Knocking with clutch out

JackImpact

The day i stopped by after you guys rode it did you notice it making this sound?. I know we disused how rich it smelled and how crappy it ran. I think a little background info might be insightful for people trying to chime in. Lets start with what i somewhat know about it. It sat for several years with less than 30.000 miles on the motor. When you got it home how many miles did you put on it and did you change the oil or still running on whats in when you got it? That noise i would agree doesnt sound like valves i can also hear them clicking. And the basket noise i mean yeah it could be i also had a 85 fz 600 that did the same thing but yours sounds like a deep tone knock. I hope that the worse hasnt happen as in the main jet stuck dumped fuel in the cylinder and has washed down the oil and now you have a bottom end knock.  But that is a worse case sanarao. But yeah lett someone a little more savy than you and myself check it out before you need a new old bike

• Upvote 1

The sound in your video is definitely louder than anything I have ever heard from any of my clutches. Hard to tell from a video though. When you change that oil I would suggest you look it over. Make sure it looks ok.

It is not uncommon for a bike to sound weird or knock with the transmission in neutral and clutch engaged.  The transmission is running without a load and the dog engagement range is pretty big so it tends to sound like loose marbles.  If it goes away with clutch pulled in or under load I would not worry about it.

Edited by whaler

130 miles is a bit of a haul. Hell of a house call. I could do it but it would cost you and there's gotta be someone closer.

I can no longer in good conscience give you instruction or advice, I feel that you are out of your depth and should seek experienced  intervention.

3 minutes ago, whaler said:

It is not uncommon for a bike to sound weird or knock with the transmission in neutral and clutch engaged.  The transmission is running without a load and the dog engagement range is pretty big so it tends to sound like loose marbles.  If it goes away with clutch pulled in or under load I would not worry about it.

With the bike in neutral the only part of the transmission that's turning is the input shaft. There is no dog engagement when the transmission is in neutral. 

Just now, JackImpact said:

Fuck it I'm going to get oil right now. I'll warm it up and clean it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just dump the oil and replace...do not worry about warming it up.  You do not want to risk further damage of the sound is coming from a rod or crank bearing.

1 minute ago, whaler said:

Just dump the oil and replace...do not worry about warming it up.  You do not want to risk further damage of the sound is coming from a rod or crank bearing.

Roger. Will dump away. Have a replacement filter as well. 10w40. Any suggestions for what brand that walmart has on hand?

If you have gas in the crank and have been running it tiss very bad for lots of stuff.

If that's the case I'm betting you floats are stuck open and like CSC said before seek professional help. Because it's oviously beyond your knowledge.