Anyone ever make a knife?

speedytriple

Mild steel is not good for knife making, what is it? 1018 cold rolled? If the carbon content isn't too low you can harden and then anneal it and get some edge retention, otherwise it's useless. Also, forging will add strength vs shaping it. A wood camp fire gets steel hot enough to forge. Or you can make a propane fired forge from some fire brick and plastar of Paris. 

Subscribed.

My Dad was quite the  blacksmith, knifesmith, leathersmith, gunsmith, and scrimshaw artist back when he was alive.  I watched him many a time when I was a kid/teen and do remember him using stainless tool steel ( not sure of the grade, but that would vary with blade thickness anyway - along with your heat treating and tempering ) in an old handcrank wood forge in his workshop.  He'd make handles from antler hilt, or hardwood, and would tool/stitch/stain the leather sheathes, everything.  Wish I'd have paid more attention to his hobbies when I was young, he had talent

Like I said it's a scrap piece of steel we use as weld plates at work for triple pass tests. I know it will not hold a edge well. It was more just to see if I could do it. An my son an i are going to built a forge out of sand an plaster of Paris in a metal bucket he watches a utube channel an wants to build one. I can fire it in there. He wants to use it to melt alum, an brass to make casting. This is just a test to see if I can get it right. Will keep this updated when we get the forge done this week.

Edited by speedytriple

8 hours ago, 4DAIVI PAI2K5 said:

1 hour ago, speedytriple said:

That guy has some skill. I'm not anywhere near trying that.

13 minutes ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

I'm not even mad, I'm really just impressed.

He's got crafty, pro, knifesmithing skills.  Loving the feathered etching...

6XVRx8mh.jpg

8c274841e12b88eaaf51e4c1a18ba3af.jpg

My uncle helped me make the handle when I was like... 13 and my dad's (not so) native American friend made the sheath for me. Way to big for any real carry time, but cool to have.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk