Why have craigslisters become so stupid?

max power

People get dumber every day. The following is an email exchange between myself and a craigslist buyer for my truck which is listed for $2500 obo.  It's not the firmest time I've had to educate someone on the vehicle buying process  

Would you do 500 on your Toyota 

Let's see, will I take 80% less than my asking price? Is that really a serious question?

What does it for then 

So let me get this right, you want to negotiate on a vehicle you haven't even seen?  Why do you insist on wasting your time and mine when you may show up and not want it? Here's how the vehicle purchasing process typically works. You read the ad and ask any further questions you may have about the vehicle. Then we arrange a time for you to inspect the vehicle. You bring cash to that meeting and if the vehicle meets your expectations then we negotiate a price, not really expecting more than a 15-20% maximum drop from asking price. If we agree on a price, you handover cash and I handover the signed title and you drive away with the vehicle. Bring a set of license plates with you.

So when would you like to see it? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

Cl people are horrible...wait....

People are horrible. Overall the general public is a drooling, selfish, uneducated  fucknut. 

This is the correct assessment of the situation.

5 minutes ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

I'm glad you see things my way lol, now bring me more shine. 

Sunday, big batch of Apple Pie Whiskey.  I will hook you up man.  Or do you want our most epic Bourbon yet?  It is awesome and still has a few weeks of oak aging to go?

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

Sunday, big batch of Apple Pie Whiskey.  I will hook you up man.  Or do you want our most epic Bourbon yet?  It is awesome and still has a few weeks of oak aging to go?

Epic Bourbon sounds like something I should drink of.

If I ever want to feel better about myself, besides going to Walmart, I just read a few CL ads. People overwhelming suck at writing ads and probably writing in general. To most, this is a valid and complete ad:

For Sale - duel sport new Breaks runs good.

Can't spell, shit grammar, no pertinent information (location, mileage, condition, mods, etc).

There was someone on this or another forum that said someone responded to their CL ad and offered up some sheep in trade for the bike :lol:

Edited by ScubaCinci

I'm a craigslist idiot. I like to gauge if I can get it for a price I want before wasting my time and the sellers to go look at it. However, in most cases it's not THAT stupid and I always qualify contingent on looking at it. Some people understand, some don't but I'd rather waste 2 mins on an email than drive time and gas money

You're bitching about me (except the poor spelling part) . . . or folks just like me.    I do about $20k/yr buying and selling on CL, & treat it like a side business.    Look for good deals on items (usually electric guitars) I know I can clean up, take better pictures and re-sell on CL for a profit.   I've been doing this for over 10 years and have learned to be numb toward the idiots. 

Getting emotional about a Craigslist buy/sell interaction is like going out in the rain and being pissed you got wet.

Using Craigslist to sell anything, you have to expect to be undercut by every respondent.     It's not personal, just the nature of the process.      I never offer the asking price...ever.    That's not to say I don't on occasion, back track and raise my offer, or accept the sellers price.  

Also, the buyer (me) doesn't care about wasting your time.    

As a seller, if you don't like the offer that's been extended, inform the buyer you will not accept their offer, or better, simply don't respond.    

Your main weapon as a seller, is to clearly state in your ad that price is non-flexible, period.   Sure you are limiting your potential market, but at least it might cut down on the # of foolishly low offers.    Your other weapon is to simply not respond.   I usually don't include the inflexible price disclaimer to my ads; rather I prefer to ignore the stupid low ball offers.      As a frequent buyer on CL, I can assure you the frustration you may perceive after receiving a low-ball offer is far less than the frustration the low-ball offer-er will experience while not receiving an answer from you.

Edited by imagineer
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

Overall the general public is a drooling, selfish, uneducated  fucknut. We don't normally recognize this ugly truth because we tend to surround ourselves with people of our own ilk.

I avoid this situation completely by surrounding myself with drooling, selfish, uneducated fucknuts.

This way, I become an instant rocket scientist/movie star/expert on every fucking subject.... ;o)

• Upvote 1

I sold my old Yard Turd (riding mower) using the let it go app. Was wanting $200 which even though the transmission was shit the motor was worth twice that or more. I had people offer me as low as $20, even one guy that said if I didn't sell it he would haul it away for free. I put on th e ad that I could tell them exactly what it needed to be fixed and had 2 different people ask me if I would help them fix it. Fuck! If I wanted to fix it I wouldn't be selling it.

Ended up getting my asking price to a guy that was needing thr motor for his mower and was grateful I was selling it so cheap.

2 hours ago, imagineer said:

You're bitching about me (except the poor spelling part) . . . or folks just like me.    I do about $20k/yr buying and selling on CL, & treat it like a side business.    Look for good deals on items (usually electric guitars) I know I can clean up, take better pictures and re-sell on CL for a profit.   I've been doing this for over 10 years and have learned to be numb toward the idiots. 

Getting emotional about a Craigslist buy/sell interaction is like going out in the rain and being pissed you got wet.

Using Craigslist to sell anything, you have to expect to be undercut by every respondent.     It's not personal, just the nature of the process.      I never offer the asking price...ever.    That's not to say I don't on occasion, back track and raise my offer, or accept the sellers price.  

Also, the buyer (me) doesn't care about wasting your time.    

As a seller, if you don't like the offer that's been extended, inform the buyer you will not accept their offer, or better, simply don't respond.    

Your main weapon as a seller, is to clearly state in your ad that price is non-flexible, period.   Sure you are limiting your potential market, but at least it might cut down on the # of foolishly low offers.    Your other weapon is to simply not respond.   I usually don't include the inflexible price disclaimer to my ads; rather I prefer to ignore the stupid low ball offers.      As a frequent buyer on CL, I can assure you the frustration you may perceive after receiving a low-ball offer is far less than the frustration the low-ball offer-er will experience while not receiving an answer from you.

If you offer me 80% less than my asking price sight unseen I'm going to verbally punch you in the dick every time.

Even if I had stated extremely negotiable, That's just fucking retarded. 

21 minutes ago, max power said:

If you offer me 80% less than my asking price sight unseen I'm going to verbally punch you in the dick every time.

Even if I had stated extremely negotiable, That's just fucking retarded. 

You sound like someone who is easily fucked with...

This how my last CL transaction went down

Selling a plastic fish pond cause i did not want to take to landfill buyer agrees to meet me at a gas station for exchange  I am selling for  25 dollars  buyer drives a new diesel  pickup 20 miles then asks me if i will take 20 for it handing me a 20. I get my phone out and call the other guy that wants it he will be there in 10 minutes tell the first guy sorry its sold here's  your money He now looks confused and his wife wants to know whats up  so now he coughs up the extra five bucks     sorry   I say but the other guy is on his way wife says BUY IT I WANT IT we drove all the way here so for 30 bucks it is in this truck and on it way home!!

Edited by bmwnut

Was just offered $60 for an item I have listed for $100. All I replied was I have a better offer but if that falls through we will be in touch and the dude emails back immediately and says ok I'll give you asking price and I'll PayPal you a deposit

i heart c-list :D