Like I need another hobby

scottb

Ok, so I have not been on in awhile. 

I was on vacation a few weeks ago in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Decided to go pawn shop lurking.

Ended up buying a blue Fender Squier Bullet guitar. 

I have always wanted a blue Fender Strat. I know, it is an entry level Squier, but you have to start some where.

The strings were rusty, so i found information on Fender's site on replacing string and setting up the action.

I never played an instrument before, so I has some learning to do.

This is also at the same time I just finished building my darkroom, so I will not really have alot of freetime.

Fender Bullet.jpg

• Upvote 2

Darkroom for hand processing black and white film.

The room to the open door is complete dark, to be used for unloading film from the canisters.

The second photo is a few cameras I puchased. I really like the Nikon 6006 cameras. I have 4 of them. Never know when you need a backup. 

The top camera, a Nikon Nikkormat  is from about 1974. I want to use this camera, but something in the self timer gearing is stuck, causing the shutter to not function.

darkroom.jpg

nikon.jpg

I always wanted a Placid Blue Strat. (The lighter baby blue.) Picked one up, an early 80s model Mex Strat, years ago. Surprisingly good action on it. I just gave away my old darkroom. Durst 606. Just packed up my Nikons. All film stuff I don't use anymore. Two Nikkormats, FE, FM, F2, F3, and a lot of lenses. Looking for a couple of Nikon digital bodies to go with the lenses.

It's probably cheaper to find another Nikkormat body, but here is a Nikkormat parts and repair manual. http://ss-it.de/data/servicemanuals/Nikkormat%20EL.pdf

edit: More service manuals: http://arcticwolfs.net/

Edited by ReconRat

Thank you for the links. I have one manual for the Nikkormat. The on I have is the EL model, with a battery for the spot meter. THe version before mine, is just the Nikkormat. I only have one lens with the "rabbit ears". Were you looking to sell any of your nikons?

15 hours ago, scottb said:

Thank you for the links. I have one manual for the Nikkormat. The on I have is the EL model, with a battery for the spot meter. THe version before mine, is just the Nikkormat. I only have one lens with the "rabbit ears". Were you looking to sell any of your nikons?

A lot of memories in my gear, and didn't really want to part with any of it. But used Nikon gear is everywhere. Lots of people have them, and don't even try to sell them. For many years, no one would even buy them. My Nikkormat EL, F2ftn and F3ti, a 28mm and a 105mm were all picked up used. I do get the impression the prices might climb back up slowly. There's a resurgent interest in film cameras and developing. (And Nikon no longer makes film cameras.) The one exception is the gear used by professionals, still commands a high price, even used. Usually very used if found, worn out. The 105mm portrait lenses comes to mind.

I sent my lenses out to Nikon for the update conversion. Not sure anywhere is still doing that. If buying used lens, be sure it's got the up-to-date conversion. Unless planning to use on one of the old bodies only.

5 minutes ago, scottb said:

I picked up a Fender mustang amp too

I nabbed a Mustang from Ault on here a while back.  Nice little amps for around the house.  I use it mainly for acoustic electric - creamy chorus and good overall clean tones, just never been a fan of Fender's distortion.  Then again, your guitars triple rail pickup config probably wont bring out as much of the bright bite that humbuckers tend to do.

Practice and time investment are the key.  You'll get what you put into it.  Some just get it quicker than others.  I was a slow learner, but I'm self taught via books on basic theory, chords, scales, and modes.  Of course back then there was no YouTube, so now there's a vast audio visual database to learn from at your leisure.  Good luck man, hope you enjoy it!

Since both of your guitars are fixed bridge, you can drop D quickly on either one.  All of my electrics have tremolos, so they all lock down at the nut, killing quick tuning changes.  If you have smaller hands, the ESP will likely feel like a "faster" neck ( thinner ) and be a little easier to reach/play.  Both are great first guitars though.  

21 minutes ago, scottb said:

Thank you. I plan to start learning the theroy parts of music, chords and scales. Plus with the Internet, there is a site http://www.justinguitar.com/ looks like a goodplace for me to start. After I am comfortable with a basic foundation, then i might take lessons

Not to take anything away from physical lessons, there's just so much available online anymore....for free....that it's truly surprising there are still guitarists teaching at local music stores.  I dont know the going rates now days, but in 1991 I paid $8 for a 1/2 hour lesson....once....he simply handed me a sheet of pentatonic scales and went over how to hold a pick and fret strings properly.  That's it.  Never went back.  That same day I bought Dave Celantanos book of monster scales and modes for $12 on my way out of the store and learned everything I know on my own.  A disappointment for me, but those were my only 2 options back then - books or teachers.  Dont let my bad experience sway you.  Pursue what works best for you.  Try some lessons if you'd prefer one on one and be able to get questions answered, or surf the web for the answers.  Hope you find it as addicting as I do

I got into playing (noodling) the guitar a few years ago. Friend of mine bought a set of drums, we'd get together on the weekends, have a few beers, and jam out.

It was a lot of fun, we sounded like shit though. :)

Even built an EVH tribute guitar...

Not sure how to post a picture...

{option}http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/sprocket226/1f818c849c7a1517af53e30edf00806f.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by sprocket226
  • Upvote 1

So far, the super basic thing i have learned are the string names using this cheesy sentance: Elephants And Donkeys Grow Big Ears.

It is a start. With a fixed bridge and a built in tuner on my amp plus a phone app, I see now how easy it is to tune the string standard and then into drop D.

But that is cool, i have them now, so just need to use them.

There is a local guy, Neil Zaza that makes a living playing guitar. His two big songs are called " I'm all right" and his cover version of Purple Rain.

He is more popular overseas than in the US. I would like to spend an hour with him, taking lessons when he offers them.