Rt. 555 from Chesterhill to Zanesville

Kruse08

I just wanted to share my experience on this section of road.  Rt. 555 (The Triple Nickel) from Chesterhill to Zanesville could be one of the worst roads I have every ridden.  I know that this is not the entire Rt. 555 but it is part of it.  I spent more time worried what was around the blind turn or over that hill since everything is poorly marked.  Rocks/gravel flood the road and make your butt clench more than anything.  If you do plan to ride this road please be careful, take your time, and hold on.  I will never ride this road again as I have found better roads else where.  Just thought you all may want to hear my thoughts.

Here is the section I did:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Chesterhill/39.9107592,-82.0053882/@39.6965512,-82.0997083,10.96z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m10!1m1!1s0x8848162aad094005:0x3d5dee02584069e6!2m2!1d-81.8659707!2d39.4884055!3m4!1m2!1d-82.013768!2d39.6160956!3s0x88481b668a1faf8d:0x71092e6edaf7877d!1m0!3e0

Last time we did a group ride down the triple nickel it was shitty.  Lots of gravel and dirt in most of the corners.  I guess I don't get why there is so much hype. There are much better roads to ride like 83 and 78.

36 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

OH-555 is a terrible road. Poor maintenance, terrible sight lines, littered with driveways... I've often heard folks say it's as good or better than Deals Gap. How anybody can compare it to Deals Gap with a straight face is pretty confusing for me. There are better roads than US-129, but OH-555 certainly is not one of them. 

Not really sure hows that's possible, and I've never been to Deals Gap.

There is no comparison triple nickel to Deals Gap. I still like the southern part of 555, which has good pavement, but the rest needs paved. Even if paved, you are still plagued with driveways, blind hills, and crap all over the road. 

Repeating myself... Rt 555 is an old wagon trail from Zanesville to the Ohio River. Probably one of the first roads in Ohio. It was laid out for slow moving wagons. It was originally first paved with wooden logs. Nothing wrong with that, it's just not meant for high speeds. Yes, I've been on there several times. Even the full stretch to the river. Corner speeds need to be held down for the unknown conditions. Normal standards of roadway design do not apply here.

1 hour ago, Howabusa said:

It is not maintained the best. A very technical and tricky road.

I agree with that.Most of the other complaints can be said about nearly every good road in SEO.I always thought blind corners and hill tops were just part of the attraction of riding in SEO.I'm sitting here running through all of the good roads down here and I can't think of one that doesn't have blind corners.I don't really care about how well they're marked,I quit relying on suggested speeds a long time ago.I can think of roads where relying on those signs can get you in trouble.

As for gravel and debris in the road,again,you can have that every where down here.These are rural roads used by farmers,hunters,oil workers,loggers,off road riders and pot growers,just to name a few...dirt will get tracked on the road.Driveways?I don't know if 555 has anymore than most roads.

As for the road condition of 555 from Zanesville to Chesterhill...I just rode this Sunday.As I said in another post the Muskingum county section was paved last fall.The section that is shared with 669 was paved about three years ago.Portersville to Ringgold is older,but still pretty good.South of Ringgold is the same as it ever was.So the northern part of 555 is about as good as it will ever be.

I like the northern section of 555 from Zanesville to Ringgold,but then again I ride it at least weekly.I know what to expect and what to look out for.From Cannelville road to Ringgold would probably be in my top 10 SEO roads.I like tight tricky roads,high speed sweepers are fun,but I prefer the tricky stuff.To each his own.

I wish more people thought like you guys,I could have 555 from Zanesville to Ringgold all to my self.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

OH-555 is a terrible road. Poor maintenance, terrible sight lines, littered with driveways... I've often heard folks say it's as good or better than Deals Gap. How anybody can compare it to Deals Gap with a straight face is pretty confusing for me. There are better roads than US-129, but OH-555 certainly is not one of them. 

Papa, this article in Rider Magazine may the reason you are pretty confused. The attached article compares 555 with US-129 with a straight face, I have rode both roads and I agree with you, it's hard to compare. There are many other roads I would rather ride in SEO than 555.

Buckeye Back Roads - Rider Mag.pdf

US-129 sucks too, but it's not the roads fault. It's all the asshats that (one) think it's a race track, and (two) the other asshats that won't get over to let anyone go by because their Harley egos won't allow it. The first asshats aren't as bad as the second ones.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 2talltim said:

US-129 sucks too, but it's not the roads fault. It's all the asshats that (one) think it's a race track, and (two) the other asshats that won't get over to let anyone go by because their Harley egos won't allow it. The first asshats aren't as bad as the second ones.

This analogy is truly on point.  There are certain times of day during the week that the Dragon portion of 129 is relatively clear, and the few riders we'd caught were fairly well behaved.  Believe it was a Thursday, early afternoon.  Friday on the other hand, was pretty packed in and asshattery galore.  Last year was our maiden voyage down there, but the general concensus proved itself the first couple days.

This analogy is truly on point.  There are certain times of day during the week that the Dragon portion of 129 is relatively clear, and the few riders we'd caught were fairly well behaved.  Believe it was a Thursday, early afternoon.  Friday on the other hand, was pretty packed in and asshattery galore.  Last year was our maiden voyage down there, but the general concensus proved itself the first couple days.

Sunday mornings are usually pretty nice too.

The thing about 555 is that it is damn hard, technical and up and down. You have to muster all the skill you got and all your focus to ride it well.  That is the attraction.

Edited by mello dude
  • Upvote 3

I love 555. But over the years, it's gotten worse. There was a section a few years ago that had been chip and tarred. I was so pissed. Sounds like they repaved it. Spring time on that road is stupid. Too much gravel and crap from the snow/rain. I prefer to ride it in late summer or early fall. 

4 hours ago, Casper said:

I love 555. But over the years, it's gotten worse. There was a section a few years ago that had been chip and tarred. I was so pissed. Sounds like they repaved it. Spring time on that road is stupid. Too much gravel and crap from the snow/rain. I prefer to ride it in late summer or early fall. 

The part that had been chipsealed is south of Ringgold,it hasn't been paved yet.That area is supposed to be paved this fiscal year.I usually don't ride the Ringgold to Chesterhill section of 555,but I rode it Sunday to see if they had started paving yet.There wasn't any indication that they would be paving soon.

• 1 month later...

The 555 can be a little dirty and it has a rough patch or two (one that's marked rough road) but overall it's a fun ride. It's not a race track it's just a old state route in Southeast Ohio. It's no dragon tail but it's not 7+ hours of boring highway riding away either. I find myself riding short sections of it regularly as I get lost in the backwoods of the southeast quarter of the state. Just remember if you're going to ride it top to bottom top off your tank before hand. Alot of great riding leads to the 555 but there no where to stop once you're on it.

You nailed it bro in my book the only good section of 555 is from route 37 to route 78 it's a short distance but like I said in my book it's the only good one.Like you said and I have ridden it many times that section just plain sucks and is dangerous.Here's the funny part the only safe curves to really lay into are marked with a 35 mph suggested speed  warning and to this day I don't know why seeing those are safe at twice that speed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/18/2016 at 8:28 PM, trentwilson43056 said:

You nailed it bro in my book the only good section of 555 is from route 37 to route 78 it's a short distance but like I said in my book it's the only good one.Like you said and I have ridden it many times that section just plain sucks and is dangerous.Here's the funny part the only safe curves to really lay into are marked with a 35 mph suggested speed  warning and to this day I don't know why seeing those are safe at twice that speed.

We rode it to bypass a crazy severe thunderstorm on the Muskingum River area on last Sunday.  377 to 78 to 555 to 37 and home to Columbus. My first ride on 555 in 5 or so years left me with the first impression of "wow this pavement is total garbage!"  That ended quickly as we got slightly northbound of 78, and then I was left thinking "wow, maybe I need to give this road another chance."

I love tight tight roads, but the section south of 78 toward 377 or 676 was just no fun for me back then 5 years ago, not very flowing, dirty, nothing banked at all, not really a good riding road.  People that call it the Ohio Dragon (same with 536 being called that) have probably  either never been to US129, never ridden the best roads SE Ohio has to offer, or just are full of too much Ohio Pride and haven't ridden enough of the real good stuff.  I'd rather ride the least tight road attraction in the area, 377... smooth flowing higher speed turns, a pleasure.  This is coming from a guy who seeks out the tightest of the tight to throw heavily modified vintage 1970's-early 80's japanese bikes into...

Oh and by the way the pavement on 266 is still TERRIBLE if you are looking for a route to cross east over the Muskie River from 377. A year later, and only one patched section where last year you would have needed a kidney belt to keep your innards in place,

• 3 years later...