Road recommendations near Asheville / Maggie Valley NC?

Chuck78

Looks like we'll be heading down through Daniel Boone National Forest to camp 2 Thursdays from now after work, explore a bit Fri AM in the Red River Gorge area, then head toward Asheville NC and end up at Maggie Valley Sunday-ish (wife has to be there for work Tuesday).

The area is chocked full of the kind of incredible scenery and twisty roads that I love, almost too many to choose! I was hoping some of you could help me narrow down the really critical ones that would be the most to my likings based on your experiencences. 

Incredible mountain/cliff/waterfall scenery is tops for me, as well as lots of tight curves with some excellent elevation changes thrown in there. Nicely banked curves and great pavement are a plus, but also the less engineered twisty backroads have a different but equal allure for me. A small amount of straight-ish sweeper roads or 35mph roads can be thrown in as well if they lead to incredible views or link to other amazing twisty bits (the BRP near Maggie is the best section according to the tourism vid)

Fire away... Thanks everybody. Early 38th bday treat for me since the wife will be working at the Wheels Through Time Museum Tues-Mon the weekend of my bday following my visit.

Decent commercialized tourist-drawing video:

Edited by Chuck78
Typos

I know the dragon is near there, which I may crack and ride, but I'm really trying to find the "better" roads nearby and avoid it's congestion, commercialization, and low speed limit+LEO presence. Not sure how far away 421 "The Snake" is, but a vid I watched of 2 guys riding that made it seem to be quite the "must-ride."

I'm getting ready to eat dinner right now when I have more time I'll give you and extensive list of roads that are a must ride. I'll be down that weekend too the 13th-15th we have a cabin reserved just outside Robinsville off the Sky way.

Like I said I'll give you a list of roads that would take you weeks to ride. Give me a hour or so.

The Rattler,

OK starting with the area you will be going through I highly recommend the Rattler or NC209 just north of Maggie Valley. Not just that road but there are few other roads in the earea that can make for some very nice loops. NC209, NC208, NC212, NC63. Roads are very smooth and maintiained in this area early last year the repaved a lot of 209 and put new gravel om the berms that cars can pull onto the road but im sure a lot of that is minimal by now. Dont forget to stop at the Fergusons Supply Gas Station for your stickers and a picture of your bike in front of the Rattler sign just up the road. http://www.209therattler.com/index.html

BRP, 

Don't think the BRP needs and explanation but the parts from Maggie valley to Asheville are some of the most beautiful.

Just off of BRP, 

Since the BRP is essentially on a ridge there are many many roads that go to it and they twist and turn up the sides of these mountains. Some of those are 215 or Lake Logan Rd. that I know was repaved last year at least the north side was. Next is US276 kind of a narrow road but real grippy pavement, there is a nice river and Looking Glass falls on this section of road. This road stays nice all the way south into SC through Cedar Head State park. From there i would head west towards US178 ive been on it but t been a while it used to be a nice route. Just west of there is Whitewater Falls always cool to check out. http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/nfsnc/specialplaces/?cid=stelprdb5188436

Now on to the meat and potato's of the "Deals Gap" area,

From the SC state line all the way up to US129 you can never go wrong with NC28 or "The Moonshiner" little bit of it all on this road and its always clean and smooth. Stopping points on the way are Bridal Veil Falls(get a pic of your bike under it), and for food the "Cafe Rel" in Franklin is a true experience i highly recommend the Blue Crab Bisque, and stop at the Fontana Dam for a history lesson and photo ops. Parts of 28 known as "The Hell Bender" are some of my favorite.  http://tailofthedragonmaps.com/moonshiner28-map/

The Tail of the Dragon is Okay, do it once get your sticker and move on with your life. 

Now one of my top five favorites is the Cherohala Sky way, it runs from Robinsviile NC all the way over to Telico Plains TN. You wont find another piece of road with so many beautiful mountain view and perfect pavement and one long sweeping corner after another. It's a must do. http://tailofthedragonmaps.com/cherohala-skyway-map/

Once in Telico grab some BBQ at Karambonz https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g55374-d3188343-Reviews-Krambonz-Tellico_Plains_Tennessee.html and think of give the Ocoee loop a go  http://tailofthedragonmaps.com/ocoee-loop/ it goes past some sweet white water rafting and part of it is where the Olympics were. 

more to come in another post.........................

Edited by 2talltim

One of my most favorite areas is the Six Gap of Georgia. This area consist of US129 (blood Mountain), Wolf Pen Gap, Suches, 348 (Hoppen Gap) another one of my top 5 and many other roads in this area too. http://tailofthedragonmaps.com/sixgap/

That should give you a good head start on what to ride and where to go but if you need more ideas ust sheck out the maps on this page, I havent even hit half of them yet.

http://tailofthedragonmaps.com/

Any questions of the area just ask, i'm getting fairly fluent on the lay out. 

• Upvote 1

Awesome start, thanks a ton. I'm sure it's an area where you simply can't go wrong. Miles and miles of smiles! 

Now... any tips on incredible backcountry/national forest camp spots???!!!

37 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Damn how did I forget that, yes must do..... http://www.wheelsthroughtime.com/

My wife scaled back to part time working for the bicycle shop and tours/works with our buds Charlie Ransom & crew now, they're performing the wall of death thrillshow at the museum Thurs-Sun following our vacation down there. She out-rode my iron butt status by doing 1300 miles Columbus to Louisville to Little Rock to set up for their show @ Austin TX handbuilt motorcycle show in 48 hours... left here 9pm after an unexpected extra garage day spent prepping her well broken in 1977 Suzuki GS550B for the haul...

12960203_1692064407734580_1894618623_n.j

553c602f33022.image.jpg?resize=760%2C507

Edited by Chuck78

Tim, I gave you multiple chances to remember Cafe Rel and tell the guy.  But nooo, you went full on retard on the poor dude and forgot.

Cuck, head to Franklin one night.  Cafe Re'l..it is in the same parking lot as a giant gas station.  Get there early and be prepared to wait.  Cash only...the place is epic. 5 Star food but biker gear is fine.

You MUST get a BOWL (not a cup) of the Blue Crab Bisque.

48 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

From the SC state line all the way up to US129 you can never go wrong with NC28 or "The Moonshiner" little bit of it all on this road and its always clean and smooth. Stopping points on the way are Bridal Veil Falls(get a pic of your bike under it), and for food the "Cafe Rel" in Franklin is a true experience i highly recommend the Blue Crab Bisque, and stop at the Fontana Dam for a history lesson and photo ops. Parts of 28 known as "The Hell Bender" are some of my favorite.  http://tailofthedragonmaps.com/moonshiner28-map/

5 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Tim, I gave you multiple chances to remember Cafe Rel and tell the guy.  But nooo, you went full on retard on the poor dude and forgot.

Cuck, head to Franklin one night.  Cafe Re'l..it is in the same parking lot as a giant gas station.  Get there early and be prepared to wait.  Cash only...the place is epic. 5 Star food but biker gear is fine.

You MUST get a BOWL (not a cup) of the Blue Crab Bisque.

I did not forget :asshat:, but the added details you offered will be a plus for him. 

Edited by 2talltim

48 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Stopping points on the way are Bridal Veil Falls(get a pic of your bike under it), and for food the "Cafe Rel" in Franklin is a true experience i highly recommend the Blue Crab Bisque, and stop at the Fontana Dam for a history lesson and photo ops.

He got it there, speedreader!  Can't complain here, already gave me HEAPS of advice before mentioning your favorite Cafe to race to...

Edited by Chuck78

7 minutes ago, Chuck78 said:

Awesome start, thanks a ton. I'm sure it's an area where you simply can't go wrong. Miles and miles of smiles! 

Now... any tips on incredible backcountry/national forest camp spots???!!!

My wife scaled back to part time working for the bicycle shop and tours/works with our buds Charlie Ransom & crew now, they're performing the wall of death thrillshow at the museum Thurs-Sun following our vacation down there. She out-rode my iron butt status by doing 1300 miles Columbus to Louisville to Little Rock to Austin TX handbuilt motorcycle show in 48 hours... left here 9pm after an unexpected extra garahe day spent prepping her well broken in 1977 Suzuki GS550B for the haul...

553c602f33022.image.jpg?resize=760%2C507

Thas very cool.

I can't help you with camping, I prefer a warm bed, hot shower and room to relax after many miles in the saddle. 

12 minutes ago, Chuck78 said:

He got it there, speedreader!  Can't complain here, already gave me HEAPS of advice before mentioning your favorite Cafe to race to...

Did he tell you about the awesome bbq in Tellico Plains on the eastern end of the Cherohala?

Any backcountry camping suggestions and additional backroads adventures are all very welcome.

Also, my kind of destinations such as waterfalls/cliffs/caves to hike to, etc... off the beaten path is no problem, in fact preferred!

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

Karambonz???  1st post! Tonik is the fine dining police for road trippers! Thanks for making sure I didn't miss out on some good eats after days of long rides!

Any backcountry camping suggestions and additional backroads adventures are all very welcome.

Also, my kind of destinations such as waterfalls/cliffs/caves to hike to, etc... off the beaten path is no problem, in fact preferred!

There is Bald River Falls on the Telico side of the Skyway. Few miles back right off the park road you can get a pic of your bike in front of it.

115b459db67c40420529534edf3f75cb.jpg

11 minutes ago, Chuck78 said:

Karambonz???  1st post! Tonik is the fine dining police for road trippers! Thanks for making sure I didn't miss out on some good eats after days of long rides!

Ok, I have another and he doesn't know about it.

Maggey, same side of the street as the museum a couple of blocks east. White building, looks like a converted house.

Amazing broiled fresh brown trout.

Ok, I have another and he doesn't know about it.

Maggey, same side of the street as the museum a couple of blocks east. White building, looks like a converted house.

Amazing broiled fresh brown trout.

Nope don't know anything about that one, btw it's yellow. [emoji57]

6b4e7e7013faf1a801984fe850548e5f.jpg

That's the one I have frequent several times no complaints about the trout. Also he should know that's the weekend of the Thunder in the Smokies Bike Rally in Maggie. I'd avoid it like the plague.

2 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Also he should know that's the weekend of the Thunder in the Smokies Bike Rally in Maggie. I'd avoid it like the plague.

Ahhhhwwwww f%=!#&*! $#!+ dangit!!! Maybe we'll spend a bit more time in Red River Gorge with a group of fellow vintage bike geeks then, hang around Ashville a bit longer, and then make it to Maggie Valley Sunday when I hope most of the Harley owners trailer their trailer queens back and get back to their day jobs...assuming most of them are middle aged and not retired slo-pokers!!!!

May 13-15th??? 

Dangit. Good info to know. Will stay away as best as we can.