Truck bed mountain bike chock/lock recommendations?

Helmutt

I've never owned a rack/chock/lock type device before, but I have an old '99 Diamondback X6 that I plan to beat on some more this year and would need to haul the bike now and then to the good dirt trails.   I want a SECURE method to lock the bike into the bed.   I drive a 2nd gen Tacoma with the bedrail system ( similar to what several other mfg's offer on their trucks ), and my first choice would be to use something that utilizes that rail instead of drilling the bed.   I considered just laying the bike on it's side and running a stout cable lock through the bike's frame and bed D-rings, but I'd much rather something more secure so the bike isn't free to move around.

For simplicities sake, a locking wheel chock version would be nice.....but I think the front axle chock locks would be more secure since the axles are quick release, making the bike less available to thieves by just releasing the front wheel.   It's not that I like/work in a high crime area, just prefer to be as theft deterrent as possible.  What do you guys use?

Edited by Hellmutt

23 minutes ago, Hellmutt said:

Baxley makes mountain bike chocks?

im going to go ahead and blame my illness and not having consumed anything other than a bottle of Gatorade since 9am yesterday for my confusion and thinking this was in regards to a dirt bike

:D

Damnit Jim, I just placed an order with Etrailer last week for a bunch of Cargobuckle straps -- didn't even consider they may carry the bike axle locks.  Was hoping someone had personal experience with a few options that could give me some good insight, but I'll probably just nab something and give it the good old trial and error

Just now, Hellmutt said:

Damnit Jim, I just placed an order with Etrailer last week for a bunch of Cargobuckle straps -- didn't even consider they may carry the bike axle locks.  Was hoping someone had personal experience with a few options that could give me some good insight, but I'll probably just nab something and give it the good old trial and error

You can buy the generic locking gizmo's at any bike store and mod it to fit whatever else you got laying around that fits in the rails. Like these:

http://www.amazon.com/RockyMounts-013-9mm-Clutch/dp/B001PTBRX4/ref=sr_1_4?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1456772244&sr=1-4&refinements=p_n_format_browse-bin%3A491462011

I've seen a lot of people use pvc pipe setups on the Internet. Check out mtbr forums and you should find some good diy info. 

But I think most go the axle route like tonic said. 

Edited by Mykill