Epic 3 day, 1,250 mile WV Route

Tpoppa

On 7/26/2016 at 2:47 PM, Tpoppa said:

If you're looking for a 3 day twisty fix, this route is pretty hard to beat.

Day 1  Uhrichsville, OH to Harrisonburg, VA

Day 2  Harrisonburg, VA to Buckhannon, WV  the mountain passes on 33 and 39 are so good you'll want to turn around and ride them again.

Day 3 Buckhannon, WV to Uhrichsville, OH

Enjoy

On day 2, you have 15 on your route? Did you like it? Do  you remember if the road was in good shape or not?

WV 3 day Trip Sept. 8, 9 and 10. Finally made it!

Day 1

·         47 - just a connector to 16

·         16 south - 16 is fun but it's still a hodge podge of good surface and bad. Took it to RT 4

·         Rt. 4 was curvy but kind of crappy pavement and I don’t remember exactly why but I was glad to be done with it.

·         Rt. 15.  Very curvy. Fun.  Varying pavement but lots of new.  Would do it again.

Stayed in Elkins here:  https://attheforks.com/about/

6 room hotel. OK rooms with a GREAT view. Restaurant was fantastic!!! Best steak we’ve had in a long time. We were quite pleasantly surprised with the restaurant. The inn itself has very little curb appeal but it’s fine inside.

Day 2

·         From Elkins 33 south to about Hinton and then turned back around and did it again. This is a must do road in the area. The part in VA is a blast although the pavement is much nicer in WV.

·         250 south of 219.  The northern part had lots of construction. They are repaving a lot of it but it’s in various stages. One lane for about 4 miles?? I think they will be done with this in a few weeks so it will be great then.  250 south of 28 is fun and it is CRAZY ASS GIGGLE worthy fun south of 220 in VA.  OMG! I changed my route plan for day 3 so we could do this part again.  Did I mention crazy fun? There a few really tight turns with varying camber so be aware!!!

Stayed Staunton, VA here: http://www.stonewalljacksonhotel.com/

Beautiful historic hotel in a really neat city.  A little pricey but it was nice. We ate at the Shenandoah Pizza and Tap House. Good pizza and LOTS of craft beers.  There were at least 5 other cool places to eat within walking distance.

Day 3

·         Hit 250 back up north to 220. It was just too much fun to not do again.

·         Took 220 to 39 north.  220 is not my favorite road but there are a couple of nice sections through the woods.

·         39 in VA is another amazing road. It is just a blast. Nice pavement. Very little traffic. Very little residential or incoming roads.  39 in WV is still fun but more traffic and you start hitting cities and houses in sections.

·         16 from 30 to about RT 4 is in crazy bad shape. I think this part must’ve gotten hit by the flooding as I don’t remember it being this bad. It was never perfect by any stretch but it was a lot worse.

·         RT 4 to 36. Rt 36 just starts off with a bang. There’s about 3 miles or so of really fun turns. It’s still curvy after that but the first part is the best.

We got lost and had to sit through a parade so we had to cut a good portion of our last day off because we ran out of time but overall, the trip was great. WV and VA have some great roads. Did just under 900 miles. We trailer to Marietta so that is our start and end point and not included in the mileage. 

Must do list:

·         33 south near VA best part

·         250 south of 220 is crazy!

·         39 just north of 220 is a blast!

• Upvote 2

Thanks for all the good route and motel info.We're so lucky to have so much good riding so close to home!I've spent quite a bit of time this year in Indiana and also riding cross country through Iowa,Nebraska and eastern Wyoming on my way to and from California.A lot of riders have to go hundreds of miles to get to some good roads...we have them right next door.I 'm glad you guys had a fun weekend hitting some of those great roads.

Those bikes look pretty damn good too!

• 11 months later...
On 9/12/2016 at 4:02 PM, Mary#17 said:

WV 3 day Trip Sept. 8, 9 and 10. Finally made it!

Day 1

·         47 - just a connector to 16

·         16 south - 16 is fun but it's still a hodge podge of good surface and bad. Took it to RT 4

·         Rt. 4 was curvy but kind of crappy pavement and I don’t remember exactly why but I was glad to be done with it.

·         Rt. 15.  Very curvy. Fun.  Varying pavement but lots of new.  Would do it again.

Stayed in Elkins here:  https://attheforks.com/about/

6 room hotel. OK rooms with a GREAT view. Restaurant was fantastic!!! Best steak we’ve had in a long time. We were quite pleasantly surprised with the restaurant. The inn itself has very little curb appeal but it’s fine inside.

Day 2

·         From Elkins 33 south to about Hinton and then turned back around and did it again. This is a must do road in the area. The part in VA is a blast although the pavement is much nicer in WV.

·         250 south of 219.  The northern part had lots of construction. They are repaving a lot of it but it’s in various stages. One lane for about 4 miles?? I think they will be done with this in a few weeks so it will be great then.  250 south of 28 is fun and it is CRAZY ASS GIGGLE worthy fun south of 220 in VA.  OMG! I changed my route plan for day 3 so we could do this part again.  Did I mention crazy fun? There a few really tight turns with varying camber so be aware!!!

Stayed Staunton, VA here: http://www.stonewalljacksonhotel.com/

Beautiful historic hotel in a really neat city.  A little pricey but it was nice. We ate at the Shenandoah Pizza and Tap House. Good pizza and LOTS of craft beers.  There were at least 5 other cool places to eat within walking distance.

Day 3

·         Hit 250 back up north to 220. It was just too much fun to not do again.

·         Took 220 to 39 north.  220 is not my favorite road but there are a couple of nice sections through the woods.

·         39 in VA is another amazing road. It is just a blast. Nice pavement. Very little traffic. Very little residential or incoming roads.  39 in WV is still fun but more traffic and you start hitting cities and houses in sections.

·         16 from 30 to about RT 4 is in crazy bad shape. I think this part must’ve gotten hit by the flooding as I don’t remember it being this bad. It was never perfect by any stretch but it was a lot worse.

·         RT 4 to 36. Rt 36 just starts off with a bang. There’s about 3 miles or so of really fun turns. It’s still curvy after that but the first part is the best.

We got lost and had to sit through a parade so we had to cut a good portion of our last day off because we ran out of time but overall, the trip was great. WV and VA have some great roads. Did just under 900 miles. We trailer to Marietta so that is our start and end point and not included in the mileage. 

Must do list:

·         33 south near VA best part

·         250 south of 220 is crazy!

·         39 just north of 220 is a blast!

Ha! Ha! I'm so happy I post this stuff.  We are trying for another 3 day this weekend or next and I couldn't remember where we stayed and which roads we liked but now I do! :)

• Beer 1