Educate Me - First Track Day Novice - Mid-OH

DerekClouser

9 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I live in lakewood! :hello:

I've got a spot on my open trailer, just no room for anything else.

11 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

Dayuuuum you had to live close to me as well didn't you .... Must stop must stop ... Stop stop... before the idea starts to churn... Resist .... Stick to streets .... 

N2 @ PIRC August 27th and 28th.... http://www.n2td.org/calendar/

:yuno:  why why why you guys tempting me soooo much,......idea is already churning up inside this crappy mind..... dammit .. now I am hoping I am working that weekend so I can have an excuse not to do this. wont know until later.

1 hour ago, Jester_ said:

Il stop up and grab whoever. I live a little south of Youngstown but wouldnt be a huge deal. Lets set a date then...

August 27th and 28th at PIRC?

jester I would gladly accept a lift from you.. but you gotta let me pay for gas.

1 hour ago, RHill said:

I've got a spot on my open trailer, just no room for anything else.

N2 @ PIRC August 27th and 28th.... http://www.n2td.org/calendar/

how strict is N2 about gear and bike. I only have 2 piece leather but have boots and gaulet gloves and approved helmet, If too much preparation for bike I would skip it. don't want to flush change coolant and pull fuses etc.

2 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

:yuno:  why why why you guys tempting me soooo much,......idea is already churning up inside this crappy mind..... dammit .. now I am hoping I am working that weekend so I can have an excuse not to do this. wont know until later.

jester I would gladly accept a lift from you.. but you gotta let me pay for gas.

how strict is N2 about gear and bike. I only have 2 piece leather but have boots and gaulet gloves and approved helmet, If too much preparation for bike I would skip it. don't want to flush change coolant and pull fuses etc.

Running up to intermediate it says on N2's website that you dont have to drain coolant. For me on my bike it'll be easier to pull my headlight fuse than to just unplug them lol.

29 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

Copy/paste screws up the formatting so here is the manual:

http://www.n2td.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/N2-Riders-Manual-Ver.-2.0.1.pdf

page 16 is their gear requirements.

Coolant info is on page 20.  Advanced it the only group required to change.....which IMHO should be advanced and intermediate.

Pulling the headlight fuse is more out of concern that the light will get hot and melt the tape/glue into the lens....only takes a minute.

2 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

Haha joke is on you Nivin, my truck doesn't use gas. 

• Upvote 1

flush the coolant.  IT's good for your bike, and water wetter cleans up easier.

Required or not, you'll feel like a dick if you piss antifreeze all over the track  and it ruins everyone else's day.  Distilled water is so cheap...  Adding water wetter increases cooling ability and lubricates your water pump.

...or find an air-cooled bike.

• Upvote 2

I'm in for Aug 27th - 28th at Pitt.  I can take an extra person and/or bike.  From east side of Cleveland but can pick someone up that's not too far out of the way.

Sounds like the beginnings of an OR day at PIRC!

well shit that didn't work right

Edited by RHill

• 1 year later...

Figured I'd bump this thread for anyone doing their first track day on the 'unOFFICIAL OR Track Day'  August 21st  at Mid-Ohio.  

I was just reviewing this to make sure I don't forget to bring anything.

I'll be bringing the following:

1.  Prepped Bike

2.  Suit, Gloves, Boots, Helmet

3.  Back Protector

4.  Air Compressor with Tire Gauge

5.  Bag of Ear Plugs

6.  Front/Rear Stands

7.  Cooler with drinks

8.  Few snacks 

9.  Zip Ties/Basic Tools

10.  Chairs (will probably be getting a paddock garage)

11.  Quick-Up tent if I don't get a garage

12.  Bike Key

13.  GoPros/Drone/DSLR/Gimbal

14.  Open Mind

Edit: 15. Gas Can full of Gas

If anyone else has something that I may have missed and should bring, let me know. 

Edited by DerekClouser

Even though Mid-O provides lunch and drinks, i would advise everyone to bring a cooler of water. Every day i've been to this year so far they have ran out of water by about lunch time. They drag out a gatorade tub with water and paper cups after that. I think they are taking their cost cutting measures too far.

And Posting this here because I always find it difficult navigating Mid-Ohio's stupid website. 

Mid-Ohio Track Requirements

Bike Preparation

• All bikes MUST pass technical inspection prior to being permitted on to the track. It is the sole responsibility of the rider to ensure their bike meets these requirements. If a bike fails tech inspection, it may be presented for re-inspection at any time. If a bike is involved in a crash it must be re-inspected prior to being permitted on to the track. No refunds will be made for bikes, which fail to pass tech inspection.
  • All bikes must be prepared to endure high speeds on track. All parts must be fastened securely and adjusted correctly.
  • All fuel, coolant, hydraulic and lubrication systems must be fluid tight (see below for additional information for Advanced and Intermediate bikes).
  • Tires must be in good condition, without signs of excessive wear. Tire valves must have caps. Wheel weights must be taped.
  • Brakes must be in good working order with a minimum of 1.5mm of pad remaining. Discs must not be excessively worn or loose.
  • All bikes must have a functioning, well-marked engine cut-off switch on the handlebar near the right hand grip.
  • Throttles must operate smoothly and be self-closing.
  • Any glass or plastic lenses must be taped completely. Mirrors and turn indicators are permitted in the NOVICE GROUP ONLY. All others must be removed.
  • Center stands are NOT permitted in the ADVANCED and INTERMEDIATE GROUPS and we recommend removing them for the NOVICE GROUP.
  • ADVANCED and INTERMEDIATE GROUP bikes must use a non-ethylene glycol coolant. Water and/or water wetter, or propylene glycol solutions such as Evans, Engine Ice, Liquid Performance, or 7th gear, are permitted.
  • ADVANCED and INTERMEDIATE GROUP bikes must have oil drain plugs, oil filler caps, and oil filters secured. We recommend safety wire, but will accept application of RTV silicone to the fitting.
  • It is recommended that any filler/drain for any fluid system be secured. Fluid leaks on the track shorten everyone’s day.
  • License plates must have bolts taped or be removed.

Rider Gear Requirements

• All riders must be at least 18 years of age and have a valid driver's license.
  • All riders must wear a damage-free full-face helmet with a properly fitted face shield. DOT certification is a minimum requirement; SNELL, ECE, or other enhanced certification is recommended. Modular (flip-up) helmets are permitted in NOVICE GROUP only.
  • All riders must wear full-finger gauntlet style gloves.
  • All riders must wear sturdy over the ankle boots.
  • All riders must wear one or two-piece suits with substantial reinforcement and padding in critical areas (knees, elbows, shoulders, and back at a minimum.)
  • ADVANCED and INTERMEDIATE GROUP riders must wear one or two piece leather suits designed for motorcycle use. Two-piece leathers must provide substantial attachment between jacket and pants.
  • NOVICE GROUP riders must wear one or two piece leather or textile suits. It is recommended that two-piece suits provide attachment between jacket and pants.
  • ADVANCED and INTERMEDIATE GROUP riders MUST wear a back protector designed for motorcycle competition in lieu of, or in addition to, the standard back padding in their suit.