Best bring your own tires business, Columbus/Tire size advise

SFDemo

Does anyone have a recommendation for a business that changes tires you bring in/ride in with in or near Columbus? 

I'm not really looking forward to changing my own tires on the HD Road King, and I want specific tires that would most likely have to be ordered anyway.  If necessary, I may remove the wheels myself, but it would require either borrowing some tools/equipment (jacks) or buying them. 

I'm planning on going to Metzler ME888's front and rear.  I'm tired of cleaning whitewalls and really disgusted with the low mileage of the Dunlop (2nd one, less than 9k miles, mostly solo riding with no extra weight and weird handling). 

Any size recommendations for sizes?  The standard sizes are MT90B16.  The current front tire is a 130/90x16 Shinko (I actually like it, it has worn well, looks good, doesn't show wear at 14k), so the tire profile I am used to is that size. The bike is a 2003 model, 16" front and rear.   I can order a set online for about $250.

Why pay more if you don't have to? 

Has anyone used the Mobile Motorcycle Tire business advertised on craigslist that comes to you? 

Edited by SFDemo
needed more detail

Taking the wheels off the bike is the hard part. Get yourself a set of spoons & cut up a plastic jug to protect the rims. Static balance is  Ezpz. A large Jorgensen parallel jaw wood clamp will break the bead. 

I have only spooned on 1 set of tires, but my experience was just the opposite. Removing the wheels was the easy part, removing and mounting the tires was the pain for me. Granted I have removed the wheels multiple times. If it eventually becomes easier to mount the tires I will be so happy.

• Upvote 1

Hey, Rob!  Nice to see ya on here.  Give Hoblick a shout for sure, he's a good guy and a pretty short drive to Marysville.  Also, Dad gave the XR to Mom and she putts around the back on it.  I guess he though yours was too nice to wreck so he picked up a newer one to race.  

Taking the wheels off the bike is the hard part. Get yourself a set of spoons & cut up a plastic jug to protect the rims. Static balance is  Ezpz. A large Jorgensen parallel jaw wood clamp will break the bead. 

Try spooning on a GT spec tire with a thicker side wall and tell me that. A tire machine struggles to get them on

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 10:10 PM, 2talltim said:

Try spooning on a GT spec tire with a thicker side wall and tell me that. A tire machine struggles to get them on

For what it's worth, it's not about brute force, it's about finesse.  I've done race slicks before without too much trouble & the sidewalls on these are at least as stiff as your heavyweight bike tires.

• Upvote 1

I've changed plenty of tires (just did 4 of them, three with the Tubliss system) but just don't have the adequate barge lifting and holding capacity needed for the HD.  Glad your mom likes it Jacob.  I'm  hoping to get into the woods next week and ride.