I'm thinking about buying a cruiser

Tpoppa

The mean streak is really not setup to be a 2up machine. I have a mustang seat on mine, and it pushes me forward on the controls a bit. My wife doesn't really enjoy riding with me either, even with the upgraded seat. The OG seat is garbage for 2up.
It's certainly fun to ride solo, but I don't think you would like it for your purposes.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided on something with luggage, good passenger accommodations, FI, and I just won't do spoked wheels.  I wanted something capable of touring.

The V Star I bought is really clean and the price was right (I can easily sell it and get my money back).  It's reasonably fun to ride.  I'm trying to see if I can enjoy life in the "slower" lane.     

large.00B0B_e9RJ43Ik4BB_1200x900.jpg.9c2

Edited by Tpoppa
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

I decided on something with luggage, good passenger accommodations, FI, and I just won't do spoked wheels.  I wanted something capable of touring.

The V Star I bought is really clean and the price was right (I can easily sell it and get my money back).  It's reasonably fun to ride.  I'm trying to see if I can enjoy life in the "slower" lane.     

Sharp looking bike, and good choice on avoiding spokes.

• Upvote 1

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 11:35 AM, Tpoppa said:

The wife wanted one of those back when she was in the market but they were fairly new at that time and deals could not be found. We found her 1100 vstar at half the price, she's been real happy with it except on hot days around town the air cooling is brutal. Only problem we have had with it was I had to put a starter clutch in it they are known to be weak in all vstars, I upgraded it to a big roller clutch and so far its been working well. Hers also like to vapor lock on hot days and start hard but im sure the FI fixed that problem.

When looking at cruisers I was disappointed to find how short the valve adjustment intervals are on some of them.

Yamaha V Star 650 is only 4000 miles isn't an R1 26k or something like that :dunno:

Some Suzukis are 7,500 miles

VTX = 8000 miles

At least the Vstar 950 is 16,000 miles...another reason I went with that one.

Edited by Tpoppa

12 minutes ago, Tonik said:

The Kawasaki interval is never.

Not on all of them.  For some it's 15k, some are less.  

I think 1500cc and bigger have hydraulic lifters, so no valve adjustment.  Same on the Suzuki C90s.  I considered those but decided against them due to weight.    

Edited by Tpoppa

When looking at cruisers I was disappointed to find how short the valve adjustment intervals are on some of them.

Yamaha V Star 650 is only 4000 miles isn't an R1 26k or something like that :dunno:

Some Suzukis are 7,500 miles

VTX = 8000 miles

At least the Vstar 950 is 16,000 miles...another reason I went with that one.

Sounds like I need to check the wifes, 10k on the clock and as far as I know they have never been checked.

2013 Triumph Speedmaster (865 cc), Matte Black
44,000 miles, Single Owner
Service performed per owner’s manual by myself or Joe’s Cycle Shop (Records included with manual)
Heated Grips, Tall Sissy Bar with Luggage Rack
Asking $4,600
A friend has this Speedmaster for sale in Moraine, OH. PM me if any interest.

20160605_1807242.jpg

20160605_1808282.jpg

1 hour ago, Tpoppa said:
Not sure, but I think the recommended interval on those is 4k.

It runs good and valves are quiet but maybe they are tight and why we have vapor lock starting problems on hot days. It dosnt get ridden much that's why I've never worried about it.

Edited by 2talltim