Epic 3 day, 1,250 mile WV Route

Tpoppa

18 minutes ago, Jester_ said:

Killer route.... 

How were the road conditions?

It's been a few years since I've ridden this whole route.  So not sure of road conditions.

I was riding this the last time I did this entire route.

gallery_3518_1178_1369457610_16604.jpg

• Upvote 1

Those are some great roads. Here's a trip report from 2014 with some road conditions and comments related to some of the roads on your map. Thought it might be useful.  I have a 3 day WV trip planned in a couple weeks. I'll post details on road conditions afterward. 

Day one starting from Marietta.

219/55

47 was a good connector route and got us warmed up.

16 is a very twisty road. There were times that I was hoping a straight would be coming so I could rest. ? Road quality is a huge hodge podge. Kind of rough up north, then you'd hit nice pavement, then you'd hit brand new pavement then back to rough. It was really all over the place. The rough parts could be bone jarring but not impassable so I'd still recommend the road, just be cautious in the bad parts.

39 was fun and in decent shape from what I could remember.

218/55 were also in good shape and had some really nice sections.

Day 2 from Elkins

33 south. It was so much fun we turned around and did it again. Southern part of 33 is amazing. Lots of new pavement and if it wasn't new, it was in great shape. 33 is a must!!!!

from 33 to 28 - ok connector road but not as curvy as I thought it would be. It was interesting though as you were riding between the two mountains so I would call it scenic.

28 to 250 south - 250 was a very good road. I definitely want to do the whole section at some point. I was worried about road conditions and found this part to be completely fine so I would think the other sections in this area are probably OK as well.

250 to 220 - 220 was really not that exciting. We were actually pretty mellow on this road and of course, this is where we get tickets. A speeding ticket for both of us and passing on double yellow for me as a bonus. Thank you Virginia! After this joyous detour, I wanted to get out of Virginia as soon as possible so we picked up 39 north. What a nice road!! Freshly paved in most spots and just really twisty. I would have enjoyed it even more if we hadn't just gotten the darn tickets but it was really fun. 39 is another must route.

Took 39 to 92 and then over to Beckley. We almost ran out of gas in this area and GPS tried to take us down a crazy road. There were lots of adv tour type of roads in this area for those that might be interested.

Day 3

From Beckley heading back to Marietta

41 to 19 to 60

Over to 61

41 is a dump. The road quality is beyond poor. They had neon red circles and lines all over the road highlighting pot holes and other deformities. Felt like I was at Nelson Ledges but worse. Until they pave this thing, I would avoid it.

61 near Deepwater is a blast!!!!!! Brand new pavement and just wow! Good times. Keep in mind, unless you are on an adv tour bike, you will need to go to the town to cross the river. We tried heading over to another crossing and the road was crazy bad. I think the town is Montgomery?

36 is a pretty fun road. There are several parts that are freshly paved. It's a really nice north/south route.

14 is a decent connector road. Decent amount of turns and pavement is good for the most part although there are some bad spots.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I remember when Tpoppa rode a Buell...and was fast. 

That was the first new motorcycle I ever bought.   Sold it with almost 40k on the clock.  Needed only gas oil and tires.   A young kid bought it and promptly totaled it.

• Upvote 1

Nice. You just inspired me to look up how long it takes to use I-70 to Moundsville-Hundred section of US250 to get to my favorite spot down that way.... Not much longer at all vs 33 all the way there with sections of 33 bypassed by US50 and I-79...

Now if we trailer the dirt bikes down and street bikes, we'll probably stick to US33 the whole way

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Bryden+Road,+Columbus,+OH/Moundsville,+WV/Hundred,+WV/Grafton,+WV/Cool+Springs+Park,+George+Washington+Highway,+Rowlesburg,+WV/Hendricks,+WV/Harman,+WV/Seneca+Shadows+Campground,+West+Virginia+28,+Seneca+Rocks,+WV/@38.9413894,-79.9207093,10z/data=!4m26!4m25!1m2!1m1!1s0x883888f7ce1c2827:0xcddbdb16d07e7eba!1m2!1m1!1s0x8835e0beb0413939:0x81a89159bd7ba04e!1m2!1m1!1s0x8835f34c8df122c3:0x47ff0857484dcfbc!1m2!1m1!1s0x884a89228f0f070b:0x178335413d3f270d!1m2!1m1!1s0x884abd0a88b22989:0x9ebfb7b66efa3a93!1m2!1m1!1s0x884ac467d3cff22f:0xee284af809398ecf!1m2!1m1!1s0x884ad72563f1dcb9:0x6ee342dd833c3883!1m2!1m1!1s0x884b2ab6bd8186e7:0xc7e85b2d28068c74!3e0

I'm basically free from here on out, wife is always on the road for her job during the riding season, and I finally got my rehab project giant old historic mansion (nightmare the ex left me with 8 years ago) sold. I keep telling my buddies, THREE MONTHS OF RIDING WEATHER TO GO, LETS RIDE WV!

20151009_083614.jpeg

IMG_3459.jpg

20151012_105642.jpg

IMG_20140913_175034_1.jpg

20151009_131450.jpg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Field testing you say....

Jschaf and I explored WV. We stuck to about 70% of that route.  Once we were there, I remembered some other good roads.

It was quite a ride.  We saw a bear, got detoured by a helicopter, got detoured by roads that were destroyed by that huge flood.  We rode through areas that had major devastation from the flood...rivers still had debris in them, construction crews made many piles of debris (furniture, pieces of houses, appliances, personal effects) on the roadside that were as big as houses.  Pretty sad actually.

I think we must have ridden through a million curves.  IIRC we might have broken a couple traffic laws...nah :)

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Jschaf and I explored WV. We stuck to about 70% of that route.  Once we were there, I remembered some other good roads.

It was quite a ride.  We saw a bear, got detoured by a helicopter, got detoured by roads that were destroyed by that huge flood.  We rode through areas that had major devastation from the flood...rivers still had debris in them, construction crews made many piles of debris (furniture, pieces of houses, appliances, personal effects) on the roadside that were as big as houses.  Pretty sad actually.

I think we must have ridden through a million curves.  IIRC we might have broken a couple traffic laws...nah :)

I mean, you two dont speed at all, I would have no idea what y'all are talking about.

• Upvote 2

WV>NC IMHO after that ride, even though we went slow as fuck on our sport tourers the whole way, not. You won't see a single picture so it either didn't happen, or you have an idea of our priorities.

• Upvote 3

Very nice, was 33 in good condition from Elkins ( 250&33) all the way to Harrisonburg va? I might be doing this as a two day trip this month. Tried to do a one day last year and too excited and didn't sleep one sec and dropped the plan 15 mins from start after I couldn't keep my eyes open even with two back to back caffeine bombs  :cry:

6 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

Very nice, was 33 in good condition from Elkins ( 250&33) all the way to Harrisonburg va? I might be doing this as a two day trip this month. Tried to do a one day last year and too excited and didn't sleep one sec and dropped the plan 15 mins from start after I couldn't keep my eyes open even with two back to back caffeine bombs  :cry:

Yes, that stretch is super fun and in good shape.