Quick Shifters - any down side?

Tpoppa

From my understanding they work as if you were doing a clutchless upshift or downshift. ECU either cuts the ignition or cuts fueling to the engine ever so briefly, to take the inertial forces off the drivetrain just long enough to bump into the next gear into place. Cant be that bad for it since our bikes can inherently do that from factory (if executed correctly). Wouldnt be the first time I'm wrong though.

Edited by TimTheAzn

Clutchless shifts have the potential to damage transmission gears. Theres also the greater likeyhood of missed shifts and resulting over rev. Comes down to technique, if youre the shit and never mis time your throttle chop and lever action, should be cool. Ive personally never had using the clutch slow me down that much, mine is adjusted to grab pretty far out on the lever and i just dump it after i change gears.

I had an s1000 that had a factory "shift assist".

The BMW quick shift worked at all throttle inputs. A lot of the aftermarket units are for WOT only.

In all honesty though, for street riding a quick shifter is not only in-necessary, it's impractical and you'll find yourself rarely using it other than just messing around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I am guessing he is looking into this because of the medical issue he is fighting. Less hand input = less nerves telling him to fuck off. lol.

Winnar! Winnar!

You win your choice of 3 snarky comments, or some unsolicited (but highly prized) cornering advice at a gas stop in SE Ohio. 

• Upvote 1

I have the Leo Vince FAST Shift setup on my CBR and it gets used on occasion. If it wasn't installed when I bought the bike, I don't think it would be on my list of things to buy for a bike that spends it's time on the street.

IMG_20160206_171231580.jpg