"Ride on Red" in PA

330racing

Oh, and bottom left of this page you can report them to ODOT.  My city kept blowing me off on the one at the end of my street not working on my bike. I contacted ODOT and within two weeks a city crew was out fixing it.

https://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/Operations/Traffic/Pages/OTEHomePage.aspx

I have always went after a few minutes and clear traffic. I have never been pulled over either.  My plan was to tell the cop the same thing.  I waited for multiple cycles and the light never changed.  I can't believe they would ticket you if you do it safely. :dunno:

2 hours ago, whaler said:

I will find it and link it...could be wrong, but I am sure it was attached to another bill over the last year.

I absolutely remember this being discussed on the forum in the past year or two. I never followed it to see if it went through or whatever. But something was definitely brought up in the State of Ohio legislation in regards to it.

49 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Two cyclists struck a truck that turned left across their right-of-way last September....and the final outcome was the cyclists were traveling too fast (10 mph under the posted limit) and caused the collision.

IP:  This can't be true.  As a vehicle, a bicycle must obey the same road rules as a ca, but traveling 10 MPH under the speed limit isn't an infraction, and certainly could not be deemed "traveling too fast" as a cause of the accident.  Just doesn't make any sense to me...and I ride a lot.  Link?

• Upvote 2

Ouch.  I remember the initial coverage of the accident, but didn't know the outcome of the trial.  Sounds like a case of both an incompetent prosecutor and jury.  I've ridden bicycles on the road for decades and had my share of aggressive drivers take advantage of the vulnerability of a bike rider, and I'm not certain that I've seen any change for the better in terms of attitude on the part of car drivers.  What surprises me the most is if you go to the ADVRider forum, there are at least two threads, including one in the "Perfect Line" with nearly 500 pages and one in "Jo Mama" basement with nearly 200 pages, wherein motorcyclists rant on the right of--or lack thereof--a bicyclist to ride on and share the road.  Can't for the life of me understand how one could ride a motorcycle and not have empathy for a fellow rider on 2 wheels, especially one that is vastly underpowered and out-weighed.  Arrogance, intolerance, ignorance....

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/bicycles-on-the-road.733233/

The one in Jo Mama requires a sign-in.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/dear-bicycle-riders.470119/

My reading of the case suggests that the truck driver was still to blame for the accident - they just said his negligence did not rise to the level of a crime, and instead of an accident resulting form ordinary negligence.  They are not blaming the cyclists for the accident.

Am I reading it wrong?

On July 26, 2016 at 0:06 AM, Isaac's Papa said:

It's a perspective issue. Most people view a bicycle as a child's play thing. Something you outgrow and only use a few times a year on the bike trail. They find it a nuisance and therefore beneath them. So beneath that it's not even worth a few seconds of their day to stop and consider the mutual vulnerability. Plus, unless you cycle, you can't begin to understand the rational behind why we are on the road. They're bigger and more important. Who cares about dead cyclists?

Im not sure I'll look into those threads, because it will just piss me off, but I appreciate the links. 

"Rationale"

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Isaac's Papa said:

The defense attorney shifted blame. The PD charged him with adequate crimes. His negligence resulted in two dead people. The jury dropped the ball. 

Peddlers have to follow the same laws as motorists on public roadways, riiiight?

Possible the spandex Warriors were multiple abreast of each other? Which is a personal pet peave of mine. Not saying this is the case, but I know I've had some near misses on that kind of bullshit. 

10 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

multiple meaning 2 abreast or 3 abreast

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511.55v1

(B) Persons riding bicycles or motorcycles upon a roadway shall ride not more than two abreast in a single lane

Interesting, surprised 2 abreast is permitted. Lawyers know how to twist some things in their favor. 

Edited by 0hi0