How to be a cafe racer

Connie14

By the way this is going I must be the anti-cafe owner.  I have the cafe racer style bike but none of the rest of it fits.  I don't like coffee or tea, I don't own a single flannel or skinny jeans.  Pretty much have the same goatee for the last 20 years and i ride with modern full gear.  Shit, maybe this is why nobody likes me. :)

• Upvote 1

I always try to correct people when they call my bike a 'cafe racer' and they look at me like I have a dick growing out of my forehead.

I do wear a shirt when I'm out riding and know I'll have my jacket off. It says 'Call it a Cafe Racer and I'll punch you in the face'. Love that shirt.

Hipsters ruin everything

• Upvote 1

Here is my idea of Cafe Racer;  Modern fuel injected bike with as many custom and one off parts as can be made or afforded, still unreliable as sin.  Fat sticky tires and riding to the edges of them at speeds that give most of your riding buddies cause for concern.

560789.jpg

1 hour ago, vf1000ride said:

Here is my idea of Cafe Racer;  Modern fuel injected bike with as many custom and one off parts as can be made or afforded, still unreliable as sin.  Fat sticky tires and riding to the edges of them at speeds that give most of your riding buddies cause for concern.

560789.jpg

Yes we get it. You want attention. That qualifies you as a cafe racer....

Fucking hipsters....

I used to have a bike with Yugo headlight electrical taped on the bike for lighting reasons because I was poor. These mofos got sisters jeans on But their bikes don't look too chopped up probably could be brought back to stock to make money off of bike

Ok, so I learned I need to pose like Captain Morgan, grow a bread like the Duck Dynasty guys, and park in front of coffe shops, drinking a normally hot beverage loaded with ice cubes. Got it.

And the cool kids called the other electrical tape design a hash-tag.

6 hours ago, Tonik said:

Ok, Tom Petty I like. Well, like is a pretty strong word. Lets go with 'don't hate'.

You caught that, you're good! Maybe the best I've ever seen. 

Oh, we got another one, just like the other ones
Another bad ass, another troublemaker
I'm scared, ain't you boys scared?
I wonder if he's gonna show us what bad is?
Boys, we gotta man with a dog collar on
You think we oughta' trow ol' Spike a bone?

Hey Spike what do you like?
Hey Spike what do you like?

Here's another misfit, another Jimmy Dean
Bet be's got a motorbike,
What'a y'all think?
Bet if we good we'll get a ride on it
If be ain't too mad about the future
Matbe we oughta help him see
The future ain't what it used to be

Hey Spike, you're scarin' my wife
Hey Spike what do you like
Please Spike, tell us 'bout life

12 hours ago, Lawrence1 said:

Once the fad wears off some of these guys and gals will stick around and become motorcyclist. Not sure where the hate comes from. Not everybody can start on a dirt bike. 

I will admit the fad thing to be annoying.  I built my first "Cafe" style bike back in 1994 from a '75 Honda CB750.  Crashed it maybe two years later (new rider and all).  Second "Cafe" style bike was around 2003 when I picked up a Kawasaki KZ1000 and had it tricked out.  Got rid of it in 2008 when I got the Ducati.  I like the fact that the Cafe style bikes became popular but it is a double edge sword because there really are more posers than riders in this genre.  Other than 2012 when it spent the entire riding season getting rebuilt after hitting a turkey I have ridden the crud out of that poor bike.  I've got 26k miles on it and it has been ridden (no not trailered) as far as Georgia and back.

My issue is kids with zero knowledge or experience buying a $700 heap off Craigslist and then putting a bunch of shitty eBay bolt on parts on it and sharing the road with me on a bike that is likely unsafe. I've tried to tell these guys that those $80 shocks may look neat but they're sprung for a 150cc moped and have maybe 2 inches of useabke stroke. Their reply is 'I don't care, it's about how the bike looks'. 

Hope they at least buy decent gear.

• Upvote 1

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gMwxnLwcIOs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/embed/gMwxnLwcIOs

https://www.youtube.com/embed/gMwxnLwcIOs

in case it wont embed:

https://youtu.be/gMwxnLwcIOs

Edited by Tonik
FTFY
  • Upvote 3

Ok,

the video is funny, but I don't understand the hate. Sure, there are lots of kids wrecking crappy old bikes with bad modifications but there is always a fad like that. Do you really think that the Ace cafe was full of highly detailed Tritons and commandos back in the 1960's?

then the 1970's chopper craze with 8 foot long forks and no front brake. You had street fighters and stupid choppers. At least with the cafe and brat craze there is now a lot of aftermarket parts and some people are making money selling them parts and working on bikes for those who are not mechanical.

6 hours ago, Rusnak_322 said:

Ok,

the video is funny, but I don't understand the hate. Sure, there are lots of kids wrecking crappy old bikes with bad modifications but there is always a fad like that. Do you really think that the Ace cafe was full of highly detailed Tritons and commandos back in the 1960's?

then the 1970's chopper craze with 8 foot long forks and no front brake. You had street fighters and stupid choppers. At least with the cafe and brat craze there is now a lot of aftermarket parts and some people are making money selling them parts and working on bikes for those who are not mechanical.

The fads always come with rightful hate, just the way it is. I personally dislike the cafe fad since it ruined the hobby for me. 3 years ago these 70's/80's bikes and parts could be had for pennies. The well off hipsters throwing out money caused a very fast surge in pricing on everything. What I've seen in the vintage metric bike market is equivalent to gentrification of city areas. I've been 'pushed out' of my hobby because I can no longer afford it, it's now for well off folk.

That's my reason for the hate :)