Back on OR, New Toy

AndonD454

Hey OR,

Kind of fell off of the forum for a while after I sold the R6, so I figured I would jump back in with a new thread. After juggling a few toys around, I finally realized that I was happiest when I had my bike, so I bought another one in October. This is my first Suzuki (and honestly, still kind of miss my Yamahas, but maybe I'll outgrow that), but people seem to like these things, so I figured I would give it a shot. Bike is an 06 SV650S, got a decent deal on it, and it runs well, but has a lot of little issues to work out. The whole front end was a mess, so I bought a GSXR front end, and a ZX14 shock to even out the rear. Along with those came new brake pads, new front tire, grips, etc. Hoblick is putting the Frankenstein assortment of parts together over the next few weeks. 

My goal is to eventually make this a track machine, but I am keeping it street legal for now, while I get my track legs, and because this is my only bike. If anyone has experience with these and wants to offer some tips, I'm all ears. Might be out of parts money for a while, but I can get a list together for next winter. 

Looking forward to joining you guys (and gals) on a few rides again soon

A couple before pics - I'll post updates as they are complete: 

IMG_0023_zpst6kbbixk.jpg

IMG_0013_zpsqnvmhhnu.jpg

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, JackImpact said:

Welcome back :D I am one of those people who doesnt like a front end on the SV650. I like things naked. 

I usually prefer fully faired or not at all, but I'm kind of getting used to it. I'll take half-faired on the highway over naked

12 hours ago, 2talltim said:

nice clean lookin scooter, welcome back.

Thanks!

SVs are lovely bikes, nice and nimble with a sweet spot right around 7-8k rpm. You'll be spending a lot of time in 3rd gear... hehe. 

Suspension and brakes are the biggest two things with SVs but you should have both of those covered with the gsxr swap on the front and the zx14 rear (my SV has the same). If the swap doesn't include steel braided lines, I would toss those on. Also consider an aftermarket seat (corbin or sergent) as the stocker is formed just right to make you consider amputating your ass after a couple hours. 

Looks like that guy has some mods already with no clip-ons and (a single?) moto style grip. Will you be going back to clip-ons after the gsxr swap?

Edited by what
singular, not plural.

5 minutes ago, what said:

SVs are lovely bikes, nice and nimble with a sweet spot right around 7-8k rpm. You'll be spending a lot of time in 3rd gear... hehe. 

Suspension and brakes are the biggest two things with SVs but you should have both of those covered with the gsxr swap on the front and the zx14 rear (my SV has the same). If the swap doesn't include steel braided lines, I would toss those on. Also consider an aftermarket seat (corbin or sergent) as the stocker is formed just right to make you consider amputating your ass after a couple hours. 

Looks like that guy has some mods already with no clip-ons and (a single?) moto style grip. Will you be going back to clip-ons after the gsxr swap?

Yeah I'm still getting used to the power/tq curves, definitely different than the inline 4s I had, and not really as muscular as the HD vtiwns I've ridden.. kind of in between everything, but seems well-rounded. suspension and brakes were horrible.. I had steel likes before, Hoblick is going to try to transfer them, if not, I will get some in the near future. Thanks for the seat recommendation, haven't ridden it more than 30 min at a time yet. 

The dirt bike bar setup was done really poorly, it's way too thick for the stock controls, so those were zip-tied on. The drill-in riser mount on the GSXR triple is risky (I've heard, anyway), and this will be for spirited riding, so going with GSXR clip ons.

Cool! Welcome back. I just finished similar mods on my '05 SV650s. Transformed the 'lil turd. I am running an 08 GSXR front end, 07 wheel, clip-ons, and rear shock. If you're keeping the front fairing you will have to do some hard parts modification to get the clip ons to clear. 

Braided lines are a MUST. The GSXR brakes are still sub-par imo. 

15 hours ago, Heagachongoose said:

Cool! Welcome back. I just finished similar mods on my '05 SV650s. Transformed the 'lil turd. I am running an 08 GSXR front end, 07 wheel, clip-ons, and rear shock. If you're keeping the front fairing you will have to do some hard parts modification to get the clip ons to clear. 

Braided lines are a MUST. The GSXR brakes are still sub-par imo. 

Thanks for the info.. first time I heard that about the clip ons. Wonder if I'll end up going naked after all

It's not too bad, really all you have to do is move the solid fairing mounts on the sides of the frame down an inch or two. I just bent mine and made an extender out of 12g sheet. This effectively lowers the rearmost portion of the fairing 1.5-2in.

I literally couldn't turn my handlebars more than 30° before. My big hands would hit the fairings.

Quick update, the work is completed. Link to pics. I think it turned out great. We did run into the clip on clearance issue. its 95% resolved, may trim the fairing a bit and get a new clutch cable, but otherwise, works great. Huge improvement over stock. Great work by Hoblick as usual

Edited by AndonD454
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Heagachongoose said:

Are you still running the SV rear wheel? Swapping to the Gsxr wheel is relatively simple. You can get kits for around $50 or make it yourself if you're handy.

Yep SV rear still. no plans to switch at this point.. What are the advantages to the GSXR wheel?

2 hours ago, Heagachongoose said:

I'm curious to see what you guys went with for the speedometer as well. I don't see any magnets in the rotor, did you go with a rear wheel setup?

Hall effect sensor and magnets, they're on the left side rotor. 

The gsxr rear swap allows you to run a larger rear tire, i.e 180. The sv has a much thinner wheel from the factory, reccomended. I dont have the actual measurements handy.

Ah ok, I'm just blind then lol. You can use the sv sensor and wiring if you crack the case, the sensor pops right out. I wired a plug into my senso wiring about at the fender level and plugged it to the oem gsxr sensor. Works the same as the Hall.