Harley being investigated for brake failures

Casper

I don't believe old fluid will cause complete brake failure.  Brakes will definitely be shitty as far as stopping on a dime goes, but not a complete loss of brakes unless there is some other factor involved.

• Upvote 1

I did ride a Harley over this past weekend a little bit. The brakes SUCKED HUGE COCK.

Fun otherwise I suppose, didnt feel the need to rev it excessively, or accelerate hard making a lot of racket. Thats about the time I realized Harleys arent for me. Fun to cruise on though.

1 minute ago, TimTheAzn said:

I did ride a Harley over this past weekend a little bit. The brakes SUCKED HUGE COCK.

Fun otherwise I suppose, didnt feel the need to rev it excessively, or accelerate hard making a lot of racket. Thats about the time I realized Harleys arent for me. Fun to cruise on though.

A lot of them have a single disc front brake which blows on an 750 pound bike.

Just now, Kritz said:

A lot of them have a single disc front brake which blows on an 750 pound bike.

Yup just a single up front and a single out back. It was a sportster I think. 887? It was cool to cruise around lakewood on, not going to lie. First time on real forward controls, felt so weird.

I heard the sportsters down in GA are real fast.

I'll jump on the "I rode a Road King and it was bad" bandwagon too. I felt like I was piloting the hindenburg and had my life flash before my eyes when I hit the brakes and not much of anything happened.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

Has anyone ever changed their brake fluid in their cars? This is just Harley looking for wiggle room.

I do, it's how you keep things operating at peek performance.

Your point is still valid.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Idiot said:

They are fast - if you liked the getup of an 883 you should see a 1200 move!  Same weight and transmission, just a bigger motor.     The main things I didn't like about them was the top weight and the braking.  Well, that and the fact that the best looking of the bunch, the 48 model has a tiny little peanut sized gas tank - good for about 70 miles between fill ups

My buddy has a 1200 something. He wanted to roll race in 1st gear. I gave him the hit, waited 2 more seconds and then reeled him in like I was Usain Bolt and he was Steven Hawking, without his wheelchair.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Yup just a single up front and a single out back. It was a sportster I think. 887? It was cool to cruise around lakewood on, not going to lie. First time on real forward controls, felt so weird.

Tsk tsk! Poser! 

I rode a HD soft tail springer for about 15 miles on one of the nicer parts of WV 16. There was "nothing wrong" with the brakes except I couldn't squeeze the lever hard enough to make the bike slow down for the corners. These were corners that brakes would not be required on most bikes but due to this bikes tendency to grind down the floorboards when you tip them in 25 or 30 degrees I ended up cutting the test ride short & reclaiming my proper bike.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, marlboro man said:

almost every time I get on any cruiser I blow a stop maybe I'm just not used to riding anything bigger than my Banana moped

Interesting, I think it's you.  Just not used to it, not sure how far to push it. It would be interesting next time we see each other to see who can stop faster.  Say 60 to 0.  We can just measure it out on the side of a road.  Even though mine probably weighs 350 pounds more than your I think my ABS would overcome that and stop quicker than you.

But there is no doubt in my mind you can stop much quicker than a big cruiser without ABS.