Observations after 1600 miles on a Triumph Bonneville - or why I'm buying a Speed Triple

waynesworld

I returned to motorcycling this year after 26 years away. No real reason to be away. I just sold my bike and quit. I flirted with it again for the past 15 years or so, then this year bought a new 2014 Triumph Bonneville. My thoughts thus far follow. 

Good things: 

• I am really glad that I started riding again. I enjoy it more than I remember. 
  • I love the Bonne. It may not be the right bike for me long term (more later), but it's nice. It gets more looks than the other bikes nearly everywhere I go, and that is fun for me. 
  • The Bonne does everything reasonably well. Nothing great, but everything well. 
  • It is an easy ride. It's just easy to ride around anywhere. (Unless you're on the freeway at 75+ with lots of large traffic. More on that later also.) 

Room for improvement: 

• At 75 mph and up, with lots of large traffic on the freeway, it is a bit of work on the Bonne. I can do it (did it today), but there is a better tool for that job. (That is with the Dart Classic windscreen, which helps A LOT. Previously it felt that way at about 60.) 
  • Upgrade the suspension. It isn't that terrible, but it could be a lot nicer. 
  • Upgrade the seat. It really needs that if you ride far often. 

What I want: 

• Speed Triple. Years with round headlights and 1050 engine. 

Why: 

• Because the Speed Triple is the reason that I first seriously started considering getting back into motorcycles. The first time I saw one, it had me, and that has not changed. I think it is the coolest looking motorcycle that I have ever seen, and it is nearly universally lauded as pretty fantastic to ride. 

Why did I write this: 

• I felt like it. 

I've considered getting a Street Triple. Looked at one this week. I still may do that, but I don't know if that will do it for me. I'm pretty sure I need a Speedy. (Probably cross-posting) 

• Upvote 1

Get what you want to ride. I love my street triple and don't feel like I need more than the 675 for riding on public roads, but everybody is different. If you want the front wheel to lift off every time you touch the throttle, the speed triple is probably the bike you want.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, what said:

Get what you want to ride. I love my street triple and don't feel like I need more than the 675 for riding on public roads, but everybody is different. If you want the front wheel to lift off every time you touch the throttle, the speed triple is probably the bike you want.

I'm just guessing, but I doubt that every single Speed Triple owner "wants the front wheel to lift off every time you touch the throttle". But maybe I'm wrong. I've seen them on the street, and they aren't always on the back wheel only. You're seem to be exaggerating, but I have no idea by how much. 

I get that they are more wheelie prone than the Street. My reasons for the Speed over the Street are: Slightly more space for the rider and smoother power delivery. 

That's about it. Those seem to be fairly common themes in the Speed vs. Street threads, but they could be wrong. I need to arrange a couple of test rides. I would be happy to have a Street instead, for less money, if it suits my needs and wants. 

I almost owned a triumph once. It was an 03 sprint 955i. Hunter green. Gorgeous bike. It came down to that or a bandit 1200 and I went for the bandit based on parts cost and ease of engine modifications. Still, a sprint is on my list. 

• Upvote 1

I love the 1050, awesome all arounder and still gets 50ish mpg.  It is a different animal since it's not a powerhouse like liter inlines, and not as torquey as liter twins, but exudes the best of both engine configs.  As for constant powerwheelies on a Speed, I cant say that's the case since my GT is too heavy to power wheelie once out of 1st gear, but the power is docile for being in the liter class, and definitely NOT a race oriented engine.   Now, I'm not a naked bike fan since it lacks wind/weather protection to the rider, but the Speed/Street 3s have quite a following for a reason.  Good bikes to do most anything on.   If I ever bought one, it would be an R spec with the better suspension/brakes.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hellmutt said:

I love the 1050, awesome all arounder and still gets 50ish mpg.  It is a different animal since it's not a powerhouse like liter inlines, and not as torquey as liter twins, but exudes the best of both engine configs.  As for constant powerwheelies on a Speed, I cant say that's the case since my GT is too heavy to power wheelie once out of 1st gear, but the power is docile for being in the liter class, and definitely NOT a race oriented engine.   Now, I'm not a naked bike fan since it lacks wind/weather protection to the rider, but the Speed/Street 3s have quite a following for a reason.  Good bikes to do most anything on.   If I ever bought one, it would be an R spec with the better suspension/brakes.

Thanks for the input. I actually rode through Piqua twice yesterday. 

I've heard nothing but good things about the 1050. Of the three bikes that I'm currently desiring, the 1050 Speedy and the 1050 Tiger are two, with the Street Triple being the third. Everyone at the Triumph rally last week at Salt Fork raved about the 1050 also. There were several Sprints there 955 and 1050, I believe. 

I mean, it isn't a life and death decision. I don't have to keep it forever. But I'd like to get something that I'm happy with for at least a while :) 

Just go with your gut & get yourself a speed triple.  I've ridden them & they are pretty sweet. Don't worry so much about the power wheelies. Any (stock) bikè won't do a wheelie unless you request one. Disclaimer--Wheelies are habit forming & hazardous to your license if done in populated areas.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, waynesworld said:

Thanks for the input. I actually rode through Piqua twice yesterday. 

I've heard nothing but good things about the 1050. Of the three bikes that I'm currently desiring, the 1050 Speedy and the 1050 Tiger are two, with the Street Triple being the third. Everyone at the Triumph rally last week at Salt Fork raved about the 1050 also. There were several Sprints there 955 and 1050, I believe. 

I mean, it isn't a life and death decision. I don't have to keep it forever. But I'd like to get something that I'm happy with for at least a while :) 

The Tiger is a fairly competant adv tourer from what I've heard.  Would definitely open your options should you choose to get dirty in some trails.  I've enjoyed having a couple types of bikes in the garage for times I dont need longer distance comfort, and more flick/trail capability.  My supermoto and my sport tourer seem to have filled all voids in my motorcycling needs, and likely be my mainstay combo for many years to come.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Hellmutt said:

I don't know what happened, but I can't seem to quote properly now. And I can't type anywhere except where I removed the wrong quote. Anyway... 

jschaf - Agreed. 

Hellmutt - Yes. Eventually I want to have a couple of bikes. Your setup sounds good. I'm thinking Speed/Street Triple and Adventure or Sport Tourer at some point. That 1050 Tiger seems wonderful. 

25 minutes ago, waynesworld said:
5 hours ago, Hellmutt said:

I don't know what happened, but I can't seem to quote properly now. And I can't type anywhere except where I removed the wrong quote. 

That happens on mobile if you start a quote and then try and change it. It used to be worse, but an update made it a bit better. If you clear cookies in your browser it will go away.

Just picked up my first speed triple a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier. 09 Blazing Orange w the arrow dual mounts FTW! Put 1500 miles on the last couple weeks and it's an absolute blast to ride. I got rid of my old Cb919 hornet and Cbr600rr to buy it. Worth every penny IMHO. Never ridden a Bonnie before, but if the speedy is what continues to catch ur eye, u won't be disappointed. It cruises easy, handles well for a street bike, and the engine is amazing. It's like having a comfy barstool that flies. Oh and the SSSA is a plus no doubt.

• Upvote 1