cheap), vacuum line gunk removal (recently discovered FJR issue that may explain some recent issues I'm having), and whatever else I find along the way. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Tonik said:

Remember when I took you aside and said you were one of the smoothest riders I have seen...I am the opposite. I go from straight up to 90 percent lean in a heartbeat. Dunno how I can do it so quick, but I do.  I do know that after a day in the twisties my arms and shoulders are sore.

Wasnt sure if that was the moonshine talking :lol:

I'm learning to be more aggressive with my inputs. But the first 5% or so of any of my inputs are still the same.

12 minutes ago, Wandering Soul said:

As you might well imagine I'm not a track guy.  So...how many of you actually use counter-steering and do you ever correct your line through a curve by tightening it using your back brake?

Just to clarify, what are you asking when you say 'how many of you actually use counter-steering'.  Cuz I am pretty damn certain we all do since it's the only way to steer a bike at speed. :)

Don't say it Tonik...don't say it Tonik....quick someone ban me before I go for the obvious joke here. :lol:

4 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

This, is there another way to steer the bike over 5mph?

A while back there was a giant thread about how you can't steer a bike with just a lean.  I stayed out of it, people were going ape shit.  Instead on the way home from work I got on the turnpike at 147, set the cruise at 80 and drove all the way to 170 where I get off.  I stayed in my lane, went around corners and changed lanes and never once touched my handle bars.

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tonik said:

A while back there was a giant thread about how you can't steer a bike with just a lean.  I stayed out of it, people were going ape shit.  Instead on the way home from work I got on the turnpike at 147, set the cruise at 80 and drove all the way to 170 where I get off.  I stayed in my lane, went around corners and changed lanes and never once touched my handle bars.

It's possible I suppose, if you arent hitting real corners. 

53 minutes ago, Wandering Soul said:

As you might well imagine I'm not a track guy.  So...how many of you actually use counter-steering and do you ever correct your line through a curve by tightening it using your back brake?

I've always felt counter steering comes naturally when you lean because it puts more weight on the low grip and pulls the high grip.

could you steer a bike left that only had steering lock from 9 to 12 oclock

Only in dirt

39 minutes ago, Tonik said:

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has done this. I've made my commute from work to home (~20 miles) without touching the bars except for on ramp loops and stop-turns. You can really learn how much sticking your hand in the wind can move the bike.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Even if you aren't touching the bars counter steering is still occurring.  The bars will naturally counter steer the appropriate direction to initiate the turn.  Try the same thing with the handlebars locked in place (like in the Keith Code video), and you would run right off the road.