160 Miles of Mid Eastern Ohio

trentwilson43056

Ok so I started out leaving Newark on state route 13 south headed for Athens when I get to New Lex and think it's time for something different and pick up state route 345 which was a great road but thinking it went east it took me north to US 22,blaa so's I jump on 22 and thought maybe a laid back ride over to Cadiz,I don't know maybe 60,70 miles.Well after passing through Zanesville  out the other side of town I decide I've had enough of this so I know there's state route 83 in New Concord.I catch it north and ahhhhh,redemption.It's a rockin combination awsome scenery even before the leaves come out and a few stretches of some pretty good twisties.26 miles later I roll into Coshocton and catch a Subway sub at that gas station where on the weekend you run across tons of bikes.After eating I figured Millersburg sounded like a pretty good destination and jump back on 83 north for another 25 miles it's a great ride of more of the same.After grabbing a water and looking at the map  out on 39 west in Millersburg I decided I was gonna find my way as we used to say in the trucking business"cross country" over to state route 60.So I map out township rd 301 to county road 400 that turned out to be great paved 1 and !/2 lane roads lined with cattle farms about 6 miles over to state route 60 south only to find out it was closed at route 62 with a detour east.That just would not do so I headed west over to state route 206 south and take it down to 715 east and hang out at Mohock Dam for a while.After leaving Mohock east on 715 and pick up 36 fot a short jog over to state route 79 south which goes back to Newark.Well I pull up to the state route 541 intersection and anyone who's ever ridden that road over to Martinsburg knows it's a siren call.It is without a doubt one of the best roads for twisties in Ohio so I take it over to Martinsburg catch 586 south and back on 79  to Newark.What a ride.That M109R rocks.It's a grandpa's sport bike.Oooo rah  

• Upvote 1

I am glad you were able to get out, great route.  Sounds like a typical ride for us, we usually put down about 500mi.  83 and 78 are some fantastic riding roads.  800 south to Fly is another awesome road.  We will probably be traversing all of the above this Sat.  I hope all the OR peeps can find some time to get out this weekend, its going to be peeeerfect riding weather!

Edited by Wolfman1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

How were the road/surface conditions on 715???  It's been a mixed bag the past several years.  I need to make it up 206 and areas north of Warsaw that I have yet to visit.

Work has me out that way a few times a month, so just about everything south of 36 all the way to Newcomerstown/I-77 I have been scoping out frequently in the work van for return visits on 2 wheels. 541 is pretty great on either side of coshocton, but west is definitely the best. Great twisties right out of town, then seemingly endless miles of straight plateau through the very eerily-peaceful stretch void of signs of civilization other than the road and occasional oil wells, this is the  reclaimed land designated as the Woodbury Wildlife Area. Nearing the end of that, you bomb down a big curvey hill to the crossroads of 60, and 541 is really great and twisty from there to 79...

60 has a nice stretch just north of 16, but from Tunnel Hill @ 541 to Warsaw it's much better. 

I have yet to hit 83 north of Coshocton much. From 93 to coshocton it's decent, the neverending curving big hill climb after Wills Creek is a blast, but south of 93,or south of Stoney Point Rd (very gravelly unfortunately or would be a good link up road to/from 209), 83 is REALLY AWESOME down to 209. Then average below that.

83 and 93 make a nice X to connect the dots, and 541 can connect them at the top, Norfield Rd or Norfield to New Hope Rd to the south.

93 is better in that area for the longer duration (208@Adamsville or even more south, up to 541), but that section of 83 from Stoney Point Rd to 209 is just epic...

There are some other nice county roads around there as well. There's a good 60 bypass at an intersection in (Copperdale?) @ the general store, that bypasses 60 and dumps you just a ways east of 60 on top of the 541 Woodbury plateau. Another few off 60, and "Spring Mtn Rd" as littlecarbsbigsmiles calls it - have to check out the north of Warsaw/36 routes still.

My heart really lies in Hocking and deeper SE OH, West Virginia, etc... but the Coshocton/Zanesville etc area I'm becoming pretty fond of... no speed traps, very little traffic, no tourists, only an occasional state trooper seen driving on 83 or 93, nice hills, decent curves, peaceful.

Around the OH-26 and OH-260 area is where I really strive to go but Coshocton/Zville is much closer!

Edited by Chuck78
Typos

On 5/1/2016 at 2:47 PM, Chuck78 said:

How were the road/surface conditions on 715???  It's been a mixed bag the past several years.  I need to make it up 206 and areas north of Warsaw that I have yet to visit.

Work has me out that way a few times a month, so just about everything south of 36 all the way to Newcomerstown/I-77 I have been scoping out frequently in the work van for return visits on 2 wheels. 541 is pretty great on either side of coshocton, but west is definitely the best. Great twisties right out of town, then seemingly endless miles of straight plateau through the very eerily-peaceful stretch void of signs of civilization other than the road and occasional oil wells, this is the  reclaimed land designated as the Woodbury Wildlife Area. Nearing the end of that, you bomb down a big curvey hill to the crossroads of 60, and 541 is really great and twisty from there to 79...

60 has a nice stretch just north of 16, but from Tunnel Hill @ 541 to Warsaw it's much better. 

I have yet to hit 83 north of Coshocton much. From 93 to coshocton it's decent, the neverending curving big hill climb after Wills Creek is a blast, but south of 93,or south of Stoney Point Rd (very gravelly unfortunately or would be a good link up road to/from 209), 83 is REALLY AWESOME down to 209. Then average below that.

83 and 93 make a nice X to connect the dots, and 541 can connect them at the top, Norfield Rd or Norfield to New Hope Rd to the south.

93 is better in that area for the longer duration (208@Adamsville or even more south, up to 541), but that section of 83 from Stoney Point Rd to 209 is just epic...

There are some other nice county roads around there as well. There's a good 60 bypass at an intersection in (Copperdale?) @ the general store, that bypasses 60 and dumps you just a ways east of 60 on top of the 541 Woodbury plateau. Another few off 60, and "Spring Mtn Rd" as littlecarbsbigsmiles calls it - have to check out the north of Warsaw/36 routes still.

My heart really lies in Hocking and deeper SE OH, West Virginia, etc... but the Coshocton/Zanesville etc area I'm becoming pretty fond of... no speed traps, very little traffic, no tourists, only an occasional state trooper seen driving on 83 or 93, nice hills, decent curves, peaceful.

Around the OH-26 and OH-260 area is where I really strive to go but Coshocton/Zville is much closer!

715 was pretty good shape it was pretty iffy for a while after they tar and chipped parts but like I said it was fine.

• Upvote 1