What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

I decided to keep mine for a while!

This is a big step for me. Typically, I will find a reason to dislike my bike, wait until something breaks, and then sell it on The Bike Shop for anywhere from $300 to $500 and go into debt to buy a new one.

I'm getting this one set up for a topcase and might look into fairing removal this offseason. I have always liked the look of naked bikes better than faired, and the half-fairing on the FZ1 is purely cosmetic, doesn't do a thing for wind until you're in full tuck. Might go single or triumph-style dual headlights and windscreen instead since it's currently got the mounting points for 3 hard bags.

• Upvote 1

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohlins swapped.

Lesson learned: 1 of 5 shock/linkage bolts has slight interference molded into the undertray to hold it in if it comes loose. Yet you can force out without loosening the subframe but impossible to angle it back in.

Same eye to eye as old shock, lighter spring(according to racetech) same preload (sportrider base settings)seat feels a bunch higher. 

Don't know the shock's history, looks clean, appeared to have thick assembly/rebuild grease on it. Bought it from a failed project bike stash sitting for a few years. linkage bearings/seals looked good added some phil's oil. Old shock's roller grease was thick nearing dry @ 28k miles.. don't appear to have seals...  Did I ride though a sharknado or something?

Plastidipped the spring. How's anyone gonna know I have a new shock if its the same color/95% the same?

Painter's tape is useless around bends

Stuck a bar through the hollow swinger pivot with jackstands for the first time. Didn't check the bushings.

1 hour ago, what said:

offer made on pair of 2001 996s forks that are in good shape. hope they take it. 

Offer accepted! :flag:

Super sexy front end for 750ss here I come. 

Anybody got a milling machine around Columbus that wants to mill out 1mm on my upper triple clamp? 

• Upvote 2

Haven't had a leak down test done yet but I think I've narrowed down the white smoke to moisture buildup in the fuel tank because I'm a dumdum and let the bike sit near empty for 2 weeks. Smoke went away after about 2 minutes and it was more like vapor than the speed racer smoke-screen smoke I see in all the Harley commercials or blown head gasket videos on youtube. 

Found a thread on a Tiger website with some of the 1050 owners experiencing the same problem I am and it was the temp gauge gone wild. Going to test me some ohms tomorrow since it will be dark by the time I get home tonight :|

Edited by what

New-to-me decat-ed headers arrived today.  Got the lower and middle fairings off, upper will be off Sunday.  I think I need to take some part of the radiator bracketry off or at least move some stuff around to get to the headers.  Fun.  It looks like the regulator/rectifier is hooked to the left side fairing.  Need to figure that bit out for the track bodywork.  Yippee!

I did turn the ignition on, didn't fire the bike up though, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary so I don't think I fried anything putting the PowerCommander in!

I've stripped the headlight along with all brackets and such off the bike. Got a new mt03 headlight on the way. Liked the look of my bike after last years tear down but the front and back look like they came from different decades. Time to modern up the front a bit. 

Anybody have any opinions on Iron Pony's service dept?

Some more weird stuff happened with the triumph while messing with it today.

Overheat warning came on maybe 20 seconds after starting the bike, heat gauge was at 20% when it suddenly went to 100%. Cycled power, heat gauge was back to 20%. Bike idled high until the overheat then went back to normal idle.

Let bike run for a couple minutes again, heat gauge at 40% and again suddenly spikes to 100% overheat warning. Cycled power, back to 40% heat.

Let bike run for 10 minutes, no issues. Heat gauge steadily filled to normal running temperature (70%), suddenly jumped to 100% overheat warning. Cycled power, back to 70%, turned bike on and WHOA it's idling at 5,000 rpm, shut the bike off let it cool a bit and put the cover back on. 

As far as I can tell the bike isn't actually overheating. There's no coolant boiling over/coming out of the overflow/etc. 

At this point I'm just going to bring it into a shop and let them sort it out. I have a feeling it might be coolant temperature sensor gone bad after chatting with the head mechanic dude over at Ride1 in Hilliard. Sadly they don't work on Triumphs anymore :|

Edited by what

2 hours ago, what said:

As far as I can tell the bike isn't actually overheating. There's no coolant boiling over/coming out of the overflow/etc. 

I can't answer for IP.  But I am convinced that it isn't overheating.  It simply can't over heat that fast. Physics, or Science or something.  That is good news, no major engine issues. Just the annoyance of chasing down the electrical bug.

Got a trailer? Northern Ohio Duc/Triumph has a good rep (for the most part).  Akron.

3 hours ago, what said:

Some more weird stuff happened with the triumph while messing with it today.

Overheat warning came on maybe 20 seconds after starting the bike, heat gauge was at 20% when it suddenly went to 100%. Cycled power, heat gauge was back to 20%. Bike idled high until the overheat then went back to normal idle.

Let bike run for a couple minutes again, heat gauge at 40% and again suddenly spikes to 100% overheat warning. Cycled power, back to 40% heat.

Let bike run for 10 minutes, no issues. Heat gauge steadily filled to normal running temperature (70%), suddenly jumped to 100% overheat warning. Cycled power, back to 70%, turned bike on and WHOA it's idling at 5,000 rpm, shut the bike off let it cool a bit and put the cover back on. 

33 minutes ago, Tonik said:

I can't answer for IP.  But I am convinced that it isn't overheating.  It simply can't over heat that fast. Physics, or Science or something.  That is good news, no major engine issues. Just the annoyance of chasing down the electrical bug.

I agree with Tonik.  Unlikely that it's actually overheating.  Given the rapidity that your seeing temp swings, I seriously doubt it's your t-stat, either.  Most likely the sensor, but could be just as easily be a loose/corroded connection.  Find the sensor and trace the wiring back thru the loom, pull each junction apart and put some dielectric grease on them.  If that doesn't remedy the problem, the sensor should be an easy and cheap replace.  Not sure what the high idle was all about, but electric gremlins can cause a plethora of problems in modern FI bikes, and unfortunately, Trumpets have always been notorious for them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bubba said:

I agree with Tonik.  Unlikely that it's actually overheating.  Given the rapidity that your seeing temp swings, I seriously doubt it's your t-stat, either.  Most likely the sensor, but could be just as easily be a loose/corroded connection.  Find the sensor and trace the wiring back thru the loom, pull each junction apart and put some dielectric grease on them.  If that doesn't remedy the problem, the sensor should be an easy and cheap replace.  Not sure what the high idle was all about, but electric gremlins can cause a plethora of problems in modern FI bikes, and unfortunately, Trumpets have always been notorious for them.

The high RPM probably came from the ECU doing crazy shit after seeing all the high heat sensor readings. I found a thread where a guy had a faulty heat sensor and it caused the ECU to turn itself off/put itself in a weird mode that had to be cleared using tuning software (tuneECU). His bike was idling low then high then low and was also getting the sudden temp gauge spikes to max temp/overheat as well as the temp gauge not reading any bars at all with the bike running, which I had happen last week.

And yeah, I have a trailer but it and the tow car are an hour drive away. I may take it down to Dayton as I've heard good things about Joe's which is the local Triumph dealer down that way and also where the bike was born.

Edited by what

3 hours ago, vf1000ride said:

Dude, it's a Triumph.  They still have the same issues as the cars did with the Lucas electrics in them.  You need an electric smoke refill kit.  I used all of mine while fixing my Sprint the one time or I would let you have my bottle.  Looks like;

Lucas_zps8e6b60d9.jpg

I tried to get some of these but they're on backorder from the UK warehouse and won't be available in the US for another 10-12 weeks. So pretty much just like all other Triumph parts. 

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

That's one of the threads I was reading. There's another on triumphrat from like 2011 as well. But yeah, this may explain some of the weirdness from last summer too, like the bike just randomly losing power and so on towards the end of the season.