Dusting off the cobwebs.

2talltim

I know they aren't high end road bikes like ya'll but the wife wants to start hitting the bike trails and such. So I pulled the old pedal machines out of hibernation. Just a couple old huffy's and my dad offered his Shimano's for me to fix up. So today I started with this, my old huffy black water made in the USA model so you know it's old. And the last time it was out my 17 yr old kid sat in that rear seat.

bf8060deaa12a4eaf6278fdab3a72e80.jpg

12ed39fec1d14a22c3e4cfce7704d11c.jpg

Needed a couple tubes and to free up some shifter cables but it's riadble again.

My wife has one to that's the same model. I got 3 of the 4 bikes rideable just need to clean them up and make the adjustments before the hit the bike paths. The 4th bike needs 2 rubes and break pads so I'll get it going too.

12ece0cabe2e71f35bb7309def7eda5e.jpg

I need a bike carrier, I want a Reese hitch one that will hold 4 bikes and be sturdy. But of course I don't want to spend a lot, anyone have any recommendations?

• Upvote 3

Just read the Huffy story on Wikipedia and it is a sad one. Now owned by the Chinese due to American greed. These very well could be some of the last bikes build in the USA by huffy. We bought them right around that time period.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huffy

• Upvote 1

Yea it's a start to get back out there. These 2 Huffy Back Waters have been hanging in my basment since we built the house back in 2002. When we lived in town we were only 5 blocks from Kokosing Gap trail and rode it all the time. Then we moved and stopped riding and got fatter. I'll post up more pics as I get them cleaned up a ready for the trails.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Scout Craigslist for folks selling off their cycling equipment. You can usually snag really nice carriers on the cheap. If you're hauling 4 low-end, steel frame bikes, make sure you don't skimp too much. That will have to be one stout carrier to accommodate the weight. Be sure to research the models before you buy. Most have specific load ratings online. My hitch carrier was a Saris and it carried three bikes. The maximum weight was just over 100 lbs. Three of your bikes will top that with no problem. 

Also, "Fuck Yeah!!" :) 

Might be able to reinforce something rated for 100 lbs. so that it's robust enough to handle more weight. 

On my carrier, the 'arms' adjust to accommodate various vehicles.  The interlocking 'teeth' on the pivot point is the weak link.  Eliminating the folding functionality by completing the triangle would firm up the whole structure quite a bit.

Or you could probably build one from angle aluminum at home depot...

Could not believe it came home from work and the bike carrier was on my porch. Walmart.com got it to me in 24 hours, I was shocked. Also I want to comment that this carrier is rock solid. Very heavy duty and welll built. And I love how modular it is and how easily it look like it's going to be to load. (Haven't done it yet). You can load 4 bikes or take the rear section off and only use it for 2. The 2 sections slide apart to make it easier to load. If I would only load 3 bikes I would still be able to get the gate open on my Tahoe. This thing is exactly what I needed and it was $80 to my door. We plan on trying it out Sunday.

5078bcbd3f44c3c61ab5f0e02dc90c95.jpg

6cec6612ae1bd94b1bf04fa267da74be.jpg

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

That's it right there in the pic and it's about 3 1/2 ft from the bumper. Kinda far but it's built strong enough to take the torque and I kinda like it that way. Just have to remeber it's back there..lol

• Upvote 1

Well the test run was very successful. Decided not to do the trail up the road since my wife sad it was only like a mile long. So we motored down to Mount Vernon and explored Ariel Foundation Park and the Heart of Ohio Bike Trail. For those that have never been to that park it is beautiful with bike and hiking trails and a few pond to fish from also right beside he Kokosing river. It was the site of the old Pittsburg plate glass factory that burnt down years ago. They have sculptures  and cool things to see and the built stairs around one of the old smoke stacks that is still standing you can climb. Here is a link if you want to check it out.  http://www.arielfoundationpark.org/ So we rode all around the park and a couple miles of the bike trail it was a fun time. The carrier worked flawlessly and i think walmart is going to get a couple more orders for it because others were impressed by it and ask where i got it. Maybe 7 to 8 min to load and 5 min to unload. Didn't get any pics because I left my phone at home but it was a fun time.  

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't gotten out much due to me and the mrs. work scedule but were hitting the Kokosing Gap trail tommorow riding from Mount Vernon to Gambier maybe a little further to Howard if the kids are up to it.
http://www.kokosinggaptrail.org/TRAIL/aatrail.htm

• Upvote 1