A/V experts: need advice

max power

20 minutes ago, Cdubyah said:

This is by far one of the better things you can purchase if you have alot of electronics with a remote control. I believe the 650 will work with up to 5 devices. 

Initial setup will take you roughly 30 minutes.

I think its even up to 8 devices. I just got one for my basement devices and set it up in like 20 mins while playing Halo. It's great because I programmed it for my Samsung TV, Onkyo reciever, Xbox which is one corner and in the other corner have my Vizio tv and roku all on one remote. It's glorious

Setup is definitely cake. Do it all on the computer and all you need are the model numbers of your devices

+10000 on the Harmony remotes.  They're well worth the money and they constantly update the base code set for everything that comes out.  As Brian said, it's simple to setup with the software and PC/laptop.

4 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Cost and ease of installation.  A full real surround system will sound better, but cost more and require more effort to setup correctly.

this.

The caveat being that I've yet to hear an entry level surround system that you can tell any difference from my soundbar with the surround speakers. After working in consumer electronics for the last year I decided to give the soundbar option a go and very glad I did it.

If money was no option and I could do built in's then I would go surround system all the way but for every day TV watching and occasional weekend movies the soundbar gets it done quite well if you buy the right one

• 4 weeks later...

I have the VIZIO SB4051-C0 40-Inch 5.1 Sound Bar System with Wireless Rear's.

Note that the rears are "wireless" from the soundbar. They however are NOT wireless from the sub. My soundbar is obviously set on my tv stand and my sub is in the center of the wall behind my couches and the speakers have the wire ran along the base of the wall to either corner behind the couches

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bad324 said:

I have the VIZIO SB4051-C0 40-Inch 5.1 Sound Bar System with Wireless Rear's.

Note that the rears are "wireless" from the soundbar. They however are NOT wireless from the sub. My soundbar is obviously set on my tv stand and my sub is in the center of the wall behind my couches and the speakers have the wire ran along the base of the wall to either corner behind the couches

Refurbished set of this on Amazon (Woot) for $209.99 - one day only.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E64MXQY/ref=br_prlt_slcty_pdt-2?ie=UTF8&smid=A1KWJVS57NX03I&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-1&pf_rd_r=0SKAMFWFVBYQM5NNR2VR&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=3e2aa0f4-9c96-45cd-b2ef-736f08eea16a&pf_rd_i=13895222011