Iron Pony

CONTACT

Frank Lark

614-806-7265

frank@ironpony.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: April 4, 2016

Iron Pony® Motorsports Group Announces The Acquisition Of

McCune Cycle World, Inc Of Mansfield, Ohio

Columbus, Ohio - Iron Pony Motorsports Group is pleased to announce the acquisition of McCune Cycle World, Inc

of Mansfield, Ohio. According to Iron Pony Motorsports Group President and CEO Chris Jones “McCune Cycle World

has been a successful family owned multi-line powersport dealer in the state of Ohio for over 38 years.” When asked

what prompted the purchase of the business from Mick & Cindy McCune, Jones responded “we are always on the

hunt to add solid multi-line powersports dealerships throughout the state of Ohio to our growing group of businesses.

Especially dealerships that serve areas where we see great growth potential.”

When asked about the timing of the acquisition, Chief Financial Officer Cory Atwood states “The McCune’s have

given a good part of their life to operating a successful Powersports business in the state of Ohio, and are in an

enviable position to begin their retirement. We are fortunate that they believe in our business model and chose us

to purchase their business at this time.”

Tammy Jones, Vice President of Iron Pony Motorsports Group states “McCune Cycle World is a well known six line

O.E.M. powersports dealership that sells Honda, Suzuki, Polaris, KTM, Victory & Kawasaki in the Northern Ohio

market. Our Pony Powersports® Group has had a smaller market dealership planned for many years and we feel

the greater Mansfield market is a good launching ground for this concept.” When asked for further information

on the smaller dealership concept, Frank Lark, Vice President of Marketing & Growth Manager responded “We

are excited to combine a mini-version of our Iron Pony Motorsports store with an established multi-line dealership.

Our small market powersports parts, apparel and accessories store will be called Iron Pony® Express, and

the former McCunes Cycle World, Inc powersports dealership will now fly under our Pony Powersports® Group flag.”

Adding further support to the small market hybrid dealership/retail store conversation, Alan Schatz,

Operations Manager commented ”We have operated three distinct sized businesses (Small, Mid-Sized & Superstore)

successfully over the history of our company, and are well versed in the unique opportunities we will face in

Mansfield, Ohio”

McCune Cycle World, Inc operations will be fully

handed over to Iron Pony Motorsports Group in

April, 2016. All existing staff of the current dealership

in Mansfield, Ohio have been offered positions

with Pony Powersports® Group,

or Iron Pony® Express.

About Iron Pony Motorsports Group

Iron Pony® Motorsports Group is headquartered in Westerville, Ohio and is locally and family owned. Iron Pony Motorsports group

has been serving the powersports community for over 40 years and is made up of the following divisions: Pony Powersports®

Dealership (Sales and service of new and used powersports vehicles), Iron Pony® Motorsports Retail Superstore (Powersports

sales of parts, apparel & accessories), Iron Pony® Direct (Ecommerce and Mail-Order sales of powersports parts, apparel &

accessories), Iron Pony® Riding Academy (Motorcycle rider training for both new and experienced riders), EagleRider® Columbus

(Motorcycle rental division). www.ironpony.com www.ponypowersports.com

About McCune Cycle World

McCune Cycle World, Inc was a multi-line family run powersports dealership based in Mansfield, Ohio from 1978 - 2016.

All assets were acquired by Iron Pony Motorsports Group in April of 2016. www.mccunecycleworld.com

5436 Westerville Road • Westerville, Ohio 43081 • PH. 614-942-0063 • FX. 614-891-4740

With Sport Tour not having a physical location here any longer (I suspect they may just close up shop at some point), it's slim pickings outside of the dealers and their limited inventory in Cincinnati. This area is ripe for a parts/gear/apparel store.

Edited by ScubaCinci

I sure do hope Iron Pony isn't overextending themselves by front-loading sales without backing it up with solid service, and the ability to get an appointment without having to drop the bike off for an undetermined duration. Being fairly firm on sales price had better be backed up after the sale, or riders will cherry pick around the area. That's a LOT of expansion and new brands in just two short years.

32 minutes ago, Heagachongoose said:

Neat. Good move on their part. Puts them within waddling distance of the mid-o right? That's going to wring in some business for sure.

Well I guess there is that....

but in my mind clevelands south and east suburbs are loaded with middle aged males who go out and buy Harley's and seems to me they could capitalize on the accessory market here..

Edited by zx3vfr

McCunes has went down hill a lot in the past 5 years. I am sure the Iron Pony will fix that. Hope they buy that old Pizza hut building and make some more parking. 

You Cleveland guys have Kames. Central Ohio has small dealers that never have anything in stock.  

Just now, zx3vfr said:

Go suck an egg

What, it's true., And there is nothing wrong with Harley gear. It's all re-branded and made by the usual manufacturers. For example their touring seats are made by Mustang and cost the same as buying it from Mustang.

• Upvote 1

On 4/4/2016 at 1:42 PM, ScubaCinci said:

With Sport Tour not having a physical location here any longer (I suspect they may just close up shop at some point), it's slim pickings outside of the dealers and their limited inventory in Cincinnati. This area is ripe for a parts/gear/apparel store.

trust me, its not so ripe... unfortunately, video killed the radio star. With big places like revzilla, MS, IP, and a bunch others, its hard for us small guys to compete in the retail world. the only time we make any profit whatsoever, is labor sales. if we try to mark up parts/accessories/apparel, its always "i can get it cheaper on the internet". We actually accept 'bring your own parts' to help customers save a buck. its ruthless out there. its so easy to lose business over a $5 bill.

saying all that, i'd still love to open a retail store front in the downtown cincinnati area, maybe someday...

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 3.504 said:

trust me, its not so ripe... unfortunately, video killed the radio star. With big places like revzilla, MS, IP, and a bunch others, its hard for us small guys to compete in the retail world. the only time we make any profit whatsoever, is labor sales. if we try to mark up parts/accessories/apparel, its always "i can get it cheaper on the internet". We actually accept 'bring your own parts' to help customers save a buck. its ruthless out there. its so easy to lose business over a $5 bill.

saying all that, i'd still love to open a retail store front in the downtown cincinnati area, maybe someday...

It's getting engrained into people's mind that making a profit is evil. I run into the same thing, I can get it cheaper at Walmart.... But then the fuckers slap support communism stickers on light poles at Walmart.    Anyways a business generating less than 1 million in sales, with 6-10 employees really shouldn't be making a profit beyond paying the owner a salary. 

16 minutes ago, Bad324 said:

Where oh where could they possibly have gotten that idea. hmmmmmm

And what no one seems to understand in simple terms is a small business needs to sell 10 dongles marked up $10 to make the same as big online retailer sells 100 dongles marked up 1 dollar. But mostly because the big online retailers and box stores strong arm companies into either wholesaling at a deep discount so the manufacture starts making less OR running a giant e commerce/scan to pay/ consignment scheme. 

Edited by zx3vfr
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, 3.504 said:

Understood...I personally try to support the small businesses when I can. My wife and I are small business owners and had a retail small business for a time but sold it several years ago. You used to be able to make a nice living with your own small business...now you get by and it doesn't helped that the gov't ass-rapes small business owners in taxes.

• Upvote 1