Educate Me - First Track Day Novice - Mid-OH

DerekClouser

Thanks for posting this topic Derek. I too have a desire to do a track day. Not sure if I'll go for it this year or next. Thanks for all of the info the rest of you have posted. 

When are you thinking of going, Derek?  I have a cert to use and keep getting pushed off for work stuff.  August 22/23/24 are the next days coming up that I could do, twilights are only for intermediate/advanced riders.  Free camping those days too!

• Upvote 1

@DerekClouser Dont go with first timer group ( slowest ), you're plenty skilled enough to join the medium paced Novice group so you'll be less bored with the speed of the group.  Of course, it's totally up to you and your comfort level.  If you do feel held up, ask to bump up to a faster novice group.  Went to MidO a couple years ago and was only our 2nd trackday.  We joined a mid paced group, and wasn't too bad in the morning sessions - after lunch all novice groups ( except the slowest group ) were cut loose to run they're own pace each session, only allowed to pass on the straights.  Control riders will be mediating everyone and will pass where they can, but they'll do it safely.  Just be aware you may get passed on the outside or down a straight at times, so just hold your line - they'll go around YOU.  

As far as changing anything on my first trackday?  I did mine at Putnam Park with STT.  Easy, fast, and flowing course that really lets you focus on body position since the race lines are fairly simple to pickup there.  Only regret I had was...

( 1 )forgetting our GoPros, but a pit buddy lent me his so I was still able to capture some of the days fun.  Not a bad idea to run a camera up front to see your linework, and another on the tail facing forward to self-critique your body position throughout each session.

( 2 )We chose the beginner novice group at Putnam, and there were a couple spoilers riding in our group that held up progress most of the morning sessions.  One guy in particular kept blowing turns, running off track, for no apparent reason other than maybe target fixation.  Our instructor was great and accommodating, utlimately pitted the guy so we could keep wicking up the pace.  The morning sessions on track were a bore in the slow group, but once we were allowed to apply what we learned in the open afternoon sessions is when the day got much better.  Wish I'd picked a faster group to begin with but still had a fun, incident free, 1st trackday.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, jacobhawkins said:

August 23/24 are more likely to happen, OMRL race on Sunday the 21st and I'd like a day to recover.  (sorry to hijack a little there, continue on!)  

Talk to me.   Let me know what works for you best.  I'd prefer to go with some people I actually knew.  Would make the experience 20x better

8 hours ago, DerekClouser said:

So I'm planning to do my first track day at Mid-Ohio sometime in the next month or so.  I just recently went and spectated a track day so I kind of have a generalized idea of how it works, but help me understand the full process.  I've read the website trying to understand everything to be prepared as I can be (I think this is why I've not done it in the past).  

As I understand it, I'll pre-pay/register for a novice track day.  Show up in the morning, go through tech inspection.  I've read through the tech requirements so I understand what is required there.   

The website says the helmet doesn't have to be SNELL rated, but I've heard otherwise.  I have a Shoei GT-Air that has the flip down visor so it doesn't pass SNELL, can I use this helmet??  I have a one-piece BILT suit (I know it's not the best, but I didn't want to spend too much money on a suit until I know I'll need it), A* Gauntlet Gloves, Sidici full race boots.  This is acceptable gear correct?

Is there a class before hand to talk about things,?  How do I get assigned a 'rider coach'? As I understand it, after the 20 minute session, we go back into a classroom for 20 minutes with our rider coach and review to learn from our mistakes and improve. Is everyone together and talking generalized information or is it with your coach and more rider specific improvements?? 

Are there any limitations they put on the novice group that they don't put on the intermediate group??

How does lunch go?  I heard it was provided??  Is it enough food or should I plan to bring my own?? 

Lastly, if you could back and re-do your first ever track day, what would you do differently so I can prepare myself to not make those same mistakes??  (I plan to bring cooler with drinks & a pop-up tent.)  

Another random question, a buddy of mine has been interested in getting his son (15) out to do a track day.  I read they require you to be at least 18 years of age?? How strict are they on that rule or do you have to contact someone to get it approved??? 

Just looking for some insight to calm my nervousness of not knowing.  I was hoping to have some guys I know there to kind of learn together, but that doesn't look like it'll happen and I don't want to wait any longer before getting out to the track. 

Also I apologize if these questions seem dumb or silly, I'm just trying to be fully-prepared so I can focus on improving my riding while at the track and not worrying about the technicalities of how the track day is run. 

The riders meeting is where you discuss flags and then break out into your group with instructors.  Ask the specific time/location from your tech inspector or an instructor running around.

The classroom session is basically an informal discussion about the previous session.  There is no formal teaching with textbooks or a classroom.

My only difficulties and were logistical.  You enter in gate 3, sign the waiver at a guard shack on the right.  Then continue straight, and turn right into the paddock area, marked by a blue sign on the chainlink fencing.  You then turn left into the middle paddock area, which has paint lines on the ground.  Depending on volume you can continue straight into the lower paddock/garage area (#10 on map).  You check in at a small information booth (#13 on map), then they will give you a class sticker and tell you where tech inspection is (if they don't, ask).  Take your class sticker to inspection and put it on your bike.  If no one shows you before leaving the novice group meeting, ask how to enter/exit the track from the garage area.

Map: https://www.midohio.com/Assets/Images/Pictures/TS-GenTrackMap-09

Take:

a cooler with water and snacks 

the key to your bike!!

chair

earplugs

tire pressure gauge and air tank if you have it.  Otherwise I'd air up to stock pressure at home and get some advice from coaches/riders once there and air down to recommended pressures.

Everyone is usually really friendly and there to have a good time and help each other out.  I went my first time without knowing a single person and within 15 minutes I had three new friends just from people walking by and saying "hello".  Plan to get there just before tech opens so you have plenty of time to unload.

• Upvote 2

Being nobody specifically mentioned it.  Yes a Shoei GT-Air helmet is good to go.  It's what I run and they had no problems with it for tech a couple weeks ago for novice.  The rest of your gear doesn't sound bad either.

8 hours ago, Hellmutt said:

@DerekClouserafter lunch all novice groups ( except the slowest group ) were cut loose to run they're own pace each session, only allowed to pass on the straights.  Control riders will be mediating everyone and will pass where they can, but they'll do it safely. 

This! Mid-Ohio seriously needs to evaluate. For Christ sake, there was only ten riders in Novice to five control riders. I understand the lead follow for a few sessions, but for the whole day? 

I'm seeing a trend of "bored". This should never be used to describe a track day. Hope some key people are reading this. 

Most of the questions have been covered, but circling back as promised -

Novice is great to get your feet wet and not have to prep your bike as much as if you were riding intermediate/advanced. Novice group is slightly more tolerant of the gear you use too - like modular helments - that wouldn't fly in other groups.  Some people, like 0hi0, may find novice frustrating if you've got any experience with other trackdays and/or lots of experience with "spirited" riding on the street.

I don't bring a chair, or a tent, or anything extra other.  I bring tools, a bottle of powerade and a bottle of water but I'm more of the minimalist vs. most guys, and I hate tearing down at the end of the day and trying to Tetris a canopy and other stuff back in my truck.  Lunch at the track is good.

If I'm not out there this coming Monday, then I'll be targeting the end of August dates too.  I've got a couple more gift certificates I have to use as well.

28 minutes ago, Trackbikez said:

trying to Tetris a canopy and other stuff back in my truck.

That's half the fun!  I love the looks I get as the clown car gets unpacked/packed up.  Next time, I'm bringing the kitchen sink.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, street pilot said:

Take:

a cooler with water and snacks

the key to your bike!!

chair

earplugs

tire pressure gauge and air tank if you have it.  Otherwise I'd air up to stock pressure at home and get some advice from coaches/riders once there and air down to recommended pressures.

Bike stands and various tools are a good idea, just in case.   My wife had to sit out a whole day because her left peg bracket broke off in a morning lowside - no spares to be found anywhere that day, she checked with almost every single rider there......so if you have some spare pegs and clip ons, take them.  Also a cordless drill, 1/4" drillbit, and a fistfull of zipties work well in a pinch to suture plastics back together and get back on track.   Would suck to lose out the rest of a trackday because you didn't have something to get the bike back to track worthy, when you may only miss a session or 2 fixing it.

Pretty sure they'll recommend 30/30 for novice tire pressure, since they'll gain a few pounds once they heat each session.  If you don't have an air comp/tank, surely others who opted for a garage spot would let you use their air chuck - but as long as your tires are 50% tread or better, and hold air fine....I'd keep them at street pressure until tech advises you otherwise.  Always easier to let air out than adding more.

15 hours ago, 0hi0 said:

Is Tom Asian and ride a bad ass Ducatti?

Sorry, no excuses for anyone being a asshole at a track. The organization needs to make money. I'd say there was 1/4 of the instructors being assholes. 

If your in the sport it's because you have done well at other things in life. No one needs belittled. And no one goes to the track to hurt anyone or crash. 

Sorry you got your ass reamed about looking back. Many people do the same thing all the time. Ever see qualifying practice? Hopefully you weren't on the race line when doing such? 

I was counseled about lifting my visor one turn before pitting in on a red flag. Almost lost my biscuits, but calmly walked away. Mid-Ohio needs to do some serious evaluation on Coaches. 

Again my opinion. 

No, Tom rides an S1000RR. I think I know (of) the dude you're talking about though, that sucks. 

I wasn't complaining. Years ago when I was a snowboard instructor I would do the same thing if someone did something stupid, it made them stop and think before doing it again. 

That said, it looks like about everything's been covered that I can think of. Maybe one last thing - start saving for a cheap track bike for next year? :p

• Upvote 1

There's no preparing a wallet for this kind of addiction.   It's the most expensive hobby I've ever had.   Wife and I bought the supermotos as makeshift track toys ( local kartways ) and together were as much as 50 trackdays at MidO......but at $10 a day to ride the cart tracks, we'll make that money back in a couple years.....so, it's totally justified right? :wtf:

There's no preparing a wallet for this kind of addiction.   It's the most expensive hobby I've ever had.   Wife and I bought the supermotos as makeshift track toys ( local kartways ) and together were as much as 50 trackdays at MidO......but at $10 a day to ride the cart tracks, we'll make that money back in a couple years.....so, it's totally justified right? :wtf:

This is the part I don't get. For the same money or less I can take off into mountians on a weekend and get a cheap hotel room and enjoy the scenery and different surroundings. Not going around the same corners over and over again. There is no doubt it's probably fun but I just don't thinks it's as nice as touring and being on the open road. Everyone has different taste and likes I guess.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Not going around the same corners over and over again. 

But it helps you work on certain aspects of your riding because you know there wont be surprises around the next bend. Thats why I took friday to myself down at the gap so I could run the dragon, 18 and the skyway back and forth all day so I could get kinda familiar with the roads and work on some obvious weaknesses that came out during my ride down there.

But it helps you work on certain aspects of your riding because you know there wont be surprises around the next bend. Thats why I took friday to myself down at the gap so I could run the dragon, 18 and the skyway back and forth all day so I could get kinda familiar with the roads and work on some obvious weaknesses that came out during my ride down there.

I consider myself a very good rider maybe not a great rider and I have never spent a single min on a track.

To me riding isn't about my line or how fast I am it's about the adventure and experiences.

Like I said I know it's different strokes for different folks.

• Upvote 4

52 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

This is the part I don't get. For the same money or less I can take off into mountians on a weekend and get a cheap hotel room and enjoy the scenery and different surroundings. Not going around the same corners over and over again. There is no doubt it's probably fun but I just don't thinks it's as nice as touring and being on the open road. Everyone has different taste and likes I guess.

It is all just preference really....I really love pushing myself and cutting time, doing that on the street is just asking for trouble.  Even though it ends up costing A LOT more once you get hooked on the track, it is just something you cannot safely do on the street. 

I like relaxing, cruising and just "the feeling" of riding, but I can get my fill of that in 4 laps following/leading a slower rider.

The open road and seeing/experiencing new environments is something I REALLY miss about street riding....eventually I'll get something touring oriented to get back on the street.

18 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

I consider myself a very good rider maybe not a great rider and I have never spent a single min on a track.

To me riding isn't about my line or how fast I am it's about the adventure and experiences.

Like I said I know it's different strokes for different folks.

With a track bike, there's the buy-in at the beginning picking up the bike, tools and knowledge to keep the bike running/get it set up for you. After that the only money you'll be paying out is for new tires once or twice a season (at least on something like an sv650 or the duc that I have) and the cost of the track day, which, if you get on the sale day is as much as or less than a hotel room for 1 night. If you can do most of the maintenance work on your bike you won't need to pay to keep it running either, at least not much. In comparison, to get set up for the track this year I have spent less than what I've spent to keep my street bike on the road and running. 

As for riding the same corners, the track lets you push yourself, and because of that it exposes your weaknesses really quickly. Knowing every brake point, every dip-in, every apex, lets you concentrate more on yourself rather than what's coming up next. You get into a rhythm and can start with fine tuning technique and so on. Tim, you are a really good rider, you're god damn fast on that connie - keeping a steady speed in the straights/corners I was having trouble keeping up with you when I finally cut loose on the Cherohala. I know I have a long way to go before I'm fast and I feel like track time is the quickest way to improve my own skills. That's my reasoning anyway. Plus it's fun :D

Thanks for everyone's inputs.  Really will give me a lot of things to consider before heading down for my first track day.

I'll be sure to bring my mini compressor for tire pressure, bike stands, zip ties, cooler with beverages, and an Open mind.  

Again, my main reasoning for the track day is to really work on my body positioning and gradually pushing my perceived limits of the bike for me to be safer on the streets. 

Edited by DerekClouser
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

Couldn't have said it better myself

8 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

Again, my main reasoning for the track day is to really work on my body positioning and gradually pushing my perceived limits of the bike for me to be safer on the streets. 

I question this and am really looking for input.  Not being a dik about it.

How does track riding make you a better/safer street rider.  You don't have the traffic, bad roads...etc.  I could see a class dedicated to street principles, and good old fashioned practice/riding with more experienced rideas, but track instruction form cocky instructors??

• Upvote 1

Just now, 330racing said:

I question this and am really looking for input.  Not being a dik about it.

How does track riding make you a better/safer street rider.  You don't have the traffic, bad roads...etc.  I could see a class dedicated to street principles, and good old fashioned practice/riding with more experienced rideas, but track instruction form cocky instructors??

Specifically oriented at knowing the capabilities of the bike and being in better body positioning would make cornering safer on the street.  Learning how to heavy brake, trail braking, etc...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

Specifically oriented at knowing the capabilities of the bike and being in better body positioning would make cornering safer on the street.  Learning how to heavy brake, trail braking, etc...

^^This^^ while being taught in a controlled environment, on a prepped surface, with medical on site.   Basically, where being stupid on a bike has never been safer