How do you clean your chain?

Casper

I have always used kerosene because it is o-ring safe and brakes down the grime quickly.  Once clean, I will hit it with some compressed air to make sure it is dry and then reapply a chain lubricant.  I have tried just using wd40 to keep the chain clean opposed to chain lube/wax as nothing will stick to it, but if you get caught in the rain or the chain gets wet you will need to reapply vigorously.  I just prefer a good synthetic chain lube that dries clear and is not tacky.

wd40 to clean, but only a few times a year. Mainly before storage, after storage, and after riding in heavy rain.

before storage I wipe the chain down in some used motor oil  

chain wax to lube, just pop it up on the rear stand and spray every 300-500 miles. Never had a chain fail following this routine. 

Edited by zx3vfr

I guess once you get the shaft there's no return. I never really clean my chains. I just wipe them off with a rag & lube. I realize that this cuts their life to about 25K but that's the price I pay. Some swear by the WD40 though.

I get the rear tire off of the ground, start the bike, put it in first gear, little gas let out the clutch and let it start spinning. I grab the chain with my hand and a wet rag and viola!  Clean as a whistle. 

Anyone who who believes this is crazy. I only kid but have seen the aftermath of someone doing this, not pretty! 

Wd 40 is the best for cleaning. 

I usually just hit the chain with a rag with some kerosene right after a ride while the chain is still warm to clean. Then I dry it a bit with a clean rag and finally spray it with some chain lube. I have done just the clean and lube with wd40, but it does not last as long. When on long trips, like when I went to the Dragon last year I did use wd at the end of each day. I just bought a small can and kept it in my tail bag. 

I'm terrible with chain maintenance. I keep a can of chain lube on the bike and a can at the house. Just lube it before most rides and if I do more than about 400 miles I'll lube it during the ride about that time.

I might clean it once a year with kerosene.

I guess I don't actually clean my chain. While the chain is warm, I just spay it with "Honda Chain Lube with Moly." It's just what I picked up in a local shop. From reading multiple sources, I would not use WD40 for cleaning. Maybe kerosene or a canned chain cleaner. 

1 hour ago, hiro said:

I guess I don't actually clean my chain. While the chain is warm, I just spay it with "Honda Chain Lube with Moly." It's just what I picked up in a local shop. From reading multiple sources, I would not use WD40 for cleaning. Maybe kerosene or a canned chain cleaner. 

Lots of misinformation and ignorant opinions out there. WD40 will not harm a chain in any way and cleans as well as kerosene.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hiro said:

I just spay it with "Honda Chain Lube with Moly." 

Consider switching to chain wax next time you need a can.  Put it on while the chain is hot, let it sit overnight. Outstanding lubrication and virtually no fling if you put it on hot and let it sit overnight.

• Upvote 1

I use Royal Purple synthetic chain lubricant.  Goes on clear and dries like clear coat.  You have to wait overnight for it to completely dry.  I love it, no sling and it keeps my chain looking brand new.

2 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

ORLY? I am about out of chain wax. I love the way it works, but I hate how ugly it makes my chain. 

Yes. I am that superficial. I have carbon fiber mud guards, for fuck's sake. 

That is mostly why I switched from chain wax.  It worked great, but it is always sticky and made my chain and sprocket look like shit.

Another option is DuPont Teflon Chain-Saver.  It is a wax based chain lube, but dries in 30 min or less.  It goes on quick like WD40 and dries really fast, but leaves a very light white film on the chain probably due to the molybdenum.  It will not fling and is not sticky.  Great for anything including dirt bikes and ATVs.

• Upvote 1

I've recently picked up AMSoil chain lube and gave it the ole' college try.  It actually works really well.  I did a thorough cleaning of the chain using a chain degreaser (other option I use is kerosene) and let it dry.  Then I used the AMSoil chain lube and it set up really quick.  I only had an hour for it to set and I took off riding.  I had a nice ride and had no sling whatsoever.  I can't speak on if it picks up dirt from the road or not as I haven't had an extended period to check it out but so far I'm really impressed.