Vulcan s

Tstang429

For the last several years i have been riding and enjoying my older bikes. One being my 82 450 nighthawk and the other being my 87 Kawasaki 454. Two years ago i did a huge ride on the night hawk. 2/3rds of the lake michigan circle tour. we did roughly 1600 miles in 4 days. Last year I rode limited with the kawasaki as I just got it. did only rough 2000k miles for the season. Going forward and loving riding I have been debating on getting a newer bike. I am really liking the looks and comfort of the vulcan 650s. I was wondering if anyone has any experience or insight on this bike. I am shorter and comfortable riding for me is flat footing the ground. The nighthawk was a little tall for me but the 454 is great. I am just looking for a little more power and newer. I love classics and its kinda fun pulling into a bike night several 100 miles and getting the you did not ride that this far look. But in all honestly I am not getting any younger and wanna keep enjoying long rides. I have a lot of family that are harley guys but i cant bring myself to pay the prices even a used one runs compared to the japan bikes. I have rode a few Harley and to be honest that vibrations not bad in short but after a few 100 miles i get off and still feel like im shaking.

I have a Vulcan Classic 1500 and it is great for longer rides.  Kawasaki does a great job making a very balanced bike with minimal vibrations.  I have never rode the 650s but the 900, my 1500 and my dads 1600 are all extremely comfortable.

If you're not inseam challenged, don't overlook the DL650 'Wee' Strom.  They make excellent all-round bikes for everything from grocery haulers to backroad hooners to long-mileage touring rigs.  They require a little set-up work upgrading the stock suspension--especially if you weigh in as a heavyweight--to make them a great handling bike, but you won't find an uglier, more beloved motorcycle anywhere that has the reputation of being about as reliable as a 24 oz framing hammer.  I've had mine for over 4 years and put 40K miles on it without a single glitch.

The wee Strom is definitely a comfy bike, I've rode one, not for very long but it was comfy and the motor has very good low and mid power. The Honda Shadow series of bikes all have nice low seats, great motors and can be had for pretty cheap and are very reliable as well, or you can usually get an older ujm like a Yamaha xj650 or Honda cx500 pretty cheap off eBay, both are low slung, comfortable and offer a decent amount of power. There are a lot of bikes out there, just gotta ride a few to get an idea of what you're looking for. 

yea i am very inseam challanged 29 inch. makes riding fun. plus with a weak knee torn lcl twice I have a lot to look into with the swing over. Stand and twist wrong out goes the knee. I have zero pivot in my left knee so I have learned how to get on and off certain bikes. Tried a sport bike once dang did that hurt. I know the vulcan s is running a ninja motor, and the ninja motor is similar to my 454s design. Doing all my own work and maintaince it would be nice to kinda know what i am getting into. Only thing i am not sure about is how Kawasaki went back to chain from previous belt designs.

Back to the original but unanswered question. I happen to have a Vulcan S parked in my garage. It's my wife's. She loves it. She was originally attracted to the "ergo-fit" feature because she is 5'4". The bike really fits her well as she got the "small" option. I have ridden it a couple times. I'm 6'1" so it was a bit small for me but I would recommend it for you. It's not your classic cruiser but that's a good thing. It is much lighter (approx. 500 lbs wet), leans further, better engine performance (55 rear wheel hp), think hp to weight ratio) 9500 rpm or so red line, decent midrange torque for such an engine. The engine was actually borrowed from the Ninja 650 but retuned for more midrange torque & less top end. If you seldom exceed 105 mph that shouldn't be a problem. The antilock brakes are also a plus. I can't complain about the price for a brand new bike either. Good luck with your decision.

• Upvote 1

Thanks jschaf. Yea the price is one of the most attractive. Right now I can pickup a last year model new for 5k. Waiting for the weather to get nicer and take one for a test. I am not sure if i want to spring the extra for the abs model or not. I know its a newer model so I am leery. If its anything like the 454 I would be really happy. That bike really leans for what looks like a standard cruiser of the 80s. I rode a few hondas some yamahas and this my old kawasaki. I am really amazed at how well my old bike rotates compared to some of the other models even newer ones. I appreciate your input.