New to forum and could use some help.

rallen0223

Hey guys. My name is Reade. I'm 27 and live in Akron. I ride a 2006 Softail and am currently in the process of rebuilding my first bike which is a 1995 VFR750F. I'll post some picture of my progress thus far if anyone is interested. I've only just finished pulling things apart. At the point I'm having a bit of an electrical issue and was hoping someone here could help me find a good motorcycle mechanics with say 50 miles of akron. Thanks a lot and I look forward to adding some good content to the Ohio Riders forum

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, mello dude said:

Lemme guess, charging system is not charging?

My guess too. What is the site that sells the VFRness and all the other electrical goodies every VFR needs?

used to have it bookmarked but can't seem to remember it off the top of my head

1 hour ago, Bad324 said:

My guess too. What is the site that sells the VFRness and all the other electrical goodies every VFR needs?

used to have it bookmarked but can't seem to remember it off the top of my head

Eastern Beaver?

http://www.easternbeaver.com/

Edited by Al Z. Heimer

12 hours ago, rallen0223 said:

Hey guys. My name is Reade. I'm 27 and live in Akron. I ride a 2006 Softail and am currently in the process of rebuilding my first bike which is a 1995 VFR750F. I'll post some picture of my progress thus far if anyone is interested. I've only just finished pulling things apart. At the point I'm having a bit of an electrical issue and was hoping someone here could help me find a good motorcycle mechanics with say 50 miles of akron. Thanks a lot and I look forward to adding some good content to the Ohio Riders forum

Reade if its a VFR the person below is the one man you need to PM for sure before u do anything

12 hours ago, mello dude said:

Lemme guess, charging system is not charging?

• Upvote 1

It's a bit of a story but the short version is I've had it for a couple years and wanted to fighter it (possibly) while it sat for the last couple years at my parents the battery died so I replaced the battery. Before that I started pulling the bike apart and took off the subframe. In doing so I disconnected the starter relay and regulator. Before putting any of that stuff back on (because it's my first time) I tried to connect the battery. I just touched the cables to the terminals and the bike started turning over. Problem is the key was in my pocket, the ignition was in the locked position, and the killswitch was engaged. I'm hoping it's just a gunned up starter switch but I haven't had a minute to pull that off and clean it.

I didn't change any of the wiring. The wiring harness it the same. I didn't removed any wires except the pieces attached to them. How do I check to make sure that's for sure what's going on? (Bear with me as i said never done anything like this before)

Well it's like this: the positive battery terminal goes to the starter solenoid. So if the solenoid isn't there, you're hooking the starter wire to the battery, thinking it's the positive battery wire. That is the simplest explanation. To check this you can follow that wire and see if it goes to the starter, or you can take that wire, hook it to one of the poles on the starter solenoid, then run a cable from the battery to the other pole and hook up the small exciter wire and starter should function normally. 

Welcome to the OR community!  Lots of seasoned riders and wrenchers here as you can see.  Have fun with your rebuild, I tore down my first bike, a 83 Honda Shadow and rebuilt her all the way up, cussed a lot, but learned a lot in the process and was glad I did it.  Sounds like CSC has you covered, but if you need any other help @whaler is on the forum and the both of us work on bikes together.  We are in Medina and fairly close to Akron.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...