Need new bike - sport touring but looking for Katana 750

progrmr

I got rid of my Sportster 1200C earlier in the year, it was just a bit too short for my taller/heavier frame.

Trying to keep to ~$4K-$5K max and not looking for heavily customized bikes.

I'm really looking for a Katana 750. I'm no hardcore canyon carver, I just want a solid bike that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and offers a bit more umph than a cruiser. SV1000 would also be on my radar but again, nothing heavily tweaked or run rough as shit.

I'm considering cruisers too. I had a VTX 1300 which for some reason had very strange shifting points that made riding at highway speeds not feel right. I think it was the boulevard version of the VTX 1300. All I know is I love Honda but didn't like that bike. Pretty much any cruiser in the 1100+ CC range I'd take a look at with the exception of the VTX I mention above :)

No rush - I'm patient. If you see anything that looks like a good fit post it up! Thanks!

Got a good buddy who's WIFE decided he's got too many bikes.  I know he's a got a clean SV1000S in silver with the fairing and aftermarket hard luggage that's on the chopping block.  Very clean, not molested (i.e., mostly stock) and low mileage with heated grips, prolly a +/- 2004/5 vintage, priced well under your price range.  Think he's also got a nice VFR 800 in the pre-VTEC motor and the sweet-sounding gear-drive cams and 2 Brothers exhaust that'll be going up for sale in the near future.  He's located in northern Cincinnati.  If you're interested, PM me your contact info and I'll pass it along.

Edited by Bubba

5 hours ago, progrmr said:

I got rid of my Sportster 1200C earlier in the year, it was just a bit too short for my taller/heavier frame.

Trying to keep to ~$4K-$5K max and not looking for heavily customized bikes.

I'm really looking for a Katana 750. I'm no hardcore canyon carver, I just want a solid bike that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and offers a bit more umph than a cruiser. SV1000 would also be on my radar but again, nothing heavily tweaked or run rough as shit.

I'm considering cruisers too. I had a VTX 1300 which for some reason had very strange shifting points that made riding at highway speeds not feel right. I think it was the boulevard version of the VTX 1300. All I know is I love Honda but didn't like that bike. Pretty much any cruiser in the 1100+ CC range I'd take a look at with the exception of the VTX I mention above :)

No rush - I'm patient. If you see anything that looks like a good fit post it up! Thanks!

Someone is selling an 2009 Yamaha FZ6 with only 500 miles.  The price is a little steep, but not bad for an almost new cycle.  It is head and shoulders better than a Katana and in your range.

5 hours ago, motocat12 said:

I had forgotten to look for FZ1's - definitely a looker and on the short list.

5 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

I know of a 06 vfr 800 that would fit within your price rage....

Where?? I'll definitely check it out.

3 hours ago, Bubba said:

Got a good buddy who's WIFE decided he's got too many bikes.  I know he's a got a clean SV1000S in silver with the fairing and aftermarket hard luggage that's on the chopping block.  Very clean, not molested (i.e., mostly stock) and low mileage with heated grips, prolly a +/- 2004/5 vintage, priced well under your price range.  Think he's also got a nice VFR 800 in the pre-VTEC motor and the sweet-sounding gear-drive cams and 2 Brothers exhaust that'll be going up for sale in the near future.  He's located in northern Cincinnati.  If you're interested, PM me your contact info and I'll pass it along.

I think I saw that on CL the other day because I remember reading about it. Then it was gone..?? I'll PM you my contact info for sure.

54 minutes ago, whaler said:

Someone is selling an 2009 Yamaha FZ6 with only 500 miles.  The price is a little steep, but not bad for an almost new cycle.  It is head and shoulders better than a Katana and in your range.

FZ6...I'm 46 and coming in about 230..probably a bit small for me :) thanks though!

1 hour ago, Isaac's Papa said:

You're actively seeking a katana? On purpose? 

HEY HEY!!....HEY!....HEY

LOL - I had a '96 Katana 750 - it was a GREAT bike, put 1500 miles on it in 1 month then some douchebag stole it. Lost the bike, my $1500 trade in ('89 Virago 750, my first bike) and my $500 down payment. And the insurance didn't even cover the loan. 

I have wanted that feeling again - I'm about 72 hours away from an 06 VFR800 which is like a Katana but awesome :)

8 hours ago, progrmr said:

I have wanted that feeling again - I'm about 72 hours away from an 06 VFR800 which is like a Katana but awesome :)

I'm about to empty my emergency savings account to buy it back tomorrow for a comment like that :nono:

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

It's nothing at all like a Katana and that's a good thing. 

Do you remember what that french asshole said about my VFR when we stayed in Robbinsville that first trip me you and Matt took? I recall it being dumb and hilarious but can't recall exactly what it iwas