Entry Level Tech Job in Newark

Cdubyah

A friend just sent me this, so I'm passing it along. I have no idea what the hours or the pay is like.

IMMEDIATE OPENING

LACA is seeking a new member for our technology team to provide technology support to member K-12 school districts. 

Entry-level applicants are welcome. Please feel free to share this message with potential candidates.

Job location is Newark, Ohio. Application Deadline April 8, 2016.

Please send resumes to resume@laca.org. 

JOB DESCRIPTION

1. Provides primary support on installation, configuration, daily administration, maintenance, monitoring, backup, security and troubleshooting of all wide area network operating systems and hardware connecting to the LACA network and LACA resources, both in the data center and customer premises.

2. Maintains maximum knowledge of network operating systems consisting of but not limited to bridge/router technology, firewalls, switches, hubs, inter-network protocols (IP, etc.) and network scenarios in a local area network / wide area network (LAN/WAN) environment.

3. Maintains maximum knowledge of LACA hosted wireless solution access points, controllers, and other hardware/software components used within the LACA network.

4. Maintains maximum knowledge of Internet filtering systems.

5. Provides backup support of Voice over IP (VoIP) servers, phones, and other VoIP system components used within the LACA network.

6. Provides backup support for bridging and troubleshooting video calls, including video hardware, software and LAN connectivity necessary for video connection.

7. Provides backup support for LACA email systems and spam filters.

8. Provides backup support to System Manager for computer operations, backup procedures, security techniques, user directory organization, systems level software operation, management, maintenance, application programming techniques, operation and maintenance techniques and preventative maintenance procedures for all systems software and hardware. (Including, but not limited to Unix, Windows, OpenVMS, VMWare)

9. Coordinate, develop and provide effective training of clients and provide solutions to client concerns.

10. Constantly reviews the total communications systems in light of current technology for recommendations to enhance the network.

11. Keeps abreast of the latest state of the art technology in the areas of communications, networking, equipment, cabling, protocols, and software. 

Requirements

To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.

Language skills: Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from staff members and clients, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write reports. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.

Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret and extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.

Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit, stand, walk, and use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms, talk, or hear. The

employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, taste and smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The employee may occasionally be expected to move and/or lift 100 pounds or move but may obtain assistance or use equipment and carts to facilitate these tasks. Specific vision abilities by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.

Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works near moving, mechanical parts and is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to occasionally loud.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/23/2016 at 1:41 PM, Cdubyah said:

employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, taste and smell.

Well, that's a first for an IT job description that I've ever seen. Smell I can understand (the smell of electronics overheating) but taste?

• Upvote 2

Sounds like a great job where someone with little or no experience could learn a lot. That's rare...usually they want someone to come in to hit the ground running.

Many years ago with my current company (I celebrate 20 years this month) I applied for the position and the hiring manager told me I didn't really have any experience in a certain area to which I replied, I can never be experienced unless someone gives me the opportunity to get that experience. I was eventually given the role and the rest is history.

• Upvote 1

Funny, after you start a job they're never concerned what you have experience in. New problem somewhat related to a computer that a user can;t figure out(excel formulas)- Your job. They spend years building peoples' positions impossible for a replacement to have experience in all facets of.

Thats also a state job, sorta. So you will get state bennies. You too can have a boatload of vacation days like I do.  They are basically an ISP for schools.

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 1