BBQ and breweries

jvandivere

So I'm relatively new to both Ohio (been here a little over a year) and just moved to Bellefontaine. I used to go to breweries and BBQ spots when stationed in Virginia (before I got a bike)....Does anyone know of "Good" BBQ in the area? City BBQ is well, a chain but probably the better one I've been to so far.  Also looking for good breweries who have taprooms.

My experience is obviously Northeast Ohio and great breweries are abundant. BBQ is not as good as the south but still fine on its own. All would be worth the ride up to this area.

Breweries:

Great Lakes Brewery: Awesome beer, nice brewpub and great food

Brew Kettle: Great Beer and Great food

Market Garden Brewery: Above Average beer, good food

Nano Brew (Owner by Market Garden): Above average beer, better food than Market Garden

Platform Brewery: Really, really good beer. Food is brought in by local restaurants and rotates as they don't have a kitchen.

FatHeads Brewery: Great beer, amazing food

Buckeye Beer Engine: Good beer, great burgers

Hofbrauhaus: Just an amazing all around experience. Beer is good, food is great

Tremount Tap House: Beer is average, food great

Portside Distillery: Average beer, never had the food

BBQ:

Bubba Q's: Really good all around southern style bbq

Mabel's BBQ: Not even sure this is open yet but it's a Michael Symon place that stole my idea of CLE BBQ so I'm sure it'll be a hit

Famous Dave's: It's a chain obviously but I'd say its above average. I pretty much always get their burnt ends and they have really good sauces.

Hot Sauce Williams: Only in the ghetto but damn if it isn't good stuff

Blazin Bills: Average BBQ for the area. Below average when comparing it to real BBQ.

Old Carolina: Another chain place but its not bad, sauces are weak IMO

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, AndonD454 said:

Barley's Smokehouse on 33/Dublin rd is decent and has house brews. Not a bad ride if you have 45 min each way to spare

I've heard of this one I think. I think it shared a spot with another restaurant? Didn't it close?...I used to live in Dublin off hayden run (LC Paddock).

Oakhill in Sunbury.

The past couple of times that I went to oak hill it hasn't been as good. Just OK. They also forgot an item. Shame on me for not checking my order. Bums me out because I live right down the road.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The past couple of times that I went to oak hill it hasn't been as good. Just OK. They also forgot an item. Shame on me for not checking my order. Bums me out because I live right down the road.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I find they fuck up a lot when "the fat man" isn't there. When he's there is runs like a Swiss watch.

Jim Dandy's BBQ (http://www.jimdandybbq.com) on the north side of Cincy has been a regular lunch-stop for me when making day trips to that part of Ohio.  If BBQ ribs are your thing, visiting one of the four Montgomery Inn (http://www.montgomeryinn.com) restaurants should be on the to-do list. 

On 5/11/2016 at 4:28 PM, 2talltim said:

I find they fuck up a lot when "the fat man" isn't there. When he's there is runs like a Swiss watch.

every place needs a "fat man" to keep stuff on track.

Thanks guys- I guess I should have started with I was spoiled in Virginia and Florida with good BBQ whenever I wanted. Alaska not so much, and missouri was hit and miss locally (Fort Wood), but some places like Sugarfire in St Charles where my in-laws are at is the best place I've ever had. I'm a pulled pork man, brisket close 2nd. Ribs are her thing, and I partake whenever offered. Can't beat good BBQ.

My daughters also love BBQ, and it's our daddy daughter thing to go get some. Thanks for the ideas, I'll be sure to check some out. Anyone been to 2G's BBQ in Bellefontaine? It's right up the road from me but haven't heard anything good or bad about it.

• 2 weeks later...

You've gotta ride to Athens if for nothing else then the roads, but there is a decent local BarBQ, Kiser's BarBQ, as well as three award winning breweries, Jackie O's Brewery and Public House, which has great food, Little Fish Brewery, that always has a food truck there when open, and Devil's Kettle Brewery.  Also, Lake Hope State Park Dinning Lodge and Hocking Hills State Park Lodge have excellent in-house smoked meats and BarBQ run by the same excellent chef and Beemer rider.

• Upvote 2