Dropped my bike while loading. Will insurance cover the damage?

cOoTeR

So I tried to cheap out on my gap trip and borrow my friends hitch mounted motorcycle carrier. While loading it I dropped my bike off of it and it hit the ground. Broke my mirror, and damaged the tank, rear seat, bar end, case cover, and broke or scratched every fairing on the left side of the bike. 

Looking online and short of buying Chinese fairings the repairs are going to be more than my deductible. Im not sure how much it'll affect the cost of my insurance yet so I'll have to look in to that. 

But does anyone know if insurance would cover dropping my bike while loading it? I have full coverage with state farm. I know everyone's insurance is different but I'm checking to see if anyone has had a similar experience and what the insurance company said. 

P_20160602_222034.jpg

You're braver than I would have been.  That's embarrassing.

Where were you standing when it fell?  I am super paranoid about this happening to me every time I walk a bike anywhere, and almost always have it leaning slightly toward me so it doesn't get away.

I don't see a problem with the insurance covering it.  But I believe it will be covered by the comprehensive side of the policy, which may have a different deductible than your collision.

1 hour ago, redkow97 said:

You're braver than I would have been.  That's embarrassing.

Where were you standing when it fell?  I am super paranoid about this happening to me every time I walk a bike anywhere, and almost always have it leaning slightly toward me so it doesn't get away.

I was between the truck and the bike when it fell. The canyon dancer hung down too low for me to be able to use my ratchet straps so I was trying to loop them over the lower triple tree. I got the outside one on and had the bike leaning towards the truck. I started fishing the strap through but it needed two hands to get it through without damaging anything. I kind of bumped the carrier with my leg which was enough to cause it to rock which put the bike past the balance point. I tried to catch it but I was only able to slow the fall. Then the bike was stuck upside down laying on the strap that was holding it to trailer. It was a bitch to get back upright. 

Here's a couple pictures of the worst of the damage. I used a few zip ties and was able to track down a mirror to get me through the trip. 

P_20160602_223405.jpg

P_20160602_223432.jpg

I know a few who have had bikes totaled by falling off trailers. Insurance covered it. I don't know if it's still this way, but it used to be if the frame was damaged at all the bike was totaled. I was told it was because insurance companies don't want the liability of a hidden frame issue. I think it was Putty that had a bike totaled this way due to a scratch on the frame from falling over on one of those rail trailers. 

12 minutes ago, Casper said:

I know a few who have had bikes totaled by falling off trailers. Insurance covered it. I don't know if it's still this way, but it used to be if the frame was damaged at all the bike was totaled. I was told it was because insurance companies don't want the liability of a hidden frame issue. I think it was Putty that had a bike totaled this way due to a scratch on the frame from falling over on one of those rail trailers. 

Yep, a scratched frame needs to replaced per insurance.  The labor to disassemble and reassemble on a new frame is more than the bike is worth.

Edited by Tpoppa

4 hours ago, dustinsn3485 said:

Lesson learned?

Bikes are made to be ridden, not trailered...they bitch and try to jump off the hauling device when given the opportunity.

And what everyone else said about insurance.

1800 miles of slabbing it just to get to the dragon and ride 1200 more there before slabbing it 1800 miles back home while carrying everything I'll need for the trip? No thanks, heck i'd go through a set of tires just on the round trip there and back. Not to mention if something went wrong on the trip it's a long way to carry the bike home. 

I think I'll call the insurance and talk to them. 

Edited by cOoTeR
Typos