4 days 2000 miles on 600rr

durk

So this past Wednesday I left for deals gap and returned on Saturday. I had a buddy with me on an Ultra Classic Harley. We left Wednesday from Jefferson and grabbed 250 in Wheeling, WV ran that to 79 to 19 to 16 south of Beckley based on Tonik's suggestion. 16 was a great call thank you sir. This lead into the Back of Dragon and to our hotel in Marion, VA. Over 500 miles and around 12 hrs. Day 2 was the Snake, BRP, Diamondback, and 4 trips through the tail, back to the hotel in Robbinsville, NC. Around 450 miles and 11hrs. Day 3 I once again took Tonik's route for highlands, blood Mtn, 68, 60, and Cherohala. We had to run it backwards to avoid rain. The hateful one @Tonik again did not disappoint. Thanks for the awesome route. We also ran the tail twice because my buddy wanted me to video him so he could show his grandkids. Saturday morning we left at 7 am and headed for home. We ran the Tail one more time and ran into no issues with traffic not sure what you guys are saying about all these problems with Saturdays on the Dragon. We then just slabbed it home. 626 miles in just over 9.5 hrs. Got sprinkled on just once with some damp roads on the whole trip. Awesome trip overall. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, drc32-0 said:

How is the pavement condition of 250 south of Cameron?The last few years it's been in horrible shape between Cameron and Hundred.What a shame,250 is such a good road when it's in good condition.

A lot of fresh pavement has been laid on 250. It did have a bit of gravel though. My guess is give it a few weeks and the gravel from the berms should hopefully be gone. I agree 250 is awesome and I had rode it in the past when it had 3 inch drops in the middle of the road. Definitely none of that at this point. 

9 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Sounds like a great way to spend 4 days. Glad you're home safe. What was your favorite part about the trip?

It was a great way to spend 4 days. The favorite part is a tough question. I had so much fun through out the whole trip. I really enjoyed the new roads to me. 16 was great and I really enjoyed Tonik's route on day 3. I thought GA-60 was awesome it had some corners that I was really able to lay into and there was very little traffic. So I guess day 3 Tonik's route would be my favorite this time. 

9 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

Very nice, very similar to what we did :) weather makes a big difference too. 16 is by far the best bang for buck trip from Ohio I would say. Gonna do two day down and back up before the season ends 

Doc if you're looking for somebody to go with you let me know when you plan to go and I'll see if I can make it happen. 

13 minutes ago, durk said:

We had to run the route backwards to avoid rain so the skyway was kind of a warmup ride and it was damp so it was good to keep it a bit mello. 

That happens a lot. Cold and damp in the mornings, often fog. Hot and wet in the afternoons.

13 hours ago, durk said:

Doc if you're looking for somebody to go with you let me know when you plan to go and I'll see if I can make it happen. 

Will do for sure, plan to do like sat-sun burn and turn on Wv 16 and then another sat-sun 33 

I sometimes wonder if I'd prefer something different, but for the most part I don't have a problem riding what I have. I put in 2000 miles last year in 5 days and really had no issues then. I did have ACL surgery a year and a half ago so sometimes my knee will bother me and my neck can get sore at times. Nothing seeing a nice set of twisties doesn't cure though, or a half hour lunch break will usually fix it as well. 

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 8:08 AM, durk said:

A lot of fresh pavement has been laid on 250. It did have a bit of gravel though. My guess is give it a few weeks and the gravel from the berms should hopefully be gone. I agree 250 is awesome and I had rode it in the past when it had 3 inch drops in the middle of the road. Definitely none of that at this point. 

That's some good news,thanks.

I know all about those 3 inch drops in the middle of 250,that's why it was on my "do not ride" list for the past two years.Now if ODOT gets around to paving 536 this year you could make a great loop out of 147,250,Proctor Ridge and 536.

47 minutes ago, 0hi0 said:

A true Iron Butt on that machine! North Georgia mountains are my favorite! Did you hit GA-180, close to blood mountain? Hope you don't have flat spots on your tires from slabbing it.  

Yes ran 180. It was great as well. I'm running pilot road 2s so I think it helped to limit flat spots. 

1 hour ago, drc32-0 said:

That's some good news,thanks.

I know all about those 3 inch drops in the middle of 250,that's why it was on my "do not ride" list for the past two years.Now if ODOT gets around to paving 536 this year you could make a great loop out of 147,250,Proctor Ridge and 536.

I'll have to check that out as a loop. 

• 2 weeks later...
On June 27, 2016 at 8:08 AM, durk said:

Thanks for the info on 250!I rode it from Fork Ridge(about 10 miles South of Moundsville) to Hundred yesterday.It's in great shape the whole way,although gravel is stills a concern in a lot of corners.