First ride on the new-to-me VFR800

progrmr

It's not registered so I just took it around the block - I live right off of Wilson road so I went around a few streets and down Wilson which is a 45 zone.

Observations:

I am not use to this riding position lol! I haven't had anything like this for about 4 years now - my feet don't remember where to go yet, had trouble shifting gears and finding the rear brake.

The clutch is heavy as fuck! And it doesn't let out until near the end of the full release point of fhe clutch lever. Was hitting high RPM's because I expected the clutch to engage but it had more travel to go yet.

The left bar feels lower than the right - I think it must've been bent in a fall-over incident.

Also interesting was getting use to the lack of motorcycle in my field of view -  after running cruisers for so long I'm use to having a lot of stuff in face like handle bars, speedo, tank, etc. On this bike I see right over everything and I just see the open road. The little cornering I had to do felt very nice - I remembered why I liked the handling of the sport bike - short/tight wheel base and wheel dimensions make for nice cornering.

Title transfer/registration tomorrow - can't wait to put some more hours on it. I'm gonna get a on-board recording rig too - this bike and I are going to see some places :)

Edited by progrmr
  • Upvote 2

You will grow to love that seating position.  I went from a cruiser to a Yamaha FZ1 and I felt very uncomfortable for a while.  It took me a whole riding season to get used to it, seating position, shifting, etc.. All I can suggest is ride, ride, ride!  I rode with a seasoned sport bike rider who helped me with a lot with my riding style which really smoothed things out for me and built up my confidence.  Congrats on the purchase!

• Upvote 1

Yay!  Viffer power!!

Definitely took me a few hundred miles to get used to the riding position.  Mine already had heli bars and I added an AirHawk seat pad for extra comfort on distance.  Power commander really smoothed out the throttle range and VTEC transition.  Make sure you disable the PAIR valve and flapper right away if not already done...  It's crazy easy and a significant improvement for free.  

2 hours ago, 2wheels>4 said:

Yay!  Viffer power!!

Definitely took me a few hundred miles to get used to the riding position.  Mine already had heli bars and I added an AirHawk seat pad for extra comfort on distance.  Power commander really smoothed out the throttle range and VTEC transition.  Make sure you disable the PAIR valve and flapper right away if not already done...  It's crazy easy and a significant improvement for free.  

All of that is done already. He's got it easy :)