Concealed Carry

Chrome

If you are willing to travel a bit north, the guy who did my class was phenomenal.  Was very personable and easy to talk to.  His name is Han Sim.  Was about $60.00 which included the class, range time (included qualification), just had to bring your own ammo.  He didn't allow reloaded ammo for the class.  

Edit: At the end we had some extra range time so he asked if we wanted to learn some IDPA drill stuff to practice.  Definitely learned some weaknesses doing the drills. 

Edited by DerekClouser
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Chrome said:

Who is the best for the class? This is something that I have put off long enough and need to get. Columbus area would be preferred. 

I took the class in Delaware.  The instructor was ex military and retired state trooper.  The last name was Harter. 

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/instructor-listings

10 minutes ago, Bad324 said:

him and Jagr know their shit. Valkyrie Defense I think it's called. You won't make a better choice

This.  Plus they have level 2+ classes or advanced, whatever you want to call it.  Took their CAC 1 class and did a great writeup on it a few years ago.  HAVE to get back to training this year.

• Upvote 1

If you wish to get your carry permit, do it ASAP. Ohio has adopted the new NRA blended course and the state's AG has agreed to it as the new course standard.

My understanding is that you will have to register online with the NRA and pay $60 to take an on line course, if you pass that you will get a certificate to then go to a licensed firearms instructor to take the hands-on firearms part of the class. This means more of a wait to get the course completed and you will have to pay the firearms instructor on top of the NRA and then pay the gov. agency to get the permit.

The general attitude in this area is that the firearms instructors didn't teach you the book work so they aren't going to be teaching the hands on. If I have been told wrong or misunderstood what I was told then I stand to be corrected but I talked to three current instructors and they said they are done. One even told me that the current NRA Instructors Certificate he holds will no longer be good and he will have to take a new course and pay $125 to get the new license to just teach the hands on part.

https://www.nrablog.com/articles/2015/12/the-truth-about-nra-blended-learning/

https://onlinetraining.nra.org/online-courses/nra-basics-of-pistol-shooting-course/

6 hours ago, bandit12 said:

If you wish to get your carry permit, do it ASAP. Ohio has adopted the new NRA blended course and the state's AG has agreed to it as the new course standard.

My understanding is that you will have to register online with the NRA and pay $60 to take an on line course, if you pass that you will get a certificate to then go to a licensed firearms instructor to take the hands-on firearms part of the class. This means more of a wait to get the course completed and you will have to pay the firearms instructor on top of the NRA and then pay the gov. agency to get the permit.

The general attitude in this area is that the firearms instructors didn't teach you the book work so they aren't going to be teaching the hands on. If I have been told wrong or misunderstood what I was told then I stand to be corrected but I talked to three current instructors and they said they are done. One even told me that the current NRA Instructors Certificate he holds will no longer be good and he will have to take a new course and pay $125 to get the new license to just teach the hands on part.

https://www.nrablog.com/articles/2015/12/the-truth-about-nra-blended-learning/

https://onlinetraining.nra.org/online-courses/nra-basics-of-pistol-shooting-course/

This is correct that they have approved State Wide to move to the online type training, but each Sheriff also can accept or deny allowing that training (if I remember correctly).  However, it is not mandated that you have to take it in that fashion.  Also, you do not have to teach an NRA course specifically, but it is a good guideline for training.  Most instructors I know and met in my class are not going to teach this course (nor will I), as many feel that hands on training is more important especially with new shooters.  A common misconception is that the NRA course also teaches the OH CCW laws and regulations, which is not the case.  The NRA only offers their Basic Pistol Course (which has NO CCW information at all) and then the instructor has to follow and create the CCW material as prescribed by the AGs office.   

If you omit or add anything to the NRA course, do not follow everything exactly as prescribed, or do not give the evaluation exactly as prescribed, you cannot certify it as and NRA approved course.  

TL:DR - Yes this is a thing, but it is not the end all be all of accepted courses.  Most classes are not NRA approved b/c the NRA class misses a lot of valuable material/mindset/training but is a great basis for every instructor.