G17 Gen 4 upgrades?

Vulcan_Rider

I finally went and bought a Glock 17 gen 4.  I did a bunch of research and looked at several different guns and also shot many different guns before deciding on this one.  This is my first gun and I dont want to go crazy upgrading if it's not worth it.  I am all for upgrading to improve the gun but not just for looks or any other stupid reason.  My question to those of you who have a lot more knowledge than I do is what do you consider "essential" upgrades for this gun?  Replacing the sights seems to be the most popular upgrade along with an extended mag release and extended slide lock/release.  Just looking for some thoughts on this.

I would say put lots of rounds through it. Find things you don't like about it an start from there. We could meet at select fire N shoot if you want it's up the street from your pizza shop. I don't pay to shoot much anymore since I have a close private property I use most of the time.

• Upvote 1

first thing to upgrade is sights. Ameriglo Hackathorn sights are awesome. I have Ameriglo sights on my G26 and Dawson Precision/Seveny on my G34.  2nd essential upgrade is an extended slide catch (either Glock, Ghost or Vickers tactical)- very easy to install.  Lastly an extended mag release if being used for CCW. I like the Vickers tactical compared to the glock extended mag release.

Those would be the essentials. Then invest in magazines and base plate bumpers (again if CCW or competition). Again, those are the only essentials for CCW. First one is new sights over the glock sights.

Practice shooting.  I personally think most (maybe all) upgrades to firearms are a waste of money.

When buying used firearm, I won't touch anything that has been modified.

Edited by Tpoppa
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tpoppa said:

Practice shooting.  I personally think most (maybe all) upgrades to firearms are a waste of money.

When buying used firearm, I won't touch anything that has been modified.

It's not unlike riding in that respect...

Better to be a great rider on a SV650 than have a GSXR 1000 and not be as talented.

I am still debating between a G19 and something cheaper... I don't shoot that often, and I can't decide whether the superior trigger is really worth $200 to me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, redkow97 said:

I am still debating between a G19 and something cheaper... I don't shoot that often, and I can't decide whether the superior trigger is really worth $200 to me.

Glocks are the Toyota Corollas of firearms.  Reliable and they do everything well.  

IMO, there may be better options, but nothing is better enough that it makes a Glock a poor choice.

1 hour ago, Tpoppa said:

Glocks are the Toyota Corollas of firearms.  Reliable and they do everything well.  

IMO, there may be better options, but nothing is better enough that it makes a Glock a poor choice.

Exactly why I grabbed a 19.  I have no need for it, well that's a stupid statement, but really don't.  I don't carry it, I don't rock it out, just sits in my safe ready to go.  But that is exactly why I got it.  The most replacement parts out there, easy to find, cheap parts, etc. 

It is strictly a SHTF piece.  2 large cap mags, a few holster options, and that's it.  Well threaded barrel in the safe too for a can down the road, but nothing fancy just a good pew.  I still hate that I love it.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

This is the only Glock I currently own.  15 rounds of 10mm out of a 6" barrel is a ton of firepower.

IMG_0812.jpg

I have even less need for a 10mm, other than to say I have a 10mm, and use it to extend my very small c*ck.  It would really help with girth I think.  BALLA!!!!

20 minutes ago, madcat6183 said:

I have even less need for a 10mm, other than to say I have a 10mm, and use it to extend my very small c*ck.  It would really help with girth I think.  BALLA!!!!

I don't need it either, but it sure is fun to shoot.  I like to shoot big bore...so mostly a range gun, maybe it'll get used for hunting.

I went yesterday and put 200 rounds through it.  I went out with the mission to figure which backstrap (if any) is best for me.  I accomplished that and started practicing accuracy which I was fairly happy with.

I'm not going to put on an extended mag release because I dont have issues using the one thats on there plus this is going to be a home defense and range gun.  

I also have not had any issues with the slide lock/release so the jury is still out on that.  

I think I will start looking at night sights to buy for replacing the stock sights.  Seems like a practical idea.  I know different sights are not going to necessarily improve accuracy, only practice will do that, but like i said night sights seem like a practical upgrade.