Stunting Legalities?

OhioFirebolt

So has anyone ever got hassled by the police for stunting on the streets or on private property? Ive done a little research online and it seems in some states you can get in trouble even on private property if it isn't yours or if you don't have consent from the owner. Anyone with input? Thanks.

• Downvote 1

Stunting on public roads is a douchebag move and cops will ream you for it. Private property is better, and certain places around akron they don't hassle you, one being the old children's palace down the hill from the old rolling acres mall. 

• Upvote 3

I'm no lawyer, but don't see how cops could hassle you for stunting on private property if all of the following are true:

• It's your property or you have explicit permission to be there doing what you are doing
  • Your stunting isn't a threat to neighboring property or persons (i.e. lost wheelie causes bike to hit neighbor's house)
  • The stunting is not an overt nuisance to neighboring property owners (i.e. noise)

If you are on private property I can see how they may stop and question you but if you are not violating any of the above I don't see how they can say anything but "be careful and carry on".

If you don't have permission to be on the property, there are numerous reasons for ejecting you including but not limited to liability issues for the property owner(s).

Edited by ScubaCinci
  • Upvote 1

Stunting in traffic is unwise as it takes longer to react to emergency situations when you only have 1 wheel on the ground. Wheelies are fun & can be habit forming though.  Pick when & where carefully as they are a 4 point offense. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

Stunting on public roads is a douchebag move and cops will ream you for it. Private property is better, and certain places around akron they don't hassle you, one being the old children's palace down the hill from the old rolling acres mall. 

I work right there. There was a dude that wrecked on Vernon Odom because he was riding a wheelie and the light turned and he decided to try and stop for it. His mistake because I opened my window so he could hopefully hear me laughing loudly and shaking my head calling him a dumbass

Starboys stunt crew around Cleveland used to host courses and teach you various stunts, but that's been many years ago.  Not sure they're even in business anymore.  Rode with a guy over a decade ago that went through their classes and he could do some cool shit, but he'd do it in the middle of a group ride.  Quit riding with all the crazy guys not long after that, just too much liability to act a fool on the public roads.  I do know you'll beat the ever loving shit out of a bike or 2 before you're seasoned, at least that's been the norm with stunters I've talked to, so it's an expensive hobby

Edited by Hellmutt

41 minutes ago, Hellmutt said:

Starboys stunt crew around Cleveland used to host courses and teach you various stunts, but that's been many years ago.  Not sure they're even in business anymore.  Rode with a guy over a decade ago that went through their classes and he could do some cool shit, but he'd do it in the middle of a group ride.  Quit riding with all the crazy guys not long after that, just too much liability to act a fool on the public roads.  I do know you'll beat the ever loving shit out of a bike or 2 before you're seasoned, at least that's been the norm with stunters I've talked to, so it's an expensive hobby

Those fuckers stunted (pun intended) my timeline of getting a motorcycle. Watched one of those fuckers slide down 90 West before dead mans curve at 100mph wearing a wife beater and shorts when I was 13. 

I do stoppies all the time I'm the grom. Never been hassled. Did do a huge one last week next to a Harley getting off the highway, I got the rear damn high and he was laughing thinking I was going to bite it, then he turned around to look at his gearless wife, lost his balance and fell over.

Edited by zx3vfr
  • Upvote 3

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 2:11 PM, CrazySkullCrusher said:

douchebag move?...ok. That's a douchebag statement imo. It can be done in a douchebag manner for sure but to just label it as a douchebag move is...like I said. People love seeing stunts, they are entertaining, they are enjoyable to see and do (to a lot of people), and if you aren't an idiot, they aren't dangerous. If you do this thing called practice, you wont be a danger to yourself nor to others.

"The asshole stunter speaks"

no, I'm not a stunter, I don't stunt out my bike, but I will do stunts on public roads on and off, and I'm not being a douchebag about it. A kid signals wheelie so I'm a douche for doing one?...people at a bar or a party are outside having a good time, Knowing they'd love to see it I'm a douche for doing wheelies for them?...I'm on the highway in my own space and get the urge for doing a wheelie, so I'm a douchebag for enjoying myself?

I can answer for you, No, I'm not, and I'm not worried about the haters.

On topic, yes you will be more than hassled for stunting on public roads, and if you do it on private property like it was said you have to have permission then you're fine. If you want to try some stunts:

1. Be smart about it, make slow progress don't think you can do what you see on youtube instantly, you'll hurt yourself if not kill yourself if you're really stupid.

2. Find a vacant or low populated street to practice if you don't have access to private property somewhere. If you try practicing in a neighborhood cops will be there in 10 minutes...if you practice on busy streets a cop will see you and pull you...think about where you can go there are public streets out there that aren't used very much that will work.

3. Don't mind haters or people who act like only douchebags stunt...trust me, you give excitement to a lot of people by stunting as long as you aren't stupid about it (stunting through red lights/stop signs, making a bunch of noise in neighborhoods etc etc). So if it's an interest, try it out!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Yea but It's not like drinking and driving where you're in a car and you literally kill others. My little motorized plastic isn't going to seriously injure or kill anybody besides myself (outside of some kind of freakish incident where everything lines up for the worse).

It's just life we live with other people no matter what other people will make your life more dangerous unwillingly. Its like driving next to a semi...I don't want that, if he fucks up I'm dead right...yea we get it but it is life. And obviously there's a line you draw to where it's not "just life" but that being said I don't get how we have this idea that "omg my life is at risk he's doing a wheelie"...like really...a dent in your car if he loses control isn't going to kill you. Running over his body or bike if he flies under your wheel won't cause you to lose control, its just not going to happen. Stay clear of the guy if you really think that plastic is going to obliterate you. Give me a break.

Edited by Soldierrrr
  • Downvote 5

If someone dented my car because they lost it doing a wheelie. They had better hope they are injured in the ensuing collision otherwise I would have to dent them back. Eye for an eye

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Soldierrrr said:

Yea but It's not like drinking and driving where you're in a car and you literally kill others.

Your entire premise is based on a lie. Stunters on the street most certainly do kill and injure  people. It happens a lot more than you think. You fail to understand you are EXACLTY the same as a drunk driver. They dont think they are going to hurt anyone. They think they are fine and in control. Both of you are wrong, very wrong. 

Its one thing to make a mistake and accidentally kill someone. But it is entirely different to decide to drink and drive or stunt on a public road and consciously decide to put others in danger.

I find your disregard for others in pursuit of your own fun to be quite disturbing. 

legacy.wfaa.com/story/news/crime/2014/08/10/13637294

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, Soldierrrr said:

Yea but It's not like drinking and driving where you're in a car and you literally kill others. My little motorized plastic isn't going to seriously injure or kill anybody besides myself (outside of some kind of freakish incident where everything lines up for the worse).

It's just life we live with other people no matter what other people will make your life more dangerous unwillingly. Its like driving next to a semi...I don't want that, if he fucks up I'm dead right...yea we get it but it is life. And obviously there's a line you draw to where it's not "just life" but that being said I don't get how we have this idea that "omg my life is at risk he's doing a wheelie"...like really...a dent in your car if he loses control isn't going to kill you. Running over his body or bike if he flies under your wheel won't cause you to lose control, its just not going to happen. Stay clear of the guy if you really think that plastic is going to obliterate you. Give me a break.

The person doing the wheelie may not kill me but I don't want to live with the fact that when I ran over his body as you mentioned he was killed. No thanks. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, durk said:

The person doing the wheelie may not kill me but I don't want to live with the fact that when I ran over his body as you mentioned he was killed. No thanks. 

I would have no problem living with that. Hell, I would back over him a few times just ro make sure.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Tonik said:

I would have no problem living with that. Hell, I would back over him a few times just ro make sure.

No, I think it happens far less than you think it does. And again, I'm not defending flying down the wrong side of the highway, or stunting on the wrong side etc. I'm defending me doing whatever stunts I wish within reason, stunting on the wrong side of the road has no reasoning, (which is what happened in the link you led me to). Again, in my first response I said it clearly can be done in a douchebag manner, but just stunting in general on public roads isn't always being a douchebag, It simply isn't. If I did a wheelie on the wrong side of the road I 100% feel like a douche, are you kidding... of course...same with doing any stunt on the other side, period. But, if I'm stunting in my own lane, flowing with traffic on one wheel...no, I don't feel like a douche, and if you're a pussy who despises me for it honestly I don't care because I'm not doing anything to you.

so you have never seen or done a wheelie or stoppie or anything else  that hasn't gone perfectly to plan? you have never drifted slightly across the line? or better yet your perfect.. you have never made a mistake but you doing a wheelie has caused another driver to loose focus.(because your doing something that isn't common place on a road) and that drive slams on the brakes suddenly  and you have to avoid it?  oh yeah accidents never happen..

think about it.. you are consciously  making the choice to do something that  COULD cause injury or kill someone.  driving  daily in a normal manor accidents happen.. but making raising the stakes by doing a stunt  is douchebag... your mindset is flawed...

seriously though stunt away.. on  private lots  then you wouldn't get the flack...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TwiztedRabbit said:

so you have never seen or done a wheelie or stoppie or anything else  that hasn't gone perfectly to plan? you have never drifted slightly across the line? or better yet your perfect.. you have never made a mistake but you doing a wheelie has caused another driver to loose focus.(because your doing something that isn't common place on a road) and that drive slams on the brakes suddenly  and you have to avoid it?  oh yeah accidents never happen..

think about it.. you are consciously  making the choice to do something that  COULD cause injury or kill someone.  driving  daily in a normal manor accidents happen.. but making raising the stakes by doing a stunt  is douchebag... your mindset is flawed...

seriously though stunt away.. on  private lots  then you wouldn't get the flack...

Of course I have and of course I'm not perfect. My point, is exactly the fact that I have yet nobody was put in danger by it, except me. And putting aside something freakish (like the car next to me freaking out beyond reason and doing something ridiculous) 99% of the time NOTHING IS GOING TO HAPPEN to anybody else except me, I'm going to pay the price, not the person watching. And if you live life worried about that other 1 % you have a pussy mindset.

My mindset isn't politically correct, but it's far from flawed. I know I cant win this argument in this place but I really don't care, there's a reason the stunting section in this forum is dead because anybody who shows interest in it is labeled douchebag...

its online, everyone loves being politically correct online. Its like people who say speeding on a bike is the worst thing in the world, its a joke. Going 85 in a 65 on a motorcycle is so dangerous and so selfish right?...I'll take flak on here all day but in the real world when I do a wheelie I see excited faces inside cars and almost everytime I get a thumbs up, and I continue my cruise with a smile on my face feeling good...that's the real world.

• Upvote 2